Possible delayed closing for Spaceship earth

brich330

Mouseketeer
Does anyone else think they will delay the closing of Spaceship Earth? I always assumed they planned to bring it down when they brought the Ratatouille ride online.

Everything is up in the air right now. Everything depends on funds, and how long this closure lasts.

I've been thinking that Epcot is going to have a lot of issues upon reopening, the biggest of which would be rehiring international cast members that work in the World Showcase. One scenario I imagine would be that Disney would only reopen the Future World section of Epcot and maybe a few areas of WS that aren't to reliant on international CMs (rides and American pavilion, specifically). But considering the construction mess of Future World right now, it's gonna be a total mess. It's quite possible they would delay SSE closure just to have that running for the reopening. But that is just one of many scenarios.

Personally I think any project that isn’t already started will be put on indefinite hold. At least until things stabilize so they can evaluate where things are financially & with tourism overall.
This would be my guess. Any project that has been started will be finished.
If they haven't started, it probably will be delayed. I would guess this would include the Mary Poppins attraction.

I hope they cancel the Spaceship Earth revamp altogether. It's fine just like it is. Would be like changing Small World.

I do think it could use some TLC though - so I would be ok with a scaled back refurb. I mean, like in the caveman scene you can barely see the projection anymore, things like that

So maybe close it for a few months, give is some love and maybe add some projection mapping, maybe add to the last scene or something - but think like 30% of the financial investment

I love SSE but it's been refurbed before and it has always come out beautifully. I have no doubt the next refurb will be as well. Consider the alternative - CoP anyone?

But yeah, it's probably going to be pushed back...

I love SSE but it's been refurbed before and it has always come out beautifully. I have no doubt the next refurb will be as well. Consider the alternative - CoP anyone?

But yeah, it's probably going to be pushed back...

Well this was supposed to be more of a "reimagining" than a "refurb". I think after all of this the reimagining will get cancelled and we will just see a refurb. Im fine with that.

I'm sure all the projects currently in the works will eventually start up again, with understandable delays. While it was looking like we might be seeing the Ratatouille ride open by Memorial day, it might be pushed out now into the summer. Tron and GotG will continue, but the dates will be pushed out. I'm hoping SSE gets a bit of refurb work, but the reimagining could be out. Not sure if the WDW railroad was scheduled to be back late this year or next, but that's probably pushed out as well (I would think it has to be completed before the anniversary). I don't see any new projects starting up for a while. Once all the current work is done, we may see the WDW we saw sometime in the first decade of this century where almost nothing new was being built for a long stretch. Certainly no 1 or 2 (or more) new rides a year.

I suppose they decided to stop construction purely on a financial standpoint? My original thought was that this would be the opportune time to complete some of their construction projects on a faster timetable with the parks closed and all. It would be a shame to not have the new stuff opening for the anniversary next year!

I suppose they decided to stop construction purely on a financial standpoint? My original thought was that this would be the opportune time to complete some of their construction projects on a faster timetable with the parks closed and all. It would be a shame to not have the new stuff opening for the anniversary next year!
I believe they are under the same restrictions as the rest of the companies are across the country...Only essential businesses remain opened, and construction work ( I believe on residential stuff ) Plumbers roofers, building emergencies..etc :confused3

I've been thinking that Epcot is going to have a lot of issues upon reopening, the biggest of which would be rehiring international cast members that work in the World Showcase. One scenario I imagine would be that Disney would only reopen the Future World section of Epcot and maybe a few areas of WS that aren't to reliant on international CMs (rides and American pavilion, specifically). But considering the construction mess of Future World right now, it's gonna be a total mess. It's quite possible they would delay SSE closure just to have that running for the reopening. But that is just one of many scenarios.
I can't imagine anything close to normal operations when Disney re-opens.

I hope they cancel the Spaceship Earth revamp altogether. It's fine just like it is. \

You even like the decent? Say it ain't so...

I do think it could use some TLC though - so I would be ok with a scaled back refurb. I mean, like in the caveman scene you can barely see the projection anymore, things like that
The caveman scene is pretty bad right now.

It has been bad for years, IMHO. It is too dim, especially when you come in to the ride after being outside in the bright sun. Some people's eyes take a while to adjust to the dark.

We planned a trip solely to ride SE one more time before the "re-imagining". We had originally planned a long weekend (last week), then pushed it back to April 17, then ended up canceling all together. I will be following this very closely - we definitely want to be able to ride it one more time but based on work and other things happening, I don't know if I can get there in May, maybe not even until fall... hopefully they will push this back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!