Post-Cancer Solo Celebration! March 4-9, 2018 (UPDATE 3/10: DAY 3 DINING REPORTS)

DINING REPORT
DAY TWO
STEAKHOUSE 55 DINNER

This was a really amazing dining experience. The restaurant itself is beautiful; the lobby is filled with comfortable chairs, the black and white pictures of Walt and Co. lend gravitas, and yet the whole place just has an upscale yet relaxed vibe. Highly recommended.

Also, my main server was out of this world. Pearl was both a sommelier and a lead server, and she was sweet and gracious and kind. I had other people bring out my food or fill my water glass, but they were all professional and kind as well.

Here's the menu and place setting.

unnamed-41.jpg

unnamed-43.jpg

Now, on to the food!

I started with sourdough bread and butter. The bread was fresh and pre-cut so it was easy to eat and not messy (sourdough can be a bear with that thick crust). The butter was fresh and high quality.

unnamed-44.jpg

The amuse bouche was a blini with goat cheese mousse and beets.

unnamed-45.jpg

My wine was a recommendation from Pearl, and a good one. I regret not taking a picture of the bottle, but it was a Cabernet Sauvignon by Eden something. What it was was delicious.

unnamed-46.jpg

My starter was an out of this world pumpkin bisque with savory tuile.

unnamed-47.jpg

I ordered a filet mignon with béarnaise sauce, and while I was a little nervous when cutting it - my knife didn't exactly slide through the way a good filet should - my fears were unfounded. It was tender with perfect seasoning, and a good sear on the outside. The béarnaise was perfect.

unnamed-48.jpg

As a side, I had the mashed potatoes with brown gravy, which was simply prepared but delicious.

unnamed-49.jpg unnamed-50.jpg

I passed on dessert, but Pearl brought me a small chocolate mousse decorated with raspberries, a chocolate 'CONGRATULATIONS' sign and a candle. (No picture, sorry!) She also gave me a hug and told me she would keep me in her prayers. I was so impressed by her that I asked the manager to come over so I could gush about Pearl. :)

So far, at least, the best meal I've had at Disney. Napa Rose is coming up, though, so we'll see!

Attachments

• unnamed-42.jpg
    unnamed-42.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
First off - you are amazing! You are a beautiful soul and make me wish I was only half as brave and lovely as you are.

Secondly - that Steakhouse55 meal looks amazing!

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you do next.

Oh, and that concierge at CGH makes me wish I could afford to do that sometime. Maybe I'll save up for my 55th birthday and do that then!

I just wanted to let you know that you are helping and inspiring people not only at Disneyland but all over. I am having a rough day at work (auditors, angry co-workers, etc.) and was looking for a little Disney distraction for a few minutes. I found your trip report and it put tears in my eyes at all the good you are doing. It really helped me put my silly little work issues in perspective and now I can go back to dealing with them with kindness and gentleness in my heart. I know it will make my day better, and I bet some of my co-workers will appreciate the positive outlook I can bring to our work place thanks to your kindness and example. Thank you for sharing!!

First off - you are amazing! You are a beautiful soul and make me wish I was only half as brave and lovely as you are.

Secondly - that Steakhouse55 meal looks amazing!

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you do next.

Oh, and that concierge at CGH makes me wish I could afford to do that sometime. Maybe I'll save up for my 55th birthday and do that then!

Thank you for saying that, truly. You touch my heart. Though I really don't feel like I'm particularly brave. It's not hard to reach out and be kind, and people respond to kindness with kindness. I think it helps being solo; if I were with others I think I'd be focused on them. Being alone lets me see others and notice them for who they are...

Also, I freaking love children. They're all awesome.

And yes, Club Level has been very indulgent. I'm so blessed.

I just wanted to let you know that you are helping and inspiring people not only at Disneyland but all over. I am having a rough day at work (auditors, angry co-workers, etc.) and was looking for a little Disney distraction for a few minutes. I found your trip report and it put tears in my eyes at all the good you are doing. It really helped me put my silly little work issues in perspective and now I can go back to dealing with them with kindness and gentleness in my heart. I know it will make my day better, and I bet some of my co-workers will appreciate the positive outlook I can bring to our work place thanks to your kindness and example. Thank you for sharing!!

