Pre-Alaskan Cruise Hotel Suggestions out of Vancouver BC

disneylovers14

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone-Need some suggestions on where to stay for 2 nights prior to boarding the Disney Wonder in June. Needless to say, I was having some sticker shock when I was seeing $450-$500/night for anywhere near the port. Would love to hear where you stayed and how you got to the port and then back to airport. Thanks in Advance!

We enjoyed the Sheraton Wall Centre. It's a beautiful hotel and close to a lot cool stuff. Vancouver is pricey! We cashed in Sheraton points.

We have the Westin Bayshore booked for pre and are looking at the Westin Grand for post and possibly changing to Pre as well. Same as MUN, we are using points for our stay and we discovered it's cheaper to buy points to make up the difference than it is to pay the going rate. I was pretty shocked at the rates.

We also used points (Marriott Pinnacle) as we wanted to be somewhat close to the water, but weren't willing to pay the price in $$$$. If you do a search on here, there are several threads offering affordable suggestions in Vancouver (well, affordable for Vancouver anyway). Personally I'd never pay the premium for one of the waterfront hotels, as we were hardly even at our hotel except to sleep. Vancouver is an incredible city and you are going to want to be out and about.

As for transportation we just took a cab from the airport and to the port. It wasn't very expensive and much easier than dragging luggage on the train (at least for us - we don't exactly travel light). Cabs are plentiful in Vancouver and reasonably priced for a big city, we thought.

Edited: I just found a couple of those other threads (besides the one the PP mentioned)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/hotel-near-vancover-waterfront.3527059/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...d-to-find-a-hotel-in-vancouver-still.3574835/

Last edited:
We were at the Hampton Inn across from BC place. Pretty nice, included breakfast, and they had a shuttle that would take you to the port (or at least did when we were there in 2015)...

We stayed at the Auberge Vancover Hotel. It was close to the port but off the water so still a little pricey but nothing like the Pan Pacific or any of those right at the port. We walked with our luggage the day of. With just the two adults walking wasn't an issue but if you have children, walking from there with all your luggage may be too much. Honestly, looking back we kind of wished we stayed somewhere right at the airport for less $. The train goes straight from the airport to just a few blocks from the port. Though it was nice to explore the area near the port a little the night before and in the morning before getting on the boat. It also worked out well to find some beer and wine before boarding. Side note: in Canada they don't sell beer & wine in grocery stores so you have to go to a special alcohol store. We walked around to about 3 grocery stores and pharmacies before finally just asking and then had to wait until the nearest shop opened at 10am.

We stayed for three nights at the Pan Pacific. We got a great deal with AAA, but in the end took the pay with no refund deal about a month before going and saved tons and even got a bay view. It's a great location and the bellhop will come to your room to collect your luggage and take it to the terminal for check in (you keep your carry-ons) and you just take the elevator from the lobby right down into the terminal.

In 2007 for our honeymoon we stayed at the Rosedale on Robson. and last year for our 10th anniversary we stayed there again.

I'm pretty sure they still have the same furnishings and decor as ten years ago, and they were dated even back then haha. But what the heck. It's conveniently located, the staff are helpful and it's comfortable enough. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite each time and that works out great if you have small kids.

We sailed on the Star Princess out of Canada place, and we simply took a cab/minivan to the port. Easy enough and they fit in 4 people and tons of luggage.

If you feel up for an educated gamble you can find something great on Hotwire. We are staying in Vancouver 4 nights pre cruise in July and needed two rooms for our party (which includes my MIL, so opting for a nice place.) Ended up with two great rooms at The Four Seasons downtown for less than $350 per night. That was a lot less than the rack rate for the Days Inn downtown. And you can definitely get a less expensive room than I got at Four Seasons if you step down to a 3 or 4 star hotel through Hotwire.

We loooooved our stay at the Sunset Inn and Suites. It's not right next to the port, but we were fine with that and snagged a taxi. Rooms are huge! And free wifi, parking and breakfast included with your stay.

Taxi to hotel from airport, and taxi from port to airport. It's a flat rate from the airport to hotel, I think $35 CAD?

I have posted pics of our room on my trip report of you're interested in seeing what our room looked like!

Have a fantastic cruise!

There are so many decent hotels in downtown Vancouver, and taxis are really very reasonable.

Our fave is le grande residence at Sutton Place, and Sutton Place next.

But we generally aren’t staying there during summer aka cruise season. :)

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Robson in September 2017 before our cruise, and it was very nice. They have a free shuttle to the port, but you need to sign up for it first thing on embarkation morning. It’s within walking distance of most of the city. When we disembarked we stayed overnight to fly out the next morning. For that night, we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Richmond near the airport. They have a free shuttle to the airport that you need to sign up for in advance. We were disappointed that Richmond is not very walkable, and there were few choices of places to eat near the hotel. But it did the job, and flying out early in the morning was a better choice for us than a red-eye flight. We spent the day after the cruise on the hop on-hop off bus tour, which we enjoyed very much. The luggage handling company at the port stored our bags and then took them to the hotel for us; that cost $40.00 CD, and it was well worth it.

If you are a Once Upon a Time fan, make a trip to Moncton Street in the Steveson section of Richmond. That is where "Storeybrooke" is!

I second the Blue Horizon. It was well located: not too far from the port (short taxi ride), with 2 hop-on, hop-off bus stops very near, clean, modern, and we enjoyed a good dinner and breakfast in their restaurant.

Hi Everyone-Need some suggestions on where to stay for 2 nights prior to boarding the Disney Wonder in June.
Another vote for Blue Horizon for value travelers.

If you share you desired hotel dates, I can make some suggestions based with availability.

BTW.... June 23-24 Vancouver is hosting a massive dragon boat race that fills the hotels this year. I love the Guts 'n Glory finale. http://vancouverdragonboatfestival.ca/

We also did Blue Horizon. It's right on Robson if you want to walk to a restaurant. Right on the hop-on hop-off circuit. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms were nice, and the price was good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter