Pre-pay locations - what happens if you add DDP afterwards?

Nikred513

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! On my previous trips I did opt for the regular DDP booked as a package through Disney. Our next trip, we rented DVC points - so I haven't yet added DDP to our reservations yet. HDD is a prepay meal, if I book this (cat. 2) and prepay, what happens if I add the DDP afterwards? Do I get a refund or do I have 2 additional TS credits to plan?

Following...I am wondering the same. I am hoping we have the option to let our server know up front we would like to use DDP credits. I assume as long as you show up for your ADR or cancel during the appropriate time frame, your money will be refunded.

You can go your resort’s concierge starting a few days before or the ticket windows outside HDDR right before show and switch from prepay to credits, as long as the show you booked is one that allows dining credits to be used. They will issue a refund then. I have done this many times. I wouldn’t expect your server will be able to handle this (I mean, they might be able to, but they are VERY busy with lots of tables. It is more considerate to arrive a few minutes early and take care of it at the ticket booth before being seated)

You can probably also call dining after you have booked dining plan and switch then. I have never done this because tables are assigned in order of booking and I don’t want to take the chance the dining phone CM will cancel and re-book because that affects my table assignment.

You can go your resort’s concierge starting a few days before or the ticket windows outside HDDR right before show and switch from prepay to credits, as long as the show you booked is one that allows dining credits to be used. They will issue a refund then. I have done this many times. I wouldn’t expect your server will be able to handle this (I mean, they might be able to, but they are VERY busy with lots of tables. It is more considerate to arrive a few minutes early and take care of it at the ticket booth before being seated)

You can probably also call dining after you have booked dining plan and switch then. I have never done this because tables are assigned in order of booking and I don’t want to take the chance the dining phone CM will cancel and re-book because that affects my table assignment.
I did not realize tables are assigned in order of booking. Something to consider... Thank you for your reply!

I did that last year with Aloha. Pre-paid, then add DDP. It was a nightmare (for me) to get refunds. I asked the concierge and at check in, they both told me it's OK, just talked to the hosts at venue. What should happened is that at the restaurant, the hosts are supposed to switch out the pre-payment with your DDP in their system (aka you get a refund on your CC). That didn't happen. The host just confirmed that we're on meal plan. On our last day I noticed the refund still didn't happen and we had leftover TS. Took me literally 2 hours at check out, dealing with the Manager. He had to make multiple calls too. The system won't let him override the payment section, so it's really the system that couldn't handle this switch *after* the meal was done.

1 more thing. I tried changing this over the phone pre-trip (they couldn't), talked to hotel front desk beforehand (no access to DDP system), Guest service (they could only tell you # of TS left..etc, but couldn't change plan) and referred us back to concierge who told us to talk to restaurant. It's a rare Disney failure.

Moral of the story, don't wait till check out to sort this out. Make sure the host change the payment to DDP before you sit down. Check cc the day after the dinner. Shouldn't take longer than 24 hours. And watch your TS / snack counts.

I did that last year with Aloha. Pre-paid, then add DDP. It was a nightmare (for me) to get refunds. I asked the concierge and at check in, they both told me it's OK, just talked to the hosts at venue. What should happened is that at the restaurant, the hosts are supposed to switch out the pre-payment with your DDP in their system (aka you get a refund on your CC). That didn't happen. The host just confirmed that we're on meal plan. On our last day I noticed the refund still didn't happen and we had leftover TS. Took me literally 2 hours at check out, dealing with the Manager. He had to make multiple calls too. The system won't let him override the payment section, so it's really the system that couldn't handle this switch *after* the meal was done.

1 more thing. I tried changing this over the phone pre-trip (they couldn't), talked to hotel front desk beforehand (no access to DDP system), Guest service (they could only tell you # of TS left..etc, but couldn't change plan) and referred us back to concierge who told us to talk to restaurant. It's a rare Disney failure.

Moral of the story, don't wait till check out to sort this out. Make sure the host change the payment to DDP before you sit down. Check cc the day after the dinner. Shouldn't take longer than 24 hours. And watch your TS / snack counts.
Oh wow, that was quite the fiasco. Do you think if I just leave it as cc vs DDP, would that save lots of headache? I already prepaid, so I’m not missing the money. And if it saves me this huge headache of trying to get a refund...worth it!

I had a similar experience. We did this with CRT for our trip a few weeks ago. It was a sh*tshow to be honest. I asked 3 different times at the restaurant and was told everything happens "automatically" and my credit card would be refunded. I checked and the 12 table credits were removed