This is one of the nicest things I've heard in a long time! ::HUGS:: I'm sorry you're having a bad day (I work in the financial industry, so I know all about the stress of audits!) I hope you found a way to just breathe. You deserve to be happy, even on bad days.

Your stories made me cry. I am a pre-K special education teacher and as someone who puts so much into kids almost every month of the year (I teach summer school because I love the kids so much), I have not been too excited about kids at Disneyland. You have changed my mind. I'm going to pay forward all that magic you're giving me reading this. Thank you so much for sharing.

Went thru a gamut of emotions reading thru ur update today. Thank you...for sharing and being You...what lovely interactions!

Your stories made me cry. I am a pre-K special education teacher and as someone who puts so much into kids almost every month of the year (I teach summer school because I love the kids so much), I have not been too excited about kids at Disneyland. You have changed my mind. I'm going to pay forward all that magic you're giving me reading this. Thank you so much for sharing.

My sister teaches Pre-K and my mom was a special needs teacher before she retired, so I know what a big job you have. I will say this: I didn't notice one meltdown (not counting the occasional 'No way in hell are you putting me near that giant mouse' meltdowns, because those are cute). I didn't notice kids - even older ones - behaving badly. Maybe I just wasn't looking for them, but mostly the kids were just so excited and happy to be there.

In fact, the closest I saw was a little girl in the esplanade who was emotional over something. Her big, bearded, tattooed dad didn't lecture her, but got on his knees so he was at her level and wrapped her in a hug, telling her she was a good girl and she was just a little overwhelmed. Brought tears to my eyes.

Went thru a gamut of emotions reading thru ur update today. Thank you...for sharing and being You...what lovely interactions!

Thank you :)

Real Life Update

I'm still plugging along on my daily notes, but these have been long days for me physically, so I'm a tad behind. But there's plenty of trip report to come!

I may cut the trip short though and head out in the morning instead of playing half a day in the parks. Why?

My dog.

I have a 14 yo Italian Greyhound named Stella who is - I'm just going to say it - spoiled rotten. She has only known one mom (me) her whole life, so she's ridiculously bonded with me. In fact, both my pets are very bonded and suffer from varying degrees of separation anxiety.

(Minerva, the cat, has good reason; I took her from the shelter the day before she was to be euthanized for aggression. She was very fearful of humans and violent, but I worked so hard with her and now she's the biggest, cuddliest lap cat you can imagine. She's the third Death Row cat I've rehabilitated, but might be my proudest accomplishment, because she came from farther back than the other two...)

Anyway, I had bartered a new chair with my housemate Michael in return for pet sitting this week. The cat's fine, but Stella is a wreck. She won't sleep with him, or sleep in her (own, special) room, or even sleep in my bed with the cat. Michael made a nest for her on the sofa, but she waits until he goes to sleep and starts howling plaintively. He finally got up last night and carried her to his bed. She laid there shaking and whimpering all night.

I don't know who's sadder at this point: Stella or Michael.

Definitely time for Mommy to come home, either way.

Real Life Update

I'm still plugging along on my daily notes, but these have been long days for me physically, so I'm a tad behind. But there's plenty of trip report to come!

I may cut the trip short though and head out in the morning instead of playing half a day in the parks. Why?

My dog.

I have a 14 yo Italian Greyhound named Stella who is - I'm just going to say it - spoiled rotten. She has only known one mom (me) her whole life, so she's ridiculously bonded with me. In fact, both my pets are very bonded and suffer from varying degrees of separation anxiety.

(Minerva, the cat, has good reason; I took her from the shelter the day before she was to be euthanized for aggression. She was very fearful of humans and violent, but I worked so hard with her and now she's the biggest, cuddliest lap cat you can imagine. She's the third Death Row cat I've rehabilitated, but might be my proudest accomplishment, because she came from farther back than the other two...)

Anyway, I had bartered a new chair with my housemate Michael in return for pet sitting this week. The cat's fine, but Stella is a wreck. She won't sleep with him, or sleep in her (own, special) room, or even sleep in my bed with the cat. Michael made a nest for her on the sofa, but she waits until he goes to sleep and starts howling plaintively. He finally got up last night and carried her to his bed. She laid there shaking and whimpering all night.

