UPDATED 7/18 WITH LINK TO NEW PTR! Can't Wait to be Walkin' Right Down the Middle of Main Street USA: A Sept 2021 Disneyland PTF

I’m here! Oh my goodness YAY for that lovely long trip and the extra days resolving your dilemma on tickets. We have a Disneyland trip coming up too and, like you, feel a bit weird about “only” having 5 park days. But as WDW APs we are so used to popping into the park for any/no reason and not using up an admission that it seems a bit odd to only have 5 days of tickets. We just decided to splurge for onsite though, so I’m sticking with the 5 day park hoppers for now... We had been planning on staying at the Fairfield which looks super convenient (loved staying on Harbour last time) so that might be a good Marriott property for you guys for the first 3 nights. Price check the Costco package as the good neighbor hotels have only a 2 night stay requirement to get a $145 gift card - that could more than make up for the LMT savings if it works out for you.

Your PTR is so helpful! I would very much like to start one but with the way work has been going in the last couple of years I am afraid of ghosting a report in the middle.

Admittedly we have only gone to Disneyland once but we didn’t find getting from LAX to Anaheim much of a chore. Last time we booked a private transfer with Execucar, which has sadly since gone belly up. The only reason I didn’t rely on Uber was that we were arriving at an off time, but I feel pretty confident we’ll Uber this time. From pricing out a fare in advance it looks like Uberxl will be almost the same price we paid for the execucar transfer. I’m also hanging onto a one-way car rental reservation in case we decide we want to do a grocery and In-n-Out stop! We wanted to fly into SNA but coming from Atlanta the price difference was completely unjustifiable, even to save time and hassle.

I’m so excited for you and to read along!

More days = hooray! As for hotels, there is a FFI right across Harbor -- that's probably the closest hotel to the parks for Marriott properties. There is the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance -- very popular, not that cheap. There is a Four Points Sheraton on Harbor, north of the parks -- usually has the lowest number of points for free nights, but is a little bit of a walk (not super far, but farther than the other hotels -- just north of the freeway). There is the Springhill Suites on Katella and Harbor, the Residence Inn Convention Center next to that. The Sheraton Park on Harbor is one of our favorites -- you can walk or take the Toy Story shuttles to/from the parks. (We walk!) By the time of your dates, there will be 2 new Marriott properties: the JW Marriott and the Element (?). They won't be super close walks (nothing beats the FFI), but they'll be shiny and new.
With more days, look into doing a tour... Maybe the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour? You get to see Walt's apartment over the fire station with that one.
Please note that your new dates will include CHOC Walk weekend (CHOC Walk is 9/13 this year). This is a big charity fundraiser for Children's Hospital of Orange County -- and this is the largest fundraiser of its kind in the nation. (See chocwalk.org) This will change the EMH/MM hours for that weekend -- keep watching the calendar. It is a super fun, very inspiring event -- highly encourage you to look into it. But do be aware of it. Many people don't know about it and walk right into it -- bam!
oooooh, thank you! I didn't realize the CHOC Walk was that weekend - that's good to know. And thanks for the hotel rundown too - so far the 4 points Sheraton is the cheapest, but I'm gonna keep checking and see. :)

I’m here! Oh my goodness YAY for that lovely long trip and the extra days resolving your dilemma on tickets. We have a Disneyland trip coming up too and, like you, feel a bit weird about “only” having 5 park days. But as WDW APs we are so used to popping into the park for any/no reason and not using up an admission that it seems a bit odd to only have 5 days of tickets. We just decided to splurge for onsite though, so I’m sticking with the 5 day park hoppers for now... We had been planning on staying at the Fairfield which looks super convenient (loved staying on Harbour last time) so that might be a good Marriott property for you guys for the first 3 nights. Price check the Costco package as the good neighbor hotels have only a 2 night stay requirement to get a $145 gift card - that could more than make up for the LMT savings if it works out for you.

Your PTR is so helpful! I would very much like to start one but with the way work has been going in the last couple of years I am afraid of ghosting a report in the middle.

Admittedly we have only gone to Disneyland once but we didn’t find getting from LAX to Anaheim much of a chore. Last time we booked a private transfer with Execucar, which has sadly since gone belly up. The only reason I didn’t rely on Uber was that we were arriving at an off time, but I feel pretty confident we’ll Uber this time. From pricing out a fare in advance it looks like Uberxl will be almost the same price we paid for the execucar transfer. I’m also hanging onto a one-way car rental reservation in case we decide we want to do a grocery and In-n-Out stop! We wanted to fly into SNA but coming from Atlanta the price difference was completely unjustifiable, even to save time and hassle.

I’m so excited for you and to read along!

Howdy!! :) So glad to see you! :) I looked at the Fairfield Inn, but I think I'm gonna go with the 4 Points Sheraton for now...we'll see how everything shakes out as we get closer. I did look at Costco packages but the LMTC savings on the 5 day hoppers was better. And thankfully LMTC still had the old ticket prices, so phew. :)

Oh nice! I was kind of leaning towards Uber - glad to hear a firsthand review.

Excited to hear how your trip goes - and if you did start a PTR I'd totally read it, even if you ghost in the middle it can still be fun :)

We will be there the same time!!!!!! I just confirmed 7 nights for our family of 6 in a 2BR at VGC!!!! We will be celebrating our 30th Anniversary and our oldest’s college graduation from Sept 12-19! I am so exited! I will be following your planning closely! ;)

We will be there the same time!!!!!! I just confirmed 7 nights for our family of 6 in a 2BR at VGC!!!! We will be celebrating our 30th Anniversary and our oldest’s college graduation from Sept 12-19! I am so exited! I will be following your planning closely! ;)

Yay!! Trip buddies! A 2 BR....that sounds amazing....I'd love to book at least a 1BR sometime, just cause of that gorgeous soaking tub, but I can't swing the price yet. Congrats on your anniversary and to your oldest on graduating college - that's awesome!!

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

There's nothing really to be done for a while, so of course I'm focusing on the best part: food!
Image result for disney food gif

The nice part of having lots more days is that I think we can fit in all the places we want to eat. I'm so excited! Though I do feel a bit overwhelmed, not being as familiar with restaurants in Disneyland as I am with Disneyworld. As you all may have noticed, I'm a teensy-weensy bit of a planner - at Disneyworld, when I see the name of a restaurant, I know off the top of my head if it's table service vs quick service, as well as what (if anything) it's generally known for - type of cuisine, etc. I am not there yet with Disneyland, which does make the planning a bit challenging when I keep having to look stuff up. Come on brain, get on the ball!

Image result for disney study gif

So in the meantime, I'm going to leverage all you lovely people! Below is my list of places we want to eat at. Are we missing any place awesome? Anything we should definitely get at these places? We don't drink, so no need to factor in alcoholic beverages that aren't to be missed...we'll need to miss them.

Disneyland

Mint Julep Barjust for beignets
Tropical Hidewaylunch or dinner - bao buns and dole whips :)
Red Rose Taverne?? breakfast or lunch/dinner? any recommendations?
Jolly Holidaylunch and/or snacks?
Bengal Barbecuelunch or dinner
Blue Bayou (Fantasmic dinning package)Monte Cristo
Carnation Cafe??
Plaza Inncharacter breakfast - worth it for two adults? Some of the reviews are hit and miss... Is the food worth it just for lunch or dinner?
Oga's Cantinawe don't drink, so non-alcoholic stop only
Ronto RoastersBreakfast and lunch/dinner - gotta try both breakfast wraps and the regular ronto wrap
Docking Bay 7lunch or dinner
Kat Saka's Kettlesnack (yay popcorn)

Disney California Adventure

Carthay Circledinner, I think
Lamplight Loungebrunch AND snacks or light dinner/lunch in the lounge
Corn Dog Castleneed a quintessential Disneyland corn dog :)
Cozy Cone Motellunch/dinner
Jack Jack Cookie Num Numssnack
Flo's V8 Cafebreakfast? or is lunch/dinner better?
Adorable SnowmanDole whip! Is it any different from the dole whips at the Tropical Hideaway?

Resort Hotels/Downtown Disney

Steakhouse 55breakfast?
Storyteller's Cafecharacter breakfast
Trader Sam's
Napa RoseChef's Counter dinner
Black Taplunch/dinner - mostly I want the crazy milkshakes. Is the food good?
La Brea BakeryI read the bread was good - is it worth a meal, or just grab some bread to go?
Salt and Strawice cream!!
Ralph Brennan Jazz Expressbeignets! Are these different than the Mint Julep ones? better? worse? worth trying?

So yea...too much choice! I don't wanna miss anything but I'm sure we will. Mostly trying to do my research before hand, so I'm not faced with too much choice in the moment. :)
Image result for choice disney gif

I know, I know...plenty of time. Just mulling at the moment :)

There's nothing really to be done for a while, so of course I'm focusing on the best part: food!

The nice part of having lots more days is that I think we can fit in all the places we want to eat. I'm so excited! Though I do feel a bit overwhelmed, not being as familiar with restaurants in Disneyland as I am with Disneyworld. As you all may have noticed, I'm a teensy-weensy bit of a planner - at Disneyworld, when I see the name of a restaurant, I know off the top of my head if it's table service vs quick service, as well as what (if anything) it's generally known for - type of cuisine, etc. I am not there yet with Disneyland, which does make the planning a bit challenging when I keep having to look stuff up. Come on brain, get on the ball!

So in the meantime, I'm going to leverage all you lovely people! Below is my list of places we want to eat at. Are we missing any place awesome? Anything we should definitely get at these places? We don't drink, so no need to factor in alcoholic beverages that aren't to be missed...we'll need to miss them.

Disneyland

Carnation Cafe??
Plaza Inncharacter breakfast - worth it for two adults? Some of the reviews are hit and miss... Is the food worth it just for lunch or dinner?
Ronto RoastersBreakfast and lunch/dinner - gotta try both breakfast wraps and the regular ronto wrap

Adorable SnowmanDole whip! Is it any different from the dole whips at the Tropical Hideaway?

Steakhouse 55breakfast?
Trader Sam's
La Brea BakeryI read the bread was good - is it worth a meal, or just grab some bread to go?
Ralph Brennan Jazz Expressbeignets! Are these different than the Mint Julep ones? better? worse? worth trying?

So yea...too much choice! I don't wanna miss anything but I'm sure we will. Mostly trying to do my research before hand, so I'm not faced with too much choice in the moment. :)

adorable snowman has a lemon dole whip like treat (they have it on a cone and in a parfait with blue icee like slush), and the tropical hideaway has the traditional pineapple dole whips as well as raspberry, orange, and maybe mango (though that might have been limited?). Anyway both places have delicious treats and a worth a visit!

adorable snowman has a lemon dole whip like treat (they have it on a cone and in a parfait with blue icee like slush), and the tropical hideaway has the traditional pineapple dole whips as well as raspberry, orange, and maybe mango (though that might have been limited?). Anyway both places have delicious treats and a worth a visit!
Awesome, thanks! You can never have too many sweet treats on vacation :)

We liked the poutine from Red Rose. And I do love the food at Black Tap (as well as the shakes obvs) - It’s all my guilty pleasures.

I’m starting to plan a trip to WDW and I feel exactly the opposite as you about restaurants. At DLR I know what/where every place is when I see the name. At WDW I’m lost! Doing a lot of map/menu research.

Disneyland

Carnation Cafe??

Steakhouse 55breakfast?
Trader Sam's

Okay, here goes... (my replies are in italics -- hope this is legible):

Mint Julep Barjust for beignets -- IMO, the beignets there are cute, but not tasty. Way better beignets at the Jazz Kitchen/Jazz Kitchen Express in DTD.
Red Rose Taverne?? breakfast or lunch/dinner? any recommendations? -- for L/D, we like the Cauliflower Steak Sandwich w/the spicy aioli on the side. Mix this w/ketchup to make a nice fry dipping sauce. People also like the poutine and the flatbread.
Jolly Holidaylunch and/or snacks? -- Matterhorn macaroon and the raspberry macaron are winners here! Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwich are favorites with many guests. We like the grilled veggie salad.
Bengal Barbecuelunch or dinner -- Safari Skewers all the way (extra lemon, please)!
Blue Bayou (Fantasmic dinning package)Monte Cristo -- Make sure to share this. It's very big and filling! Lunch menu only.
Carnation Cafe?? -- Baked Potato Soup, Fried Pickles (never tried, but many people love them!), Chicken Fried Chicken (very shareable). If our friends insist on getting burgers, we get a side of Walt's Chili to make chili burgers and chili fries.
Plaza Inncharacter breakfast - worth it for two adults? Some of the reviews are hit and miss... Is the food worth it just for lunch or dinner? -- Minnie's Breakfast has the most characters. People consistently report seeing around 9-11 characters per breakfast. Food is average. Characters are great. Adults have lots of fun. L/D are very good (fried chicken!) -- larger plates -- great value and very shareable portions.
Oga's Cantinawe don't drink, so non-alcoholic stop only -- we don't do alcohol here and always have fun -- stand at the bar -- that's where the action is -- bartenders are fun!
Ronto RoastersBreakfast and lunch/dinner - gotta try both breakfast wraps and the regular ronto wrap -- Ronto Wrap is the best hot dog in DL!
Docking Bay 7lunch or dinner -- We've done both -- depends on timing and mood -- good people watching from the tables overlooking the walkway/alley -- we like the ribs and the shaak roast.
Kat Saka's Kettlesnack (yay popcorn) -- regular (multicolor) flavor is gross (migraine inducing). Have heard that the chocolate with red salt is very tasty.

Carthay Circledinner, I think -- Lunch menu has the best burger in the parks. Dinner is also fun, but no burger. The CC Lounge is very fun, too. Small plates and nice drinks (non-alcoholic selection is good).
Lamplight Loungebrunch AND snacks or light dinner/lunch in the lounge -- We love the Potato Skins, the Salmon PLT, and the Donuts (!). People love the Nachos -- we only get them without lobster or with beef.
Corn Dog Castleneed a quintessential Disneyland corn dog :) -- People love the spicy corn dog (only available here).

Steakhouse 55breakfast? -- One of our favorite traditions is to end our trips with breakfast here!
Storyteller's Cafecharacter breakfast -- Usually wins for best food of all the character meals. Mickey is here!
Trader Sam's
Napa RoseChef's Counter dinner -- A winner! Always a fun experience!
La Brea BakeryI read the bread was good - is it worth a meal, or just grab some bread to go? -- This isn't the "real" bread from the original La Brea Bakery. Nancy Silverton had that written into the contract -- she got to keep the "real" bread. The DTD bread is good, but if you want the real deal, visit La Brea Bakery (2.0) on La Brea in L.A. That said, the DTD location is fine for a meal (we like breakfast, but L/D are fine).
Salt and Strawice cream!! -- YUM! And they are very generous with the samples, so ask to sample everything!
Ralph Brennan Jazz Expressbeignets! Are these different than the Mint Julep ones? better? worse? worth trying? -- Totally worth trying and way better than the Mint Julep Bar ones. Make sure that yours are fresh (not sitting around in a bag at the counter). And don't wear black when you eat them. (Ask me how I know this...)

Okay, here goes... (my replies are in italics -- hope this is legible):

Mint Julep Barjust for beignets -- IMO, the beignets there are cute, but not tasty. Way better beignets at the Jazz Kitchen/Jazz Kitchen Express in DTD.
Red Rose Taverne?? breakfast or lunch/dinner? any recommendations? -- for L/D, we like the Cauliflower Steak Sandwich w/the spicy aioli on the side. Mix this w/ketchup to make a nice fry dipping sauce. People also like the poutine and the flatbread.
Jolly Holidaylunch and/or snacks? -- Matterhorn macaroon and the raspberry macaron are winners here! Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwich are favorites with many guests. We like the grilled veggie salad.
Bengal Barbecuelunch or dinner -- Safari Skewers all the way (extra lemon, please)!
Blue Bayou (Fantasmic dinning package)Monte Cristo -- Make sure to share this. It's very big and filling! Lunch menu only.
Carnation Cafe?? -- Baked Potato Soup, Fried Pickles (never tried, but many people love them!), Chicken Fried Chicken (very shareable). If our friends insist on getting burgers, we get a side of Walt's Chili to make chili burgers and chili fries.
Plaza Inncharacter breakfast - worth it for two adults? Some of the reviews are hit and miss... Is the food worth it just for lunch or dinner? -- Minnie's Breakfast has the most characters. People consistently report seeing around 9-11 characters per breakfast. Food is average. Characters are great. Adults have lots of fun. L/D are very good (fried chicken!) -- larger plates -- great value and very shareable portions.
Oga's Cantinawe don't drink, so non-alcoholic stop only -- we don't do alcohol here and always have fun -- stand at the bar -- that's where the action is -- bartenders are fun!
Ronto RoastersBreakfast and lunch/dinner - gotta try both breakfast wraps and the regular ronto wrap -- Ronto Wrap is the best hot dog in DL!
Docking Bay 7lunch or dinner -- We've done both -- depends on timing and mood -- good people watching from the tables overlooking the walkway/alley -- we like the ribs and the shaak roast.
Kat Saka's Kettlesnack (yay popcorn) -- regular (multicolor) flavor is gross (migraine inducing). Have heard that the chocolate with red salt is very tasty.

Carthay Circledinner, I think -- Lunch menu has the best burger in the parks. Dinner is also fun, but no burger. The CC Lounge is very fun, too. Small plates and nice drinks (non-alcoholic selection is good).
Lamplight Loungebrunch AND snacks or light dinner/lunch in the lounge -- We love the Potato Skins, the Salmon PLT, and the Donuts (!). People love the Nachos -- we only get them without lobster or with beef.
Corn Dog Castleneed a quintessential Disneyland corn dog :) -- People love the spicy corn dog (only available here).

Steakhouse 55breakfast? -- One of our favorite traditions is to end our trips with breakfast here!
Storyteller's Cafecharacter breakfast -- Usually wins for best food of all the character meals. Mickey is here!
Trader Sam's
Napa RoseChef's Counter dinner -- A winner! Always a fun experience!
La Brea BakeryI read the bread was good - is it worth a meal, or just grab some bread to go? -- This isn't the "real" bread from the original La Brea Bakery. Nancy Silverton had that written into the contract -- she got to keep the "real" bread. The DTD bread is good, but if you want the real deal, visit La Brea Bakery (2.0) on La Brea in L.A. That said, the DTD location is fine for a meal (we like breakfast, but L/D are fine).
Salt and Strawice cream!! -- YUM! And they are very generous with the samples, so ask to sample everything!
Ralph Brennan Jazz Expressbeignets! Are these different than the Mint Julep ones? better? worse? worth trying? -- Totally worth trying and way better than the Mint Julep Bar ones. Make sure that yours are fresh (not sitting around in a bag at the counter). And don't wear black when you eat them. (Ask me how I know this...)

Thank you!!! So helpful :D And now I'm super hungry!

We liked the poutine from Red Rose. And I do love the food at Black Tap (as well as the shakes obvs) - It’s all my guilty pleasures.

I’m starting to plan a trip to WDW and I feel exactly the opposite as you about restaurants. At DLR I know what/where every place is when I see the name. At WDW I’m lost! Doing a lot of map/menu research.
Mmmm...sounds yummy! Maybe we'll do a meal at Black Tap too. :D

Hey, I feel ya - hopefully we both get up to speed soon!!

Well, as the world has kind of gone crazy bonkers. In light of all that and the current uncertainty regarding when the parks will open and what attractions and things will be open, we've decided to cancel/postpone to Sept 2021.

I'm really disappointed, but for us, right now, its the right decision. Here's hoping life settles down by this time next year.

Hi Tiffany, nice to hear from you! I think you are making the right decision. Things are indeed bonkers right now! IMO spending that kind of money on a vacation, you want to have the full experience and not some limited experience in the parks. And Disneyland/Cali Adventure could open then close again depending on so many different things. Yeah, its all so sad and disappointing, but as long we are okay and staying healthy, that's what is important. I hope you and hubby and fine and wading through this crazy world right now. We are doing the best we can One Day at a Time.

Well, as the world has kind of gone crazy bonkers. In light of all that and the current uncertainty regarding when the parks will open and what attractions and things will be open, we've decided to cancel/postpone to Sept 2021.

I'm really disappointed, but for us, right now, its the right decision. Here's hoping life settles down by this time next year.
The world has indeed gone crazy -- just plain nuts. Good plan to wait until next year. Hopefully by then, things will have calmed down and planning will be more stable. Right now, DLR "planning" is just too unstable -- just about everything is up in the air and out of everyone's control. So here's hoping that next year is better and that your trip can be fabulous! Keep cruising the DLR boards (the main board and the community board) for updated information about the parks and the general DLR scene -- having the latest, accurate info will pay off with all your planning. :)

I'm sorry you decided to postpone your trip, but I think you made the right decision. We cancelled our Disney World vacation before it would've been cancelled for us - we would've been there in mid-May for our first trip with our daughter. The fact that the parks weren't open anyway helped a bit, but it stinks when you've had months of planning washed away.

I'm sure better times are ahead!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!