Possible delayed closing for Spaceship earth

I heard from friends that still work attractions in Epcot that this was definitely going to open with the park. They said a new date would be announced in the future for the rehab. This ride needed some serious TLC when I did my CP in 2007 so I really do hope it gets a full overhaul in the future.

Right now I'd be happy if they add lighting to the first scene.

Haha I guess I'm the only one super happy that this ride is seemingly not being touched for the time being and will remain the same with my precious Judi Dench narration!

I do agree they should fix issues with the track getting stuck and delayed of course. I mean, getting stuck on rides is always the worst and this one stops and starts more than most. But I love everything else about it and it's my favorite ride and with how Disney has changed so much in their leadership, I worry every time they do an upgrade on anything that they are going to leech out everything that is original and classic Disney about an attraction and water it down so it appeals to the Frozen-crowd, ect. I would rather this stay quaint and retro and charming and old-fashioned than have it become what Maelstrom became, for example.

I heard from friends that still work attractions in Epcot that this was definitely going to open with the park. They said a new date would be announced in the future for the rehab. This ride needed some serious TLC when I did my CP in 2007 so I really do hope it gets a full overhaul in the future.

Yes, SSE is in desperate need of a refurb. Was down twice on a previous trip. The ending is awful and seeing and hearing that creepy faceless newsboy always makes me cringe. I love the classic ride but it's a bit of an embarrassment particularly for a park icon so frankly, I'm disappointed and I'm hoping they make the decision by the beginning of next year.

Last edited:
I agree the ending is so outdated in horrible... I wish they would just drop the interactive sillyness and have more stars. LOL

I love SSE though, even in it's current state overall, I was a bit sad to find out that it would be closed during my trip.

Unfortunately, there is not many ride scenes they can do at the end. There is not too much real estate back there which is why we really only had one ride scene with video calling before it changed to the interactive screens. I will be curious to see what they do, but I would be shocked if they got ride of the interactive portion. If you have ever been (un)lucky enough to be evacuated off or been there with the lights on you would know what I was referring to.

I have not seen it with the lights on. Well hopefully they update the 1997 interactive experience at least. My person comes out looking odd each time, my son was too short so they just slapped on some random avatar. lol

Haha I guess I'm the only one super happy that this ride is seemingly not being touched for the time being and will remain the same with my precious Judi Dench narration!

I do agree they should fix issues with the track getting stuck and delayed of course. I mean, getting stuck on rides is always the worst and this one stops and starts more than most. But I love everything else about it and it's my favorite ride and with how Disney has changed so much in their leadership, I worry every time they do an upgrade on anything that they are going to leech out everything that is original and classic Disney about an attraction and water it down so it appeals to the Frozen-crowd, ect. I would rather this stay quaint and retro and charming and old-fashioned than have it become what Maelstrom became, for example.
You are not alone:) My entire family is so excited that it looks like we will get to experience this yet again for our July trip!

Although some people may want one more chance to ride the current version, Disney is a project based company and postponing the refurbishment of Spaceship Earth and the construction of other rides will most likely lead to fewer cast members being rehired. Unfortunately, some creative hardworking young imagineers may now go from furlough to lay off.

You are not the only one! I love this ride so much. I was really disappointed that I wasn't able to ride it when we were there in March. I am pumped that we're going to be able to ride it again before it changes.

Reviving this thread because a rumor was strongly circulating yesterday on social media...of course no one had any solid sources to share ;)
Just to confirm, what is the rumour? Sounds like SSE will open with Epcot and remain open for the foreseeable future?

I much preferred the Walter Cronkite narration myself. I haven’t really enjoyed the Judi Dench narration since it started (I think mainly because of the touchscreen ending that seemed dated from the second it premiered).

I much preferred the Walter Cronkite narration myself. I haven’t really enjoyed the Judi Dench narration since it started (I think mainly because of the touchscreen ending that seemed dated from the second it premiered).

And I still miss the Jeremy Irons narration. I've never warmed up to Judi Dench's, we usually listen in another language to see how much we can pick up.

And I still miss the Jeremy Irons narration. I've never warmed up to Judi Dench's, we usually listen in another language to see how much we can pick up.

I love the Jeremy Irons narration. I know that whole spiel from riding so much during my CP. Dench's narration just does not do it for me.

We love this ride, it's one of our favourites & Dame Judi is fantastic, we made sure to ride it a few times during our trip last year.
Saying all that, it is in need of a refresh & at least they are not planning on completing changing the theme of the ride.
Will it be completed before the 50th? My gut feeling is not now.

If the rehab is on hold, does that mean the other rides (tron, etc) have been full speed ahead for the last few weeks? Does Disney plan "we have 5 projects, spread the 100 workers between them" or "we have 5 projects, get as many workers as we need" (I know the numbers aren't correct)

Aside from wanting SSE to be open when we go, I also want the train in MK open. Not counting the covid stuff, I really thought the train was going to be down for a few months, of course I was very wrong.

If the rehab is on hold, does that mean the other rides (tron, etc) have been full speed ahead for the last few weeks? Does Disney plan "we have 5 projects, spread the 100 workers between them" or "we have 5 projects, get as many workers as we need" (I know the numbers aren't correct)

Most of the workers are not disney workers but work for contractors. So disney will give the contract for tron to a company and they will handle personnel. A different company could get SSE contract. So money and personnel are on a per-project basis.

I'm of a mind that thinks the refurb goes on hold and they concentrate on the newer projects that they haven't already pulled the brake on. Anything to get rid of the walls everywhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter