Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Dumb question time.

If we have to go to the counter to check our luggage anyway, can I just have them print our boarding passes at that time as well? If I plan to do that, can they look us up by name or do I need our confirmation number in hand?
I’m pretty sure I’ve done exactly that. They should be able to look you up by name, but it doesn’t hurt to have the res # on your phone, just in case.

Dumb question time.

If we have to go to the counter to check our luggage anyway, can I just have them print our boarding passes at that time as well? If I plan to do that, can they look us up by name or do I need our confirmation number in hand?

I’m pretty sure I’ve done exactly that. They should be able to look you up by name, but it doesn’t hurt to have the res # on your phone, just in case.

It is pretty much all self-service now. There will be a number of terminals for SW at your airport. There are a couple of options to enter to access your reservation but I always use my confirmation number so am not sure what the other options are.

At the kiosk you will confirm the number of bags you're checking and print boarding passes if you need them. The kiosk will print both the boarding passes and the actual luggage tags. You are responsible to tag your own bags and keep track of the portion your take off the luggage tag as that has your tracking information on it.

Once you've done all that you will go to the counter. They will check ID of all adults and weigh then take your luggage. That is all the agents do any longer.

Last minute (for me) trip to Seattle in Aug. Only 3 flight options each way. Guessing the rest were Max8 cancellations. Probably going to end up flying a different airline. United has much better options. I'm guessing this, and the June 20th delay, is where this all starts to hurt southwest. We were waiting to book Nov flights but we're just going to book JetBlue next week (waiting for plans to be finalized with a group). Not waiting until the end of June to find out the options are lousy...plus I was expecting to hook our Feb flights in June. Cruise is booked, again we'll fly JB.

Last minute (for me) trip to Seattle in Aug. Only 3 flight options each way. Guessing the rest were Max8 cancellations. Probably going to end up flying a different airline. United has much better options. I'm guessing this, and the June 20th delay, is where this all starts to hurt southwest. We were waiting to book Nov flights but we're just going to book JetBlue next week (waiting for plans to be finalized with a group). Not waiting until the end of June to find out the options are lousy...plus I was expecting to hook our Feb flights in June. Cruise is booked, again we'll fly JB.

We are doing the same. Trying to book a car rental and confirm lodging is too difficult. Plus we are traveling with friends so a lot of coordination. June 20th is late and lately, SW opening fares have been expensive.

We are doing the same. Trying to book a car rental and confirm lodging is too difficult. Plus we are traveling with friends so a lot of coordination. June 20th is late and lately, SW opening fares have been expensive.

I definitely wonder how many people are going to jump ship (plane?) - we've been flying almost exclusively Southwest with exactly one Jetblue Flight in the last 5 years, now we're looking at our next 4-5 trips on other airlines because of this. I'm just glad I got a JetBlue CC a few months ago and have the bonus points to use. My flight to Seattle, just for me, if I used my SW points is almost 70k point or $800 round trip. United is $370 round-trip. Even paying for my bags, that's not even close. Add in the fact that SW has 3 flights, 6am, 7am, and 8am the day my cruise comes back - so clearly I can't take any of those, and United's are at night. If I fly SW, I'd have to pay for a hotel room but United I don't. Not good at all...

Is anyone else seeing a MAX8 aircraft scheduled for their upcoming flights? I wonder if Southwest is assuming that the MAX8 will be released for flying by a certain date, and thereby scheduling it after that date, though nothing publicly announced.

Quick question: I was about to check in for my flight to Chicago tomorrow from Hartford and was given the option to change my flight for free. I do not see any travel advisories. Why would this be occurring?

Flying down to Orlando from balto/Washington (bwi). In september...we purchased our flights down and are waiting to buy return. What is a good price to you .non-stop btw

Quick question: I was about to check in for my flight to Chicago tomorrow from Hartford and was given the option to change my flight for free. I do not see any travel advisories. Why would this be occurring?
Because your orginal flight was on a MAX 8 Airplane that they are now not using. Max 8 seat 178 - 220 people. now that they are not using them the max number of people SWA fleet will hold is 143-175. So they are probably hoping someone will switch to another flight for free rather than having to pay people to take a different flight

Last edited:
Because your original flight was on a MAX 8 Airplane that they are now not using. Max 8 seat 178 - 220 people. now that they are not using them the max number of people SWA fleet will hold is 143-175. So they are probably hoping someone will switch to another flight for free rather than having to pay people to take a different flight
That is what I thought at first as I know this flight was originally a Max 8 and has since been changed to an 800. But as of now the flight is not sold out so I would think if they were trying to get folks off the plane it would be listed as sold out, right? It could be because there are severe thunderstorms predicted in the Midwest tomorrow but have they ever offered a free change for predicted thunderstorms?

That is what I thought at first as I know this flight was originally a Max 8 and has since been changed to an 800. But as of now the flight is not sold out so I would think if they were trying to get folks off the plane it would be listed as sold out, right? It could be because there are severe thunderstorms predicted in the Midwest tomorrow but have they ever offered a free change for predicted thunderstorms?
Total guess but you might still be covered under their MAX 8 Update message here:

https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_20192141552591016643.html

If you know your flight was originally on a MAX 8 that would be my guess.

And by changing for free I'm assuming you're meaning you aren't being required to pay the fare difference if there is one because SWA does not have change fees they just make you (normally) pay the fare difference if there is one.

I definitely wonder how many people are going to jump ship (plane?) - we've been flying almost exclusively Southwest with exactly one Jetblue Flight in the last 5 years, now we're looking at our next 4-5 trips on other airlines because of this. I'm just glad I got a JetBlue CC a few months ago and have the bonus points to use. My flight to Seattle, just for me, if I used my SW points is almost 70k point or $800 round trip. United is $370 round-trip. Even paying for my bags, that's not even close. Add in the fact that SW has 3 flights, 6am, 7am, and 8am the day my cruise comes back - so clearly I can't take any of those, and United's are at night. If I fly SW, I'd have to pay for a hotel room but United I don't. Not good at all...
We're one of those that will probably jump ship. Too much uncertainty with SW. Delta and American have decent prices for our travel dates and I really don't think SW could beat the prices, whenever they decide to release the fares that is. Probably will end up booking Delta.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!