Port Orleans Riverside?

BriLovesDisney

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

We are super excited to be going back to Disney this coming December and have decided to try out a moderate resort instead of a deluxe or value. We are thinking about staying at Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room). For those of you who have stayed at Port Orleans - Riverside what are the advantages and disadvantages?

We don't use pools, so that doesn't matter to us. Transportation is the biggest concern for us. I've heard Disney transportation at moderates can be a little dicey. Do Riverside and French Quarter share buses? Also, for those of you that have stayed in a Royal Room - did you like it? Any information is appreciated :) Thanks!

Transportation is the biggest concern for us. I've heard Disney transportation at moderates can be a little dicey.

Other than the boat to Disney Springs it's buses. The buses are the buses, are the buses, are the buses no matter which resort or category. No better or worse than anywhere.

Do Riverside and French Quarter share buses?

Sometimes . It's rare, but they sometimes do during real slow parts of the day.

Can't speak for POR, but we've stayed at POFQ twice and rarely shared busses with POR.
We found the bus service at POFQ to be pretty good.

Other than the boat to Disney Springs it's buses. The buses are the buses, are the buses, are the buses no matter which resort or category. No better or worse than anywhere.

Sometimes . It's rare, but they sometimes do during real slow parts of the day.

Thanks!

Hi All,

We are super excited to be going back to Disney this coming December and have decided to try out a moderate resort instead of a deluxe or value. We are thinking about staying at Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room). For those of you who have stayed at Port Orleans - Riverside what are the advantages and disadvantages?

We don't use pools, so that doesn't matter to us. Transportation is the biggest concern for us. I've heard Disney transportation at moderates can be a little dicey. Do Riverside and French Quarter share buses? Also, for those of you that have stayed in a Royal Room - did you like it? Any information is appreciated :) Thanks!

Hi we stayed in the royal room when my DD was about 10 and we all enjoyed it. The decor is cute and I am glad we did. We didn't need to stay in it again. The one thing is though the two mansions that have the Royal Rooms are the furthest from the path. They are in Oak and Parterre. It was fine for us we don't mind walking a little extra.

We love the food court at POR it had a lot of choices and was reasonable.

I only remember sharing buses a couple of times.

The grounds are pretty and love the boat to Disney Springs.

Happy Planning

Hi we stayed in the royal room when my DD was about 10 and we all enjoyed it. The decor is cute and I am glad we did. We didn't need to stay in it again. The one thing is though the two mansions that have the Royal Rooms are the furthest from the path. They are in Oak and Parterre. It was fine for us we don't mind walking a little extra.

We love the food court at POR it had a lot of choices and was reasonable.

I only remember sharing buses a couple of times.

The grounds are pretty and love the boat to Disney Springs.

Happy Planning

Thanks for the info. Were the royal rooms super far from the bus stop? I've heard there are multiple bus stops at POR, not sure if that's accurate or not. Would you say the rooms are too kid themed for young adults to enjoy it?

Thanks for the info. Were the royal rooms super far from the bus stop? I've heard there are multiple bus stops at POR, not sure if that's accurate or not.

It is, there's 4 stops.

Would you say the rooms are too kid themed for young adults to enjoy it?

In our opinion, not at all. They are a Royal Theme, not kid themed.

You might want to check out this website. Everything you could possibly need to know about POR and POFQ.

http://www.portorleans.org

We have stayed at both POFQ and por. I can’t remember taking the bus and NOT stopping at both resorts. I’m surprised so many people said the opposite. Maybe it’s because we went at the end of February but when we stayed at por we always stopped at POFQ too. Didn’t change our opinion about the resort. After POFQ, por is our favorite resort.

We found the bus service hit or miss. Like @dansdad said--it's spotty across levels. We've had equally horrible bus service at the Grand Floridian. I love POR--it's definitely sprawling. Landscaping is just beautiful and the food court is terrific. My personal favorite moderate.

I agree with dansdad, the buses are the buses are the buses. There is good and bad service everywhere, I've stayed at every level and just about every resort and have had long waits and no waits.

POR is a beautiful resort, I haven't stayed in a Royal Room because, frankly I'm just too cheap. I was in Magnolia Mansion, which is right next to the building where the royal rooms are and found the walk to the main buildings quick and easy. There was a bus stop right behind the building. Sometimes I would walk over to the main stop and sometimes get on at the stop behind the building, just depended on my mood. There are lots of really pretty places to sit and just chill, I would do my morning walk around the entire resort then go to POFQ and back to one of the little dead end trails near the pool that were at the lake to do my yoga early in the mornings. I don't do DS but the boat there would be a good thing if you do.

We stayed at POR in a garden view room in the Bayou section in March 2014. We loved it! The first bus stop (the West stop?) was right behind our building which was nice. We shared a bus with POFQ maybe once or twice? I don't remember exactly, but it was usually just POR. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

That being said, our only complaint (and it is a minor one), is that rooms can be far from the dining hall. But I think that is probably true of any large resort.

We have stayed at both POFQ and por. I can’t remember taking the bus and NOT stopping at both resorts. I’m surprised so many people said the opposite. Maybe it’s because we went at the end of February but when we stayed at por we always stopped at POFQ too. Didn’t change our opinion about the resort. After POFQ, por is our favorite resort.

We stayed at POFQ 6 years ago during Thanksgiving Week and always shared a bus with POR. We are staying in a RR at POR this Thanksgiving. We don’t have kids but figured to give it a try they look so amazing.

I stayed at POR in a RR once.
It was amazing!
I wanted to steal the Sultan bench.
I loved the gift shop, lounge, restaurant, and food court.
Loved the boat transportation to DS although it does take a bit of time so use it as long as you are looking for a relaxed ride and are not in a hurry.
I'm not a fan of how the bus stops are set up as I prefer designated lines opposed to standing there all together waiting to see what bus was coming next and trying to figure out if everyone was going to that park or if it was only a few so I could access if I was going to be able to sit or have to stand.
I believe I was able to sit each and every time though.
Yes they share buses but POR is generally the first to be picked up if they do share.

I agree with dansdad, the buses are the buses are the buses. There is good and bad service everywhere, I've stayed at every level and just about every resort and have had long waits and no waits.

POR is a beautiful resort, I haven't stayed in a Royal Room because, frankly I'm just too cheap. I was in Magnolia Mansion, which is right next to the building where the royal rooms are and found the walk to the main buildings quick and easy. There was a bus stop right behind the building. Sometimes I would walk over to the main stop and sometimes get on at the stop behind the building, just depended on my mood. There are lots of really pretty places to sit and just chill, I would do my morning walk around the entire resort then go to POFQ and back to one of the little dead end trails near the pool that were at the lake to do my yoga early in the mornings. I don't do DS but the boat there would be a good thing if you do.

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm lucky and have never had bad bus experience (yet). We do DS but generally don't like boat transport haha. I'm glad that getting to the main area and bus stop sounds easy. That was our biggest concern. :)

I stayed at POR in a RR once.
It was amazing!
I wanted to steal the Sultan bench.
I loved the gift shop, lounge, restaurant, and food court.
Loved the boat transportation to DS although it does take a bit of time so use it as long as you are looking for a relaxed ride and are not in a hurry.
I'm not a fan of how the bus stops are set up as I prefer designated lines opposed to standing there all together waiting to see what bus was coming next and trying to figure out if everyone was going to that park or if it was only a few so I could access if I was going to be able to sit or have to stand.
I believe I was able to sit each and every time though.
Yes they share buses but POR is generally the first to be picked up if they do share.

I'm glad you enjoyed the RR. They look so beautiful in the photos! Not having designated lanes seems a bit of a hassle. I am wondering what the rhyme or reason is for when they share busses?

We stayed at POFQ 6 years ago during Thanksgiving Week and always shared a bus with POR. We are staying in a RR at POR this Thanksgiving. We don’t have kids but figured to give it a try they look so amazing.

Hope you enjoy your stay! They do look amazing :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!