Posh Noshing: The One where Elsbit turns 40, falls apart, and but still eats Awesome -Concluded 12.15

I am so excited about your harambe nights experience as we’ve just booked this for our trip in February. I hope they don’t cut back on it as the variety is really what sold us on it! Did you have a favourite dish you tried? Really enjoying your report thanks for sharing!

It is hard to pick a favorite! In photos 1 and 4, I liked the meat pies dish and I am not a meat pie type person, the tomato dish in the husk type bowl- it was light and refreshing on a hot day, and the Tofaa, which was like a Carmel apple, but different from the caramel I am used to.

@DaisyNY I definitely felt like it was special!

It is hard to pick a favorite! In photos 1 and 4, I liked the meat pies dish and I am not a meat pie type person, the tomato dish in the husk type bowl- it was light and refreshing on a hot day, and the Tofaa, which was like a Carmel apple, but different from the caramel I am used to.

@DaisyNY I definitely felt like it was special!

Thanks for replying! I’m Australian so am very familiar with a meat pie. Will be interested to try their take on it! Thanks again and looking forward to your next update!

Wow, Harambe Nights looks and sounds absolutely amazing. Jetting off now to google the heck out of it because you have me very, very intrigued!

Joining in on all the deliciousness! Like Kari, I must now go and find out everything about Harambe Nights. Definitely on my must do list!

Totally worth it! I didn't mention that we also received parting gifts (drinking glasses), as well as got to select a wooden African animal bead of our choice to make necklaces and there was a kids coloring station with high quality animal information coloring books. :D

Wow, Harambe Nights looks and sounds absolutely amazing. Jetting off now to google the heck out of it because you have me very, very intrigued!

Kari, having read your trip reports, I really do think your family will enjoy this. Not to mention, unlimited alcohol with lots of options will make for a fun drunken Kari food post to decipher. :rotfl:

Loving your report so far. You have a great writing style! How fun to celebrate the big 4-0 at Disney. Love how you were able to add a few days ahead of your cruise -- it was meant to be! I am with you on Oga's and I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I understand the business reasons behind no chairs and pre-mixed drinks but it just makes me a little sad to think of what it *could* be. I had the same congealed cheese experience with the raclette. It is definitely hard sometimes to have an appetite for the heavier dishes when out in the FL heat. You certainly have me very intrigued by the evening event at Animal Kingdom. I feel like I keep up with the WDW news pretty well but hadn't heard of this. It looks and sounds amazing!! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Kona Cafe & the First Sign I was falling apart

So, I had always heard of the dreaded Disney rash. In fact, while on this trip, I was on the monorail and noticed that an older gentleman had the rash and thought poor guy, I wonder if he has ever heard of it. Yeah, you know what happens next. This is like the time last year when I thought to myself, I have never had poison ivy or any type of rash like that. I am so lucky. Then bam! I had poison oak all over my arms 3 weeks later. Le sigh. I got the rash after the day we walked 20+ miles due to the super early magic hours at HS, then Epcot, and then AK at night. Yep. Dr. Google told me it is also known as the “Epcot Rash. *shakes fist at Epcot, I knew you were my last favorite park for a reason!!!* Dr. Google also told me that the medical name for the Disney rash is Exercise-Induced Vasculitis and it is caused by a combination of hot weather (check), sunlight exposure (check, I was wearing a skirt and sandals), and prolonged periods of walking/exercising outdoors (triple check). Luckily, it only stung a bit. I was really only worried that I would not be able to get the couples massage I had booked for our cruise, but luckily, it was a non issue. Nonetheless, it was my first sign that getting older was making me fall apart on this trip. Ha ha.

Because we were staying at the Poly, we decided to grab breakfast at Kona. My last trip report mentioned that I had eaten dinner there and was not happy with the menu changes. Despite this, I decided to go for breakfast because I really wanted the macadamia pancakes that I had in the past. Our waitress was sweet, a little dingy, but very sweet. She brought me a free birthday cupcake and we had fun joking with her about her singing abilities.

Qlj5YZBXxj994YQY-Gz2x-ti6RI1-3imIKM63uw1MD1WIx_e1OzyB6x3T3yC6Ue3Juuv7CuzGGHOx1rrIXiwEDm9n7bcVgE7H7P6Jv6gukyVv-xsP9rU14AOOxq6QHd8JAQA2Pty

The hubster decided to get Tonga Toast, which I already knew from past experiences, I did not like. I sampled it again and still didn’t like it for the same reason, too fried tasting and it is dry. But I also do not funnel cake, so take my opinion on it for whatever it is worth. Tonga Toast will set you back $16.00.

-38hqrNClvjTJ3GtU6Bgbmmp5dFNRHANugYtBL-hIgQcroSBJfVKkDtJL8d69SpXX33rUabSYZqX7AEUTUiaTR1dCb8l2Xs3qiZIdaspoqvfKk9jbgTW0Db0zytEoUX487vH1Sm-

Tonga Toast is dusted in cinnamon sugar, stuffed with bananas, and is accompanied by strawberry sauce.

90O0XA9VKEkLNC7C7HPrhbNrG9i1_dk-EXHFBxYvBfP2hXHFIbIjxvO1tvPQNnDYrcvRFaPSZnDXs-E26mXvp_OpxYj7lScSOvy1N2EsUpczkuKsEheAORHdkiAHoccolsorNrr-

My pancakes were chock full of nuts, just like before. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but it tasted slightly different, maybe dryer? I had liked the pancakes the time prior much better. I would get it again though, because different cooks sometimes cause things to taste differently. Now, I am not a big sausage person, but I really like the sausage at Kona. To myself, I call them Polynesian sausages, but really have not idea what they are. I like that they are plump and the outside is crisp and firm and the inside is soft and a good flavor, but not in your face sausage flavored. How do you like that totally weird description? :rotfl:

ziWB90T1UdJtbiSBatMUcfLKM1FQtY7uOw_KUXP0O_mc7Zr5GI8HlQs89n78FgXVUYxoW3QnLctuYpw547vVAYqkeRNBcaFpk1OFLI7TtOreoEQsyf7CW0YlxuL_O2pNjrXa536U

I never order juice, except at Disney where I can order POG juice. Be still my heart. It was so delicious with breakfast. They call it Liliko'i Juice there.My pancakes were topped off with pineapple and macadamia nut butter. Super yum! I love that butter. It ranks up there after my homemade Amaretto butter that I put on acorn squash 😋 It was a sizable portion, that I did not finish as I knew we had some fabulous lunch plans on the horizon and having the juice filled me up quickly. Juice is $6.50 and the pancakes were $14.00.

YQWw4yqGKQ-nQBWi54uKOLB2DoHRk1ORnmtljAE_U1Ni9aUehMkviIP2lOlIY7Pin_HULk4Tru0Tft3B8bRHNnY_IEVkcnVPo4-0tNVAUykHkMPCf1mQimPCnD9erC6DCcPrMDOi

While I still won’t return to Kona until the dinner menu changes again, I would stop for breakfast if we were staying at the resort. It was a chill environment, which I enjoyed.

Food and Wine Tequila Lunch

Okay guys, let me just tell you, that I was hands down super impressed by this lunch and I would totally do it again! I went into it with low expectations, as I am not a big Mexican food person, although my husband is, and I was uncertain how I felt about tequila, since it sometimes tastes like cigarettes to me. I booked it because I wanted to learn about tequila, it fit into our schedule, and I wanted to do a special Food and Wine event. Oh. My. Word. The food was SO damn good. And let me tell you, it was not the tequila talking that made me feel that way!

HApIoRGW8ZX-ETxQsTUXyCv5qYq6o8PLbDbEYYW9SJ46fVwU_yUVwPrpu3D5cBoLq-XAsqC8ReDWRXXOAy-o-6K-lVbVTUK39I9V1bUO4XM3-3fTJyskXtcFtaso88h0O7h52A1L
XzGFApmtbwtIPKq3fmbMUGdXHvyIbq7UBtOVIeGEbGBUsrG9RbbWog1sdHumgd7lOD5Yyyu0Y2TU2vml0fgSaOke57Mus2dFd9k3RpCXws51-02m-mIpcAV8HhkGOimt7qaPrXUP

We started off with a classic margarita, which was REALLY good and smooth.
JwzDnirqhh0w6dgaPwN456_C_6v3PmMnNcxtRUZJTS4eqagGuRn17O30gWwwdLSi6ySL50Yw6gLHqCAtSZiF-0WdI0Gn8qv2xr9Nqp0wmE6eWsFlFI7lWzevdPmFJpmaaQOkKnml

n83ptLRrj07bMTBRmGpuJO5UAKpAP6naQpbo8rH_ZOXl9Jga0nfwNpgq8TLPhc-cKoHf7X9jgqXNKZ74YTKvt4GHq0pcvdbDGZxiuPDAJ-myML73fAoU2ltJEPEODz8vy8m5htRm

NxLu46IemvfnTZ0tFvxl9KxZhRNITu4M4uVridGwrC4H9OtuXrmLln-ogMH7hCMu4RTPM7ZwBy1wyTBe1NvTgD7a-rRnCxqmsMskwxKLYYVUCJL64BD7mccTOkvmiD6kQJaPTd-w

That little shot glass was vodka, which we drank to clear our palette. We learned how to properly test tequila, which involved taking a deep breath, then taking a small sip of the tequila, swishing around in your mouth and then swallowing it. This keeps it from giving a burning feeling. We also smelled the items on the platter when we tasted certain tequilas. This was so we could pick up on flavor profiles of each tequila as we tasted them.

V7w3gfR8OdOfp_57aYMJTqm5d7_ERHhpmdgKuDCIXW06Zu3sTODyEsDLkVh7Gx6x44TpU9B3_s83aN6f70cziVIQOxGlExqv15k5ZKRitGJtYx-n6tgktMtoMb_1mvfD8dvoKfsS

Our host was oh-so-easy on the eyes! I snuck one picture, which does not do him justice. From online reports I had read, I was expecting Hilda, a female host, so I was surprised to see a gentleman. This was Humberto Soto, who is a tequila master. If you look closely, you can see that he is wearing a tequila horn around his neck. He was very informative.

sOYZWauyTp8x6U3AFW2eGbGGcTPpmy9qxozJ7-fd6_r0Rq7-0n7vC4Zqoh468yhxF1WevzKT0W2M5fw3xESaaoNO4aEdctWzm7b4yRVNMMs9UIHL3OzLIcEwsePr7wJA-4RwhDTS

I am not a big seafood person, but it is something I have been working on developing. This Swordfish Ceviche was my husband and my favorite dish.
mgI5npFo5nziqrTDMgbkfIaYa7GsaWxYoFvzC2SWetjPJyoAcbl9Tab01jOF7ssNw6k7TY1OSKdIFloCttA1p8UWfKjEw9WESD4YclFbd4gWMfWxWpVXNItkNyFlDNIkycCWVNNQ

Look how beautiful and fresh this looks!
VozB3jsJjkFXufM09ciz1FvRs8Qwz33O1Vn8Mu6PFC_EAFX4hNqi9xiM9A3w5H6pu9cl8jHe0TA5D63Cwi99s6Wcb33Cy7zlbRbnRhNfdKN0wGh9sD7kfhz8Xa-ZbltDB4V5N4wC

This next dish, Huarache de Hongos, was also great. It had crispy prosciutto, micro gtreens, red masa, oyster mushrooms, and truffle oil. It all went together so perfectly. The bottom of the masa was cripsed and the top was warm and soft.
Ed2RnEfTe164fMDr9uiBQC307z5_Wt4sEh8NiwSM_InGelp_SazFi1JWpcTdRhQpX1C0OIxwURvxAMhQizHH1AuUQd3tTmD8jylHST2-j69YT6PJJvSZVAMTJ5ozijVoyEjbox-E

GXtBj3dMDuLKxOw_rSjYji4XtRIo_yZsoiKZnKpW8U2jYvlEiv27TAXJCRfxvCIkrRXWrQz8tHqggPj6lKCcycEpWgUryG2EbpkwktQLr8yJR2voqVAE8KZ9moxljKNeobE7ZKYA

Oh how I love roasted brussel sprouts. This was the Filete con Salsa de Tres Chiles. Beef tenderloin, creamy red rice, and garlic roasted brussel sprouts. Tender, flavorful and delicious.
mSk8RzqHA713ugAAC2qurDo-QMm8nU5K-gsnuqD6tALLy_Uwa-Qm4raXkllwLLB1OP56K9bUoy0PdbufPymcYpTLuwfBZnFZL7nOqKnvYy3sBgd20V5H3PLfA7hOhvbmkvPdyvH2

DmiTnTngtjzHJqTiOORm_fFSapRnHDoQCZxXKZWy8oZ0d5XvuLaSa-0PPVuLKjWkZ6oWsX04XQH96otNp9F1Zr-ZnUHEcemjwwEXWuMpihZvFc2STl6vF8I5MRve2v_Vn3Rn_Dlb

For dessert, chocolate cheesecake with creme brulee and berries. Very rich and very delicious.
998mpoF-N5llA7A-iIuiCfZnVDwqMVNgtd01fLQldL-W7qdgul-gE17Lax1xHbtMzIfETrvr_I3Fci6nF2Y9gCuZEzVtRpX_WZOXXI62o-M1koDW0VKHkoQ1V86tiaZ-hkEYxCn7

jbjvUa20focTcDtnIK1oogvCHbbDJlZWKl4gI7hGlSdp7Cuf7ZNGQkgK8Pmmi4sQgfNihyfrIH0I6Ui6aZpZCIEaw_-rT9n5n-2ww8YkEcpHlhA45c9eYPGInZkrkmN-MvlaMRoC

Nal_qAYru3SFABzicLXfCN06obdbtiCT1LfwwdrmUi8oa8kjyDVsavu70F8DI4pN1fiFe7rz_WlgA72pmaZvRJByFZgoqlfxnKnq53Y0hnydNMgrF1F4FMDeB0ixLAaNXXcL3DXh

This meal was amazing. Every dish spoke to me and was so damn good! I know this might sound crazy to some, but it ranks up there with my Victoria and Albert’s meal. *hears jaws drop* For real. I have never eaten at this restaurant before La Hacienda de San Angel, so I have to know… is the regular day-to-day food at all like this special event? I was so pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it so much. This is a total recommendation, especially at $85 per person.

I am so regretting not doing the tequila lunch this year! I did it last year and had a similarly spectacular experience. I debated booking it this year but was doing the wine vs. beer event in Italy and decided not to do two. Argh! I obviously missed out. I enjoy La Hacienda for regular dinners (in fact am going on Thursday with the Candlelight Processional package) but I remember thinking that the food at the tequila lunch was extra good. Not sure why that would be. Maybe they get to be more creative when not having to factor in dining plan credits and such?

I'm glad to hear that the tequila lunch has been good before. I am hoping it is offered next fall when I am there. I hope your processional meal is just as great!

Your Kona breakfast was certainly a much different experience than ours. Note to self to stick to POG juice and pancakes next time.

Wow your Tequila lunch looks amazing!!! We'll be at F&W next year and I'm so looking forward to trying some of the special events. This is definitely one I'll be on the look out for.

Totally worth it! I didn't mention that we also received parting gifts (drinking glasses), as well as got to select a wooden African animal bead of our choice to make necklaces and there was a kids coloring station with high quality animal information coloring books. :D
You have me so wanting to book but the only option for our trip is on Christmas Day and my husband is already stoked about our plans that day. Do I risk rocking the boat? :laughing:

We also have a super busy son (6) and I worry about his inability to chill ruining our ability to eat/drink and actually enjoy all the things. And concerns with kids?

PS - is your profile caption grey street by any chance?:)

You have me so wanting to book but the only option for our trip is on Christmas Day and my husband is already stoked about our plans that day. Do I risk rocking the boat? :laughing:

We also have a super busy son (6) and I worry about his inability to chill ruining our ability to eat/drink and actually enjoy all the things. And concerns with kids?

PS - is your profile caption grey street by any chance?:)

Good catch on the profile quote! When I go with my family, I will have a 2, 8, and 11 year old there for the party. My 2 year old is on the go go go. The party does have stuff to engage the kids, with the coloring table, dancing, character meet and animal virtual reality. The first 2 stations don't really have a lot of seating, you are supposed to mingle and not linger forever, until you get to the last station, with the heavier food and full band and plenty of tables. There are kid friendly options to eat and drink. What are your plans for Christmas Day? Maybe this just means you need to schedule another trip. ;)

Wow your Tequila lunch looks amazing!!! We'll be at F&W next year and I'm so looking forward to trying some of the special events. This is definitely one I'll be on the look out for.

Given Casey's adventurous palate, she would be totally fine with the food. I guess you guys will have to take one for the team and drink all of her tequila. ha ha. I would be curious if they would allow kids to sit at the lunch. I cannot remember if I saw any... certainly not young ones. If allowed, I would bring my oldest daughter who is 11 and a total foodie. She would love it (sans the alcohol of course).

I agree with you, I think the filet in Canada tastes gamey. It is Canadian beef which is grass fed and produces beef tasting the way it is suppose to taste which is off tasting to me. We were raised with US beef which is primarily corn fed which is not healthy for the cows but the meat we grew up with doesn't have that gamey flavor. Many people prefer grass fed, I'm not one of them.

Canada-

Jeff did not care about getting the steak, as the heat was getting to him too, but I had wanted to try it. This was a fillet with wild mushrooms in truffle butter sauce. I enjoyed the sauce and mushrooms, I mean, hello, you had me at truffle butter! However, the meat tasted “aged”to me. It was not rancid meat or anything. The best way to describe it is that it tasted aged and I did not like that flavor profile because it was a strong and I don’t like strong meat flavors. My husband thought it tasted fine and did not know what I was talking about. It was tender.

Cheddar Soup- $5.25
Beef Fillet- $8.25

Wow, that is very interesting! Now I know not to order the meat from there!

Just started following . Glad to hear the sausage at Kona is good. I don't know what is Disney does but most sausage there is so-so at best. FYI Grand Floridian Cafe sausage has been very good. Didn't go there last month but enjoyed it on prior visits.
Happy to hear you enjoyed your Tequila lunch. The food looks great . Not a Tequila fan ( unless it it is in a good Margarita) but maybe it was because I was doing bad Tequila shots in my youth at the Jersey shore.

Tequila lunch looks amazing! I’ll be in Disney next month to celebrate my big 4-0, can’t wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!