POP solo?

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
I am planning my first solo trip for next May. Is the Pop a good choice, or should I upgrade to a delux hotel to be closer to everything? I should add that I am kind of nervous about this. In my 37 (almost 38) years I have never taken a vacation by myself.

Although I've never done Pop solo, I've done all the types of Disney resorts solo-Value, Moderate, Delux, and Home away from Home. My favorite is the Home away from Home (OK, maybe I'm biased here-I am a DVC member). However, before we joined DVC, my favorite was the moderates-specifically POR. Value resorts were my least favorite, the place where I felt least comfortable, not due to lack of proximity to the parks, but because when I went, there seemed to be alot of groups, both school groups and single friends. Everyone around be at the Value resorts seemed so much younger than me, I felt like I stuck out (I'm sure it was just my imagination, but that's how I felt). At all the other resorts, there seemed to be greater age diversity. I've taken 6 solo trips (that is, so far!)-please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I've stayed at almost all the resorts solo. I agree about the value resorts sometimes.

May I suggest two options - POR is great solo, or consider Coronado Springs. It is a moderate with a lot of extras, and since it is a convention hotel, there are lots of singles. Extra benefit that a lot of conventioneers never even go to the parks, so busses are often empty. (I had a friend who went to a convention there and never even realized he was going to a Disney hotel until he arrived!)

But if your budget doesn't allow it, enjoy the value resorts anyways - you are at Disney after all!

Personally, I wouldn't stay at Pop without kids unless I was on a serious budget. I like the place a lot and do plan to stay there this Jan with my son, but think it's too noisy for adults who are maybe looking for some place a little quieter.

Having said that, most of the noise that I heard was from adults (yelling to friends and family from far away, whistling, etc). Also, we just returned from a noisy 2 night stay at WL (again, for the most part noisy adults) so that kind of rudeness can happen anywhere...

T&B

i am going to disagree with everyone.

I found PC quite nice for solo....

get a room in building 50 - if you can - they do generally put the older folks over here.....

then park where the map says - the parking lot has changed because of the 60's - but they haven't changed their map.....

so park in the 60's parking lot right in front of the 50's building.... It was originally 50's parking....or until they change the map!

get above the first floor - I like the 4th! - to kept noise to a minimum.

It has elevators.

loved the food court - very cute, and gift shops will bring old memories....this is the only value with a lounge - it also has a bar out by the main pool.

I enjoyed this resort - and I am staying here again in Nov.

My mother really enjoys their swimming pool - does not like the rooms and hates the walk to the food court/bus stop.

however she agrees to stay there - because the pools are very nice!

christine - just say when you are going to be there - check on the meet site - there is generally some Disser's going.....

there is lots of ways to meet people at WDW if you want too...

I stayed at the Pop Century last spring break after the family went home. It was great and safe,but I find I like to ppl watch, and the deluxes have a lobby to do that.

If money was no object(Don't I wish), I would upgrade to moderate, or a deluxe in the Epcot area. Always stuff to do, and you can walk to 2 parks.

But you will have fun what ever you decide to do.

Susan

If money is not an object I would upgrade to POR. We had stayed at Value resorts and Deluxe resorts but never in the middle. We just got back from WDW 3 weeks ago and we were originally going to stay at PC but I read good things about POR and decided for the extra $30 a night we would give it a shot. My DH was very hesitant. We don't have kids and I wanted something a little nicer. Don't get me wrong I loved PC but POR was perfect. We walked by the bar one night and there was someone playing a piano and everyone was singing along. It was great! I would go back to POR in a heart beat! Even my DH was glad we changed to POR.

Just got back from POP solo on the 12th. It was my first time staying at that resort. For $49.00 a night, I would stay yhere again, actually, I am in December. If I didn't get that rate, I would have upgraded to a Moderate. I felt that POP was too far from everything, and the buses were always full.
I didn't feel uncomfortable at all eating alone in the food court. I enjoyed the food there, and ate most dinners there.
Bob:earsboy:

you can people watch at PC - just get a table outside - or inside in the food court area....

also the sitting area in the front desk area ....

I stayed at Pop for the first time this past May with my DH, DD, DS, sister,and b-i-l. I am going solo for the first time in January and was booked at Pop again. I didn't get to explore last time, and wanted to walk around and look at all the other buidings. But then, AP discounts came out and I couldn't get one at Pop. So for the great savings, I switched to ASMu with an AP discount. This is my first solo trip and I'm a little nervous. But mostly just about the flight. I'll be fine in the parks and am only planning on eating at counter-service, so dining is fine, too. The only other thing I'm a little apprehensive about is being in the room alone in the middle of the night. I think I'll just keep the TV on so it's not TOO quiet! And I may splurge and get a preferred room just so I won't have to take a chance on having to walk to the farthest room alone at night (which would be my luck).

Debbie:earsgirl:

I am heading back to POP Feb 1: this will be my second solo trip to POP and I think that it is a great solo spot. You will never be nor never feel alone here. Plus the benefit of being on disney property is the ability to go to other disney properities to try out the restaurants, shops, walking and sitting areas. As for being too far from everything: nope, not at all. just catch the right bus and you as magically wisked to where you wish to be. Remember you do not have to go directly to and from this hotel to anywhere; change buses to get to where you are going. Best place to change from is Animal Kingdom which is only five minutes away via Disney transportation. Try going to Coronado Springs for Dinner then to Downtown Disney for dessert at Ghiradillis' then back to POP: a great adventure.

I stayed at POP solo last January and it was just fine. I picked POP mainly to save money, and because I did not need a fancy pool since it was winter anyways. I was in the 60's on ground level, which was great since I was not "out in the boonies" (which usually happens to me on solo trips!). I like being near others and where people pass by, so not to feel isolated. I thought POP had the best food court, since they had a great variety of choices. I prefer food courts as a solo anyways, since sit-down restaurants sometimes are awkward for me. Buses ran frequently with no problems. :)

Only thing I really missed were the wandering, lush paths and sidewalks, and beautiful landscaping of the moderates or deluxes, but the money I saved was worth it! :cool:

Originally posted by bobf320 I felt that POP was too far from everything, and the buses were always full. [/B]
Really? I had an excellent experience with the Pop busses. First, I found them to be MUCH better than the All-Stars, because you don't share a bus (most of the busses at the All-Stars are shared among themselves). Of course during opening/closing time the busses are usually full, but they always send more.

As to being close to everything, I felt very close to anything I wanted to go to - except the Magic Kingdom, which did seem a bit further away. About a 10-12 minute bus ride. Epcot and MGM were less than 5 minutes each, and AK was 7-8.

If you are looking for concierge level service, for your bed to be turned down, and a red carpet, Pop isn't for you. If you are just looking for a clean, friendly, VERY-Disney atmosphere, and for excellent transportation to the parks, it really can't be beat.

N.E.D.

Originally posted by NewEnglandDisney
Really? I had an excellent experience with the Pop busses. First, I found them to be MUCH better than the All-Stars, because you don't share a bus (most of the busses at the All-Stars are shared among themselves). Of course during opening/closing time the busses are usually full, but they always send more.

As to being close to everything, I felt very close to anything I wanted to go to - except the Magic Kingdom, which did seem a bit further away. About a 10-12 minute bus ride. Epcot and MGM were less than 5 minutes each, and AK was 7-8.

If you are looking for concierge level service, for your bed to be turned down, and a red carpet, Pop isn't for you. If you are just looking for a clean, friendly, VERY-Disney atmosphere, and for excellent transportation to the parks, it really can't be beat.

N.E.D.

I totally agree with you!!::yes:: ::yes:: :D :D

Debbie:earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter