Port adventures Caymans, Jamaica and Cozumel

Docmum

Momoftwo
Hi,

we are planning for our Western Caribbean Cruise in Nov./Dec. and are seeking advice from experienced cruisers... .

Actually, our main interest for all of these ports would be a beautiful beach, relaxing, and swimming in the ocean. We all love the crystalclear salty water, the fish and so on.
So may question is, if you would suggest we do that with DCL port adventures ( and if so, which one do you recommend for each port?) or if you would think we should/could grab a cab and head to a beach nearby?

Would there be any security issues in going without an organized tour, from your point of view (Cozumel)? Would we have to go to a public beach or a resort beach, where we would have to pay an admission?

We are going with our 6 and 10 year old kids, who love to spend their entire day in the water.

Any ideas are deeply appreciated !

Thanks a lot!

No issues in Cozumel. Grab a taxi and head to Paradise Beach. They have a nice beach, a great pool, and an excellent poolside restaurant. Cost is $3 pp for your beach chair by pool/beach. You don't have to get the other package that includes all the inflatable water toys at the beach. Our daughter loved it there.

Seven Mile Beach is the place to go on GC. We've always taken a taxi but I believe you can take a bus.

We haven't gone to any beaches on Falmouth but did the river tubing trip on the Rio Bueno and loved it. Some people are nervous about safety in Falmouth so you might feel more comfortable getting a day pass at one of the beaches.

Not sure if you consider a snorkeling trip in your future, but we did the Stingray City Reef Sail & Snorkel in the Grand Caymans (G09) and it was AMAZING. It hooked the whole family on snorkeling./

edit: Our kids were 11, 9 & 9 when we did this. Had to drag the twins out of the water.

Prefer Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. Very quiet and relaxing beach, with excellent service. Just a short taxi ride from the cruise pier.

Great, all of you thanks a lot for these tips! We definetely will be checking that out! Makes us a bit more comfortable in just going on our own.

I second Paradise Beach in Cozumel. In Grand Cayman we took a taxi to Royal Palms. It was similar in that it was a nice clean beach, however not the same water toys/activities that Paradise Beach has.

Seems as if we'll be on the same cruise ☺️

We've made reservations for Port Adventures in Cozumel and Jamaica, and we're planning to visit the Turtle Farm and Seven Mile Beach on our own (by local Bus) on Grand Cayman with our two boys (5 and 1 year old). I hope it all works well and the wheather will be fine so that we won't skip a harbour.

We went to Grand Cayman last November for Thanksgiving, not via cruise. But I can tell you the best snorkeling spot (tip from a local) and the beach is nice too is Smith's Cove (on the map it may be called baccaderre or something). This is on South Sound Drive, close to Georgetown so it wouldn't be a far taxi ride. They may have a shuttle there as well. The beach has nice shady spots, an outdoor shower, and restrooms. It's not the crowded seven mile beach scene with fake tire corals. The snorkeling is absolutely amazing. Tip, head out and turn to the left. Schools and schools of fish amongst natural corals. We swam and snorkeled there for almost 3 hours, just couldn't get enough. Do make sure you do the sand shuffle anywhere around Cayman as there are skates and stingrays in the sand.

I would agree with dcassetta, Nachi Cocom in Cozumel is amazing

In Grand Cayman, you have to see Stingrays and snorkel. Even the 6 years old will love it, i've taken mine since they were much younger and love the catamarans as they are stable and comfortable for kids plus lots of room, you aren't squeezed in next to other people. Stingray City Catamaran

For Falmouth, there is Dunns' River falls and river tubing, if they love the water:) https://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/excursions/dunns-falls-river-tubing-falmouth/

We are doing the following on our upcoming Western Caribbean Cruise:

Cozumel: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/cozumel-mexico-cozumels-beach-break/
Grand Cayman: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/grand-cayman-rum-point-beach-adventure
*Tiki Beach was our first choice but it is not available to book and according to a recent review on TripAdvisor it has closed, which if true is a real shame it was a very nice beach!​
Falmouth Jamaica: Margaritaville at the Port

Cozumel: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/cozumel-mexico-cozumels-beach-break/
Grand Cayman: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/grand-cayman-rum-point-beach-adventure
*Tiki Beach was our first choice but it is not available to book and according to a recent review on TripAdvisor it has closed, which if true is a real shame it was a very nice beach!​
Gotta get the rum point mudslide with the rum filled straw.....still dreaming of it!

Cozumel - another vote for Paradise Beach by cab. My kids (older teens) and my niece/nephew (5 + 8) loved it and so did the adults. We've been 4 times I think. One caveat, we suspect 2 people in our party got food poisoning from the salsa there on one trip. It ruined the next 2 days for my husband, my son recovered in one day. No issues any other trip.

Grand Cayman - yes you can easily take a cab to Public Beach on Seven Mile Island. We're doing that on our upcoming trip. But if this is your first trip, you should really do an excursion to Sting Ray City. It's a once in a lifetime thing, I can't recommend it highly enough. There are many charter boats that will take you in any group size/price range you like. We used Cayman Luxury Charters our last two visits and they were amazing, highly recommend. https://caymanluxurycharters.com/

Falmouth, Jamaica - I haven't done a beach day there but I love, love, love Irie Blue Hole with Liberty Tours Jamaica. We are doing this again on our upcoming trip. Whatever you do, don't wander outside the port shopping area gates without pre-arranging a tour with a recommended tour operator. It is not a safe area.

Thanks for posting this. While I know the other excursions are cheaper when taken on your own, these are not that much more once those taxi fares are added into the pricing.

Thank you SO much for all your responses and info! That' s SO awesome!!
Sorry for responding so late, but all these terrible hurricane news of Irma and actually Maria had me speechless, hoping for everyone to get out of harms way!
Coming from a place where we only have strong winds around 100/120 mph if it's bad, and very solid buildings, I can hardly imagine what the impact of cat.5 hurricanes mean to all those living in the area! We hope and pray for all those affected!
In the light of these extreme nature phenomenon, I was somehow ashamed to think and talk about our upcoming cruise... luxury, first world "problems".
Right now, after a long and busy day, I have to admit that nevertheless I am looking forward to our days on the cruise, still feeling guilty.
Nala84, we may see you and your family on board ! We will be the family where we (DD and I) will have each day another Disney dress.... sewing like crazy right now, to get everything ready until then.... ... still working on some nice stuff for "the boys"(DS and DH), although it's more difficult to sew for them ... not so many options except shirts and casual beach pants.... I just started sewing two years ago, so I am not a great seamstress but I love it! Sitting on deck of the Fantasy, in a nice, shady place, looking over the ocean and having the brother Disney Dream machine as sewing and embroidery machine to work at... sigh..... well, I can dream...

So again, thank you for all your great ideas, comments and tips! I really appreciate it a lot !

Thank you all for your advice. We will be going to these ports in August of 2018 and are now looking at what is available and what sounds interesting. You have given us much to talk about and look into. :love: Love you folks here on the Disboard and the way you come together to help!

My boys are 9 and 6 and we're doing:

Cozumel: Nachi Cocum
GC: Nativeway stingray Snorkel
Falmouth: Port/Margaritaville

Seems as if we'll be on the same cruise ☺️

We've made reservations for Port Adventures in Cozumel and Jamaica, and we're planning to visit the Turtle Farm and Seven Mile Beach on our own (by local Bus) on Grand Cayman with our two boys (5 and 1 year old). I hope it all works well and the wheather will be fine so that we won't skip a harbour.

We have similar aged kids - which port adventures did you choose? We are going in January!

We went to Grand Cayman last November for Thanksgiving, not via cruise. But I can tell you the best snorkeling spot (tip from a local) and the beach is nice too is Smith's Cove (on the map it may be called baccaderre or something). This is on South Sound Drive, close to Georgetown so it wouldn't be a far taxi ride. They may have a shuttle there as well. The beach has nice shady spots, an outdoor shower, and restrooms. It's not the crowded seven mile beach scene with fake tire corals. The snorkeling is absolutely amazing. Tip, head out and turn to the left. Schools and schools of fish amongst natural corals. We swam and snorkeled there for almost 3 hours, just couldn't get enough. Do make sure you do the sand shuffle anywhere around Cayman as there are skates and stingrays in the sand.
What is the sand shuffle? Will water shoes protect you from this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!