Power Outage at Busch Gardens Tampa

BachataMan

Registered
Yesterday, Busch Gardens in Tampa experienced a total power failure from opening until about 1:30 PM per multiple sources. Some same day ticket buyers were able to get in for free, people who were doing the safari still got to, and people were even able to get into Adventure Island next door with their BG day pass. Yet many more showed up and were not compensated for their lost time.

All I gotta say is I’m glad I was at Magic Kingdom when this was happening.

Seriously though, why am I not surprised even one iota this is happening? Busch Gardens has been going down hill for years now, and it doesn’t help that they’re owned by Sea World Parks and Entertainment, but when things like this happen, they’re not only just getting their asses kicked by parks like Disney and Universal; they’re now just a broken punching bag scattered across the floor.

More later.

The power outage was caused by a squirrel in the substation. It was not due to negligence on the part of Busch Gardens management.

http://www.wfla.com/news/hillsborou...ays-busch-gardens-opening-saturday/1175127366

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these things happen at Disney parks too.

Disneyland just suffered a power outage this past December:

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article191833869.html

And let's not forget when guests were stuck for hours on the monorail:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-disney-monorail-stranded-passengers-story.html

Yes, I understand these sort of things happen at Disney, unfortunately. I'll admit I'm even biased towards Disney and my opinion of BG is very low based on recent personal experiences at the park. Hell I've personally been evacuated off of It's A Small World, which would give the average person a seizure.

But this recent incident is just a complete disaster, and one BG can't afford for its already crippling park.

First off, how does a squirrel shut down power to an entire multi-acre and multi-billion dollar theme park? You would think they would have backup generators since those are easier to own in Florida than in California and are common especially for weather purposes. Then again, we're talking about a park that can't even afford to remove a rotting wooden roller coaster that closed down three years ago.

Even worse is not so much that the power outage happened but how Busch Gardens handled it. I heard that the employees were extremely rude during the process, and that doesn't surprise me one bit. Guests weren't allowed to use the bathrooms and no food or drinks were available in a theme park where the security believes that people who try to bring in food/drinks into the park are more of a threat than people who bring in weapons. Luckly yesterday wasn't a super hot day like it had been, or things would have been MUCH worse. The only thing BG did to compensate guests was keep the park open a whole extra hour and tell people that their passes were good to go over to Adventure Island or even to Sea World.

The thing is I'm outraged this all went down and I wasn't even a victim of it. Like I said, I was enjoying my time in the Magic Kingdom while all this was happening, but usually when I do go to BG it is during the beginning of the day on Saturday. In this case, I could say I dodged a bullet but it would be more accurate to say I dodged the Death Star's super cannon. Had I been in the middle of all this, I can for sure guarantee you that it would have been the very last time I even go near BG. I don't care that I live much closer to it than I do to Disney or Sea World; the extra drive time is more than well worth it compared to going through the crap that goes on at BG.

BachataMan my comments are italicized

First off, how does a squirrel shut down power to an entire multi-acre and multi-billion dollar theme park? You would think they would have backup generators since those are easier to own in Florida than in California and are common especially for weather purposes.

Easily! We live near the woods, have lost count how many times we’ve lost power and see a dead squirrel hanging from the live wire. Additionally, I cannot begin to imagine the # of generators necessary to safely maintain all operations in even a small park

I heard that the Guests weren't allowed to use the bathrooms and no food or drinks were available in a theme park where the security believes that people who try to bring in food/drinks into the park are more of a threat than people who bring in weapons. Luckly yesterday wasn't a super hot day like it had been, or things would have been MUCH worse. The only thing BG did to compensate guests was keep the park open a whole extra hour and tell people that their passes were good to go over to Adventure Island or even to Sea World.

Umm, think a bit on what you wrote here. You need electricity for the bathrooms to ‘function properly’ and the food/drinks/cash registers need power to operate.

I’m sure they do have emergency generators on their larger refrigeration units & freezers.

Not sure of laws in FL covering amusement parks as to this sort of situation but going to guess even local health departments would require service be shut down until the power is restored as to safety issues of the guests

I’ve been @ Cedar Point when the same thing happened. Again, power went down, nothing they could do to accommodate any sort of return tix etc at that time. The nearby hotels on jetty also involved. The guests had to leave. So glad we were at their Castaway Bay resort on the end of the peninsula and it wasn’t in the mix. That would’ve been along drive home after a tiring day.

We had already enjoyed a good half day in the park. Felt really bad for the employees (obviously majority were students via part-time summer jobs), getting loudly berated by many ignorant guests. Police had to be summoned to clear the exits where angry guests were loudly milling about. Not a pretty sight, wished my GD didn’t see so many people at their worst that night.

All it took was a phone call the following business day to CP corporate. We were originally offered free tickets but since it was near the end of the season and a four hour dive for us, I politely declined and requested a refund in full for my park tickets and the all you can eat/drink tickets. They immediately agreed and were very cordial about the whole thing, apologizing profusely and thanking me for understanding it was a freak incident.

Haven’t heard any accounts of guests reporting the same ‘love’ re the BG recent incident, but I’d like to think those affected would act responsibly and make the effort to contact BG and at lest give them a chance to make it right before complaining on a message board.

The thing is I'm outraged this all went down and I wasn't even a victim of it. Like I said, I was enjoying my time in the Magic Kingdom while all this was happening, but usually when I do go to BG it is during the beginning of the day on Saturday. In this case, I could say I dodged a bullet but it would be more accurate to say I dodged the Death Star's super cannon. Had I been in the middle of all this, I can for sure guarantee you that it would have been the very last time I even go near BG. I don't care that I live much closer to it than I do to Disney or Sea World; the extra drive time is more than well worth it compared to going through the crap that goes on at BG.

Sounds like you are a passionate person in general. A very good thing for you that you elected to visit the MK that day. I’m reading you have experienced other ‘crap’ @ BG & this may be the final straw. Rejoice, you have options where you play and are fortunate to live within a short driving distance of so many amazing parks where there is something for everyone to enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter