• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop-ups and small dog

Tigger-riffic Tracy

Earning My Ears
Can I take my small dog (5 lbs) and camp with a pop-up at Fort Wilderness? AC is a given...but he will be staying in the camper in his kennel while we go to the parks. Has anyone else camped with animals with a pop-up?
Tracy

Curious to see the answers to this also- since we'll probably have a small travel trailer or pop up next year when we go- and also have a small dog (MinPin). From everything I'm reading there are stipulations on how you can keep a dog with you, no matter the size/having A/C/etc.- but I can't remember what the stipulations are. I know it has to be in a certain loop or something also? If I had to kennel him there- I'd just kennel him here at home- I know I can trust her, she walks them/etc, and she's a lot cheaper! LOL

Sorry - FW does not allow animals to be kept in pop-ups while you're not there. They will ask you to keep him in the kennels.

They are allowed to stay in hard-sided campers (motorhomes, etc) if the air conditioning is running.

You can have a dog in a pop-up as long as you are in there with it. You're not to leave the dog alone in a pop-up or tent. You can keep them in a hard sided trailer while you're at the parks, as long as it has A/C. Now we have left our dog alone for an hour or so in our pop-up and we know she does fine, of course with A/C.
We hear dogs barking in hard sided trailers during the day while the owners are gone and we are walking by. So you know a dog will be heard in a pop-up if barking, so I wouldn't go against the rules.

I have heard during busy seasons the kennels fill up and you can call ahead and reserve a spot.

There are pet loops 300, 1500 - 1900, and newly added 800.

I hope even those with hard sided trailers that have a barking dog would kennel them. As a dog owner we would never complain of another dog, however we listened to a dog barking all day long in a motor home next to us in May everyday. Some dogs remain quiet, but others will bark at every sound, put your dog to a test by making it think you leave and see how it behaves. Baby monitors are a good way to test also, or just ask the neighbors to listen while you go for a walk.
Hope this helps, we actually just leave our dog home now with sitters, just more enjoyable to not worry about her.

I don't believe 1500 is a pet loop. It never was before. 1600-1900 are, however.

The kennels at FW are very nice. We have always boarded our dog there and picked him up in the evening to stay overnight with us. Up until last year, we camped in a pop up. Even though we have a hard side now, we still kennel him. He doesn't like to be alone and the staff at the kennel give him lots of attention.

I think this is one rule that FW doesn't bend on, and probably shouldn't. It really wouldn't be fair to the other campers to have to listen to a barking dog while the owners are away all day having fun at the parks. The kennel is very reasonably priced and I think a very nice service for the guests. If you have any questions about the kennel, I would be more than happy to answer them the best I can. We have used this service for the last 6 years.

:D

I agree, pets are only permitted in pop ups when you are on the site.

The pet loops the last time I heard were:

1600 - 1900 Full hook up pet loops

300 & 700 Preferred pet loops

But, this is one of the few places where Disney really drops the ball. The 300 loop has been a preferred pet loop for at least a couple of years now and the 700 loop has recently been added, but Central Reservations (CRO) does not have the information in their computer. According to CRO the 300 loop is a "test" and will end soon. But, talk to the cast members at FW and they will tell you the 300 & 700 loops are pet loops and can be reserved that way.

Sorry for the mis-information...the1500 is not a pet loop and it is 700 not 800 as FtWilderness guy and Tim state. The 300 and 700 are closer to the Marina.

Good thing I write stuff down, just can't rely on the old memory as much anymore:eek: .

Thanks everyone for the information. At least I now know that he can stay with us at night. I would have never left him in the camper all day to bark while we was gone....so that is understandable. The kennel at Disney has air right? What about the close proximity to larger dogs. That would scare our dog worse than being left alone all day.
Thanks,
Tracy

I probably wouldn't take my dog anyway- kennel him here locally where I know they have dog runs, take them walking, and they groom animals there too and do so with the kenneled dogs while there and very reasonably priced too!
But I was curious about it- so the only reason not in pop ups is the barking issue??? Because we have been looking around and all the pop ups we've seen all have a/c just like the travel trailers, motorhomes, etc. Sometimes they work (cooler/blow harder) even better! Maybe because it's such a smaller place they have to keep cool. LOL

So it can't be the worrying about the dog overheating- so it's the barking issue only? Couldn't you put a muzzle on the dog or some other device that keeps them from barking? I've never used these- but I have heard there are ways to keep a real "barky" dog from barking -atleast when you don't want them barking like at night/etc. What if you have a dog that ISN'T a barker? That seems like a silly reason to not allow ANY dogs to stay in your camper.

No, it is not just a barking issue. It is not difficult for just about any dog to escape from a tent or pop up. Canvas is not difficult to chew thru.

Aluminum on the other hand is a bit more difficult.

Well, that is only a problem if they are left LOOSE in the pop up. If I ever wanted to leave (assuming it was okay to do there- which obviously it is NOT) -I'd kennel the dog anyway. I don't think my minpin will EVER be able to break through a kennel and then escape through a pop up camper also. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter