Potential Purchaser

KCMA

Mouseketeer
Long time reader first time poster... need some advice from some of the vets on here... been at Disney the last 2 years BW and currently at BC as a type.. have plans to come back in September/October and hopefully once a year as we all love Disney (myself/wife 2 young kids).. finally went to a presentation for DVC and think it may be for us... they were pushing the Polynesian and Copper Creek... are others available to buy direct?.. we are happy with the studio rooms and are fairly flexible on travel dates if booked in advance .. what is a good point value to start at was thinking 110 points (to cover a week).. what else should we be aware of ? I know that's a tough one.. the Rep said if we commit before we head home we get our points right away then our next set of points in August.. that make sense?.. any help or advice would be great!

Thanks and look forward to contributing more to these forums!

We hate studios don't do them. We used to be a party of 5 then we did 2 bedrooms now just 3 we do 1 bedrooms and probably always will. Fur us tuts the point of DVC having more space and better facilities if we had been happy in a studio we would have continued to rent hotel rooms.

When you get your points is your use year. You can pick a Use year it isn't up to the rep so they don't have to renew in august.

And ask for the resort you want making it clear you don't want to be forced into what you don't.

Also don't buy before looking at resale much better value

Hey KCMA. I am in the same boat as you (considering a purchase), but I would suggest very strongly that you head home first and think about it. People on these boards have bought recently (after they went home) and got points for the current year. I'm not sure how much success folks have had buying direct and not Copper Creek nor Poly, but remember that the Riviera Resort is opening up in a few years, so if that location would be a better fit, you'd just need to be a little patient.

they were pushing the Polynesian and Copper Creek... are others available to buy direct?

Yes, but you will pay a significant markup compared to buying the same points via resale.

what is a good point value to start at was thinking 110 points (to cover a week)

Depends on season and resort, really.

the Rep said if we commit before we head home we get our points right away then our next set of points in August.

You would get that buying direct if you go home and think it through without pixie dust clouding your vision. The guides make it sound special, but they're trying to close a sale. They are salespeople, selling a timeshare.

Things to consider:
  • When you typically travel
  • ability to plan 11-7 months in advance
  • annual dues
  • what resort you like best, or if you really just want to get into the system
It's important to understand that DVC "busy season" is right now -- really, it's mid-September through marathon. It's not spring break or summer.

Most guides talk up how you can "stay anywhere!" and can "change at 7 months no problem!" but this is a simplification and exaggeration depending on time of year and what you have an eye on.

You can buy direct for other resorts but there is usually a waiting list. The most important thing is to buy where you think you want to stay the most. As for points, calculate that based on where you will most likely stay, how long you'll be there, and what time of year you'll want to go.

:welcome: to the DIS @KCMA!

I am by no means a “vet” as I am in the process of completing my first purchase. You are very smart to have come here and posted your questions!

I strongly encourage you to enjoy the rest of your vacation and then when you get home, start (or continue) to research and learn about resale vs. direct, crunch some numbers, consider Use Year, points charts, where you think you’d like to stay, what resort really best suits your family, etc., etc. You are under no pressure or hurry to make this purchase, right? So take your time to consider all your options. In the long run you will be much happier that you did! Good luck!!!

Long time reader first time poster... need some advice from some of the vets on here... been at Disney the last 2 years BW and currently at BC as a type.. have plans to come back in September/October and hopefully once a year as we all love Disney (myself/wife 2 young kids).. finally went to a presentation for DVC and think it may be for us... they were pushing the Polynesian and Copper Creek... are others available to buy direct?.. we are happy with the studio rooms and are fairly flexible on travel dates if booked in advance .. what is a good point value to start at was thinking 110 points (to cover a week).. what else should we be aware of ? I know that's a tough one.. the Rep said if we commit before we head home we get our points right away then our next set of points in August.. that make sense?.. any help or advice would be great!

Thanks and look forward to contributing more to these forums!
I would spend some time investigating including home resort and UY. It's likely your best option is to buy resale then add on retail 25 points. You get all the benefits of value and will save some serious money, more than you would getting that next trip on points. Just make sure you can afford it and you understand what you're getting into including compromises, planning and the long term $$$ commitment.

Agree with others, wait till you get home and research Resale! Also we LOVE the DVC studios and have stayed in them exclusively over the past years.

Something else to keep in mind: You have been staying at BW and BC. Have you stayed at a Magic Kingdom resort? That's what they're pushing. CCV, especially, is going to be very different than either BCV or BWV, and only sleeps 4 in a studio, hard limit. There are also oddities about the CCV studios in terms of layout and booking. It's important to know that if you bought CCV or Poly, you would rarely get a studio at BWV or BCV from October-marathon, and if you got one, it would be by grace and favor of the waitlist.

I find it rare that parents of young children enjoy waitlist roulette and potentially taking on split stays requiring jumping across campus and being without a room for 3-6 hours on move day. I find it rare that new DVC owners dream of becoming intimate with waitlisting as a regular habit. Neither is in the main sales pitch, for sure.

If you really want to stick with Crescent Lake, you really have to own BWV or BCV. While there are some periods you'd be able to book, both resorts are getting harder even in DVC off-season. During high season it likely wouldn't happen for you. A 1BR is a little easier, but a lot more points. BCV and BWV points direct from Disney cost about the same as the Poly or CCV points your guide is pushing, but expire in 2042 (versus 2066 for Poly and 2068 for CCV).

In addition, consider that you may be flexible now, but with two young kids you may become subject to school and sport schedules in the coming years.

I think there is a lot to think about, especially for a purchase that has a capital outlay of $18k+ with several thousand additional expenses annually -- before you even travel to Disney or eat!

the Rep said if we commit before we head home we get our points right away then our next set of points in August.
I'll translate this for you more openly.

"If you commit any time between now and July 31, 2018, you would get your points right away, then your next set of points on August 1, 2018"

Relative to other timeshare sales, DVC is a low key/low pressure sales office. That said, they are still a sales group that is incentivized by moving contracts.

Don't feel pressured to buy while you are there. There is no compelling reason to.

what is a good point value to start at was thinking 110 points (to cover a week).. what else should we be aware of ? I know that's a tough one.. the Rep said if we commit before we head home we get our points right away then our next set of points in August.. that make sense?..
First off do you want to stay at poly or CCV? if not then your next step would be to consider all the other resorts via buying resale -this can save about 40%+/- if you want an older resort vs going direct for a newer resort or even buying an older resort from DVC.

You have stayed at BW and BC - do you want to be at the epcot resorts? There will be a new Riviera resort opening in 2019 that will be an "epcot" resort with the gondola transportation.

To determine the number of points you first need to figure out what resort you want to stay at, what season you will travel then figure out the points needed for your season and then add 10% -in case there is reallocation of points. Davids DVC rental has a very easy calendar which you put in your dates and then you can see the points cost for each resort.

Most here will advise not to buy while you are there. come home brush off the pixi dust and really look at the financial aspect. DVC will always be there so do not feel pressured. Read up everything you can on here and ask lots of questions before you consider buying.

Note: If you decide on resale, remember the older resorts (BWV, BC, OKW, WL) have an expiration date of 2042. With the price of resale today, such as BC going for $120 a point with an expiration date of 2042, buying direct from Disney for the new resorts would be cheaper in the long run plus you get some benefits.

As another post said, Disney is building another DVC that will have access to the boardwalk location. That might be something to consider!

DVC has been great for us and I highly recommend it. However, you have plenty of time to make an informed decision. No need to rush. There is a spectrum between impulse buying and analysis paralysis. You want to be somewhere in the middle.

Note: If you decide on resale, remember the older resorts (BWV, BC, OKW, WL) have an expiration date of 2042. With the price of resale today, such as BC going for $120 a point with an expiration date of 2042, buying direct from Disney for the new resorts would be cheaper in the long run plus you get some benefits.

As another post said, Disney is building another DVC that will have access to the boardwalk location. That might be something to consider!

But, it is worth noting: If you buy the new resorts, you're unlikely to regularly or consistently stay at BCV or BWV. So the value may be diminished. Value is both financial and emotional, as a Disney vacation does not actually make any financial sense overall in the first place.

Yes, but you will pay a significant markup compared to buying the same points via resale.

Depends on season and resort, really.

You would get that buying direct if you go home and think it through without pixie dust clouding your vision. The guides make it sound special, but they're trying to close a sale. They are salespeople, selling a timeshare.

Things to consider:
  • When you typically travel
  • ability to plan 11-7 months in advance
  • annual dues
  • what resort you like best, or if you really just want to get into the system
It's important to understand that DVC "busy season" is right now -- really, it's mid-September through marathon. It's not spring break or summer.

Most guides talk up how you can "stay anywhere!" and can "change at 7 months no problem!" but this is a simplification and exaggeration depending on time of year and what you have an eye on.

Something else to keep in mind: You have been staying at BW and BC. Have you stayed at a Magic Kingdom resort? That's what they're pushing. CCV, especially, is going to be very different than either BCV or BWV, and only sleeps 4 in a studio, hard limit. There are also oddities about the CCV studios in terms of layout and booking. It's important to know that if you bought CCV or Poly, you would rarely get a studio at BWV or BCV from October-marathon, and if you got one, it would be by grace and favor of the waitlist.

I find it rare that parents of young children enjoy waitlist roulette and potentially taking on split stays requiring jumping across campus and being without a room for 3-6 hours on move day. I find it rare that new DVC owners dream of becoming intimate with waitlisting as a regular habit. Neither is in the main sales pitch, for sure.

If you really want to stick with Crescent Lake, you really have to own BWV or BCV. While there are some periods you'd be able to book, both resorts are getting harder even in DVC off-season. During high season it likely wouldn't happen for you. A 1BR is a little easier, but a lot more points. BCV and BWV points direct from Disney cost about the same as the Poly or CCV points your guide is pushing, but expire in 2042 (versus 2066 for Poly and 2068 for CCV).

In addition, consider that you may be flexible now, but with two young kids you may become subject to school and sport schedules in the coming years.

I think there is a lot to think about, especially for a purchase that has a capital outlay of $18k+ with several thousand additional expenses annually -- before you even travel to Disney or eat!

ALL OF THIS! We got all starry eyed about DVC from our first stay in 2015, and didn't buy in (BLT, resale), until early 2017, after 4-5 more stays at different resorts, and lots of discussion. DH and I almost ended up in analysis paralysis, but got a good deal and bought at the right time *for us*. Our kids are 6 and 2, and we are considering a 2nd home resort and are close to analysis paralysis on that one too. But I think DH and I broke out of that last night and he may have us going in a very different direction from where we were just 8 months ago. Or even last week, lol.

Welcome to the DIS! These boards are the best source of solid information, and a few months of research here will save you thousands of $ and possible buyer's remorse.

Thank you everyone for your replies so far!! I already learned so much!! I wish I had discovered these boards before our first trip here!!

Don't fall for the salesman's line that you can book at any resort at 7 months, or can book your choice of accommodations at your home resort at any time of the year between 7 and 11 months. The truth is that certain resorts, including BCV and BWV, have little or no studio availability during huge blocks of the year when you reach 7 months, and there are some categories of villas that are snatched up exactly at the 11 month window.

Buy where you want to stay. If you like BCV and BWK, choose one of them and then make the decision whether you want to buy direct (advantage is that you'll get this year's points and get the perks of being a direct member, like annual pass discounts) or resale (which may not come with this year's points, or may come with this year's and last year's). There's a significant price difference between the two. And, there's also the hybrid approach, which is very popular today. Buy the bulk of your points resale for the price savings, and then use those savings to buy a 25 point direct add on with the same use year and resort. e.g., buy 100 points at BCV for $130 per point resale, then buy 25 more direct for $165 per point, for a total outlay of $17,125 for 125 points. This is versus a direct only purchase of 110 points at BCV at $18,150, or a direct only purchase of 110 at the Poly at $19,360. A hybrid gives you the benefits of a direct purchaser at a cheaper price. The key is to find the right resale contract and buy that first.

You can also potentially wait for the Riviera resort coming next year, which would put you in the same area as BCV and BWV.

I strongly advocate staying at a resort before choosing it as my home resort. My wife and I stayed all over before choosing BLT. Had we bought where we thought we originally wanted, Poly (and then BCV), we likely would have been happy with the purchase, but not as happy as are with BLT.

At this point, enjoy the rest of your trip, don't think about buying before you leave. There is no hurry. The "current year points" promised by the salesperson will still be available to you when you go home.

Only advice I have is to not be pressured into the direct buy there. The deal will always be there or something similar to it. Take your time and decide what works best for you even if that take another vacation or two on rentals. There usually isn’t a good enough deal to have to jump in.

See attached to give you some idea of availability at 7 months (when you can book other resorts). This was 2015 data but still pretty accurate.

Attachments

• Blank-1-4-3-3-1-1-1-1.pdf
    57.7 KB · Views: 22
See attached to give you some idea of availability at 7 months (when you can book other resorts). This was 2015 data but still pretty accurate.

I feel like I should I already know this but what do the numbers after the room type mean?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!