I completely understand. We have a cat who is turning 18 years old this year. She's been my husband's cat since she was a kitten and she's extremely attached to him (now to me too). Whenever we leave she has really bad separation anxiety and it puts a lot of stress on her, even when I have my parents stay with her when we leave. It doesn't matter if another person is there with her, she needs us. This is why DLR is our go to vacation -- we live in Sacramento and can fly down relatively quickly and stay for a few days, which is about all she can take. Some people think we are nutty that we refuse longer vacations because of our cat, but she's like our baby so that's just the way it is.

I'm sure Stella will be over the moon to see you!

Real Life Update

Oh, poor Stella. We are have a very attached 3 year old Dachshund and leaving him is the hardest part of going on vacation. I'm sure we'll cut our Spring Break trip short because of him. We fly to Disneyland, so there will be no cutting that short but luckily we still have an adult daughter who lives with us and they'll have to figure it out. I'm sure Stella's going to be thrilled to see you and probably sleep for 24 hours.

PS -- thanks for the insights into kids and Disneyland. I'm not really worried about bad behavior, more that I might feel I need the break... but lately I've been into princess costumes and dance parties with the kids, so I'm thinking I'm ready to spread the magic.

I completely understand. We have a cat who is turning 18 years old this year. She's been my husband's cat since she was a kitten and she's extremely attached to him (now to me too). Whenever we leave she has really bad separation anxiety and it puts a lot of stress on her, even when I have my parents stay with her when we leave. It doesn't matter if another person is there with her, she needs us. This is why DLR is our go to vacation -- we live in Sacramento and can fly down relatively quickly and stay for a few days, which is about all she can take. Some people think we are nutty that we refuse longer vacations because of our cat, but she's like our baby so that's just the way it is.

I'm sure Stella will be over the moon to see you!

This. I end up making decisions about how long to stay, whether to drive or fly, etc. based on Stella. (I live in the SF Bay Area). Thats why I choose DL and not WDW; I'm much closer if something happens. I have a friend who was in Italy when her dog passed and always regretted it. I do get teased, but oh well. I make decisions based on what's important to me...and thats her and her kitty sister.

Oh, poor Stella. We are have a very attached 3 year old Dachshund and leaving him is the hardest part of going on vacation. I'm sure we'll cut our Spring Break trip short because of him. We fly to Disneyland, so there will be no cutting that short but luckily we still have an adult daughter who lives with us and they'll have to figure it out. I'm sure Stella's going to be thrilled to see you and probably sleep for 24 hours.

PS -- thanks for the insights into kids and Disneyland. I'm not really worried about bad behavior, more that I might feel I need the break... but lately I've been into princess costumes and dance parties with the kids, so I'm thinking I'm ready to spread the magic.

I was hoping Stella would do better at home with 'Uncle Michael' but sadly, no luck.

And I get what you're saying about the kids. But I think you'l find some really delightful ones. I have.

ALSO...

Mommy might have been mean by leaving, but look at the presents she's getting!

unnamed-51.jpg unnamed-52.jpg

Oh my goodness, my eyes keep leaking the more I keep reading your wonderful trip report! I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful vacation.

DAY THREE (TUESDAY)
DISNEYLAND
PART ONE

unnamed-53.jpg

I'm back home after my awesome trip, and was really sad that my vacation was over. I do miss just walking around the corner to grab lots of gourmet food at all hours of the day. Now I'm back to cooking it myself. :sad:

But now that I'm home I'll have more time for writing trip reports, right? Let's pick up with Day 3, which was Tuesday and my second full day in the parks.

On the advice of people here, I decided to take it much slower today. My first full park day had taught me that I’m not invincible and I need to take better care. As a result, I felt much better.

I was up for the EMH/Magic Morning at Disneyland. This is definitely a different experience than DCA EMH. I left at the same time and instead of being at the gate, I ended up at the back of a long line. I also switched up the tunnel I entered through, and got this great shot of my favorite mad toad:

unnamed-54.jpg

Once inside, I was against the wall and couldn’t even see the rope drop. Funny story, I saw these signs the day before at intervals along the Main Street walls, and truly thought they said "gross".

unnamed-55.jpg

I was very confused why Disney would have "gross" signs everywhere. It took my needing to cross the street this morning to realize they actually say "cross." :tongue:

After they dropped the rope WAY up ahead, I headed to Fantasyland behind everybody else. I stopped and took a snap of the Partners statue before following the horde.

unnamed-56.jpg

Of course, the majority of them headed to Peter Pan, which was probably a 40-60 minute wait when I got there. Instead, I got a return time for it and started with Alice, where I managed to get a lot of blurry ride photos (that white rabbit is fast!) and this nice one of the Matterhorn from my caterpillar.

unnamed-57.jpg

I should have started with Mr. Toad (I debated) because there was a pretty long line when I got there. So, I rode the Carousel with my new friend Zach (see my earlier report).

unnamed-59.jpg

After that, I did Snow White’s Scary Adventures and Pinocchio, and I’m telling you, I think Walt Disney had a bit of a sadistic streak. Those rides are scary for ME, and I’m not four!

unnamed-60.jpg unnamed-61.jpg

Finally, it was time for my ride on Peter Pan, though I stopped first and talked a scared kid off the ledge when it came to riding it. It was, as always, beautiful.

unnamed-62.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 3 (TUESDAY)
DISNEYLAND
PART TWO

Before I go on, I forgot to add this pretty Carousel pic I took:

unnamed-58.jpg

Mr. Toad had an even longer line now, so I instead got a return time for Buzz that was just a few minutes away. I stopped and took a Castle Photo first, and by the time I got there, I was able to walk on.

unnamed-71.jpg

unnamed-63.jpg

Dear God, do I suck at that ride. I will not even tell you my score but it was shameful.

From there, I wanted to go back to Mr. Toad, so I got a return time and headed back to Fantasyland. I was passed by Mary Poppins and Bert who waved, but didn’t slow down. As I walked on, I realized they had stopped for pics, so I went over and got in line. Behind me came Sarah, the seriously disabled girl I mentioned earlier, and her family. Her mom and I made a pact to take each other’s pics with Mary and Bert.

unnamed-65.jpg

After that, I went to Toon Town, but realized it wasn’t open yet, so took the train to New Orleans Square. I had never ridden the full circuit before, or seen the dinosaurs and such, so this was a treat (and also a chance to rest - rest is important!)

unnamed-66.jpg

unnamed-67.jpg
I had a Big Thunder turn time, so I rode that.

unnamed-68.jpg

unnamed-69.jpg

By this time, I was feeling a tad peckish, so I had a vague notion to head to Adventureland for Bengal BBQ (which I sadly have still not tried) but I passed a corn on the cob booth and that sounded really good. I met a dad and his son, and the dad was a doctor, so very interested in my remission button. He asked a lot of really good questions and so did his son; that button really opened a lot of conversations about cancer and the importance of screening.

Also, the corn was delicious.

unnamed-70.jpg

After my snack, I hit Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh and Pirates, then had some time to kill before lunch. I spent it in the shops and finally dropped some cash on a Pandora bracelet with a Minnie charm (it was their starter package, and you could choose from three dangle charms: Minnie, Mickey and a heart that said Let It Go.) They gave an AP discount, as well.

My plan is to add charms for life events, like my new job and my daughter’s wedding.

It was time for lunch at my favorite park restaurant: Blue Bayou. I know everyone says to go for the atmosphere and not the food, but I’ve never had a bad meal here.

After that, I did a bit more shopping (nothing caught my eye) and headed out to the hotel. I was actually pretty lazy the rest of the day, napping and hanging in my room and the Lounge. My body was grateful.

I ended the night with dinner at Ralph Brennan’s, then just hung out in my room with the balcony door open, listening to the sounds of the park and eating desserts from the Lounge. Don’t tell anyone, but I left it that way and went to sleep to the sounds of happy people.

All in all, it was a great day.

unnamed-64.jpg

DINING REPORT
DAY THREE - LUNCH

BLUE BAYOU

I'm sort of opposite of the general opinion on these boards when it comes to Blue Bayou, which is that the food isn't great and you go for the waterside table and the atmosphere. While I love the atmosphere, this is my third meal here and it's been consistently among the best food I've had at Disney. I did have a waterside table once, but could not care less where I sit anymore because I love the food.

Let's start with the menu:

unnamed-72.jpg

unnamed-73.jpg
unnamed-74.jpg

I always get the Louisiana Lemonade here. I know it's just Minute Maid Light Lemonade, Sprite and some flavoring but I think it's so tasty! Sadly, I forgot to fish out my glowing ice cube.

unnamed-75.jpg

The bread they brought out was nice and warm, the way the Storyteller's bread from my first dinner should have been.

unnamed-77.jpg

As my starter, I always choose the Blue Bayou House Salad. It's always fresh and I adore the tangy dressing. I wish I had the recipe for that! It's now served with lavosh which was crisp, warm and delicious. I INHALED this salad; I don't think there was a lettuce leaf left.

unnamed-76.jpg

My intention when I booked this meal was to get the Monte Cristo, but since I'd had that the day before at Cafe Orleans, I decided to go with something else. They used to have a filet with béarnaise sauce at lunch that I really liked, but the only filet on the menu now is the surf and turf and I don't do lobster. So I chose the Bone-In Rib Eye with White Cheddar and Gouda Mac and Cheese.

unnamed-78.jpg

This was really, really good. The steak was perfectly seasoned and cooked, and the smoked gouda mac and cheese was heavenly. It really was just way too much food for me, especially at lunch. I guiltily left a lot of steak on my plate.

It didn't help that I also got a side of Blue Bayou au gratin potatoes, because I wanted to try the M&C but still wanted my potatoes!

unnamed-79.jpg

Finally, my server Denise - who was very attentive - brought me out this chocolate mousse with my very own little candle.

unnamed-80.jpg

If you're on the fence about Blue Bayou, my advice is to do it. Not only is the setting so unique and beautiful, but I've really had nothing but delicious meals here.

I really love the Blue Bayou! So glad that you had such a nice time there! It's so full of atmosphere and it's so relaxing.

Another amazing day filled with great rides, yummy foods n treats and wonderful interactions.
I LOVED your shadow pix... I’d put it in a frame!
A pandora bracelet... lovely!
My amazing thoughtful dad just sent me a charm bracelet that has my initial and one charm that reads... love u to the moon and back. Each time I see or think of it I ball lol.
He ll be 85 soon and has no idea I’m flying in to share his birthday ( as are the rest of my siblings) but I digress...
your thread has brought such joy reading along..
Thx!!

Great stories. I love reading your dining reviews, even though I wouldn't eat most of that gourmet stuff. (I'm a girl of simple tastes.) Hope Stella has calmed down now and likes her new gifts!

This is probably the best trip report I've read. You have a lot of magic flowing through you and around you. I love your attitude and the way you keep on going, even when you are feeling sick, tired or knowing that your pets are at home missing you. I do understand cutting the trip short. I have lost my interest in most travel because of not wanting to leave my pets.

I think it is remarkable that even when feeling tired and sick, you were still able to do things and enjoy yourself. You must be an amazing person.

I really love the Blue Bayou! So glad that you had such a nice time there! It's so full of atmosphere and it's so relaxing.

I definitely love it too. I know everyone has different opinions, but they food, service and relaxing atmosphere have been winners every time for me. I can't see doing Disney without it.

I LOVED your shadow pix... I’d put it in a frame!
Thx!!

You're not going to believe this, but that was a complete accident! I didn't even notice it until I was going through pics yesterday. Pixie dust!

Glad you'll see your dad soon!

Great stories. I love reading your dining reviews, even though I wouldn't eat most of that gourmet stuff. (I'm a girl of simple tastes.) Hope Stella has calmed down now and likes her new gifts!

She's settled down as much as Stella can...which is not much. ;)

This is probably the best trip report I've read. You have a lot of magic flowing through you and around you. I love your attitude and the way you keep on going, even when you are feeling sick, tired or knowing that your pets are at home missing you. I do understand cutting the trip short. I have lost my interest in most travel because of not wanting to leave my pets.

I think it is remarkable that even when feeling tired and sick, you were still able to do things and enjoy yourself. You must be an amazing person.

Aw, you make me feel so good! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Honestly, one thing you learn with cancer treatment is you can't let it get you down...you just have to keep living.

That said, I really, really, really should have swallowed my pride and gotten a scooter. This trip could have been so much better without the pain...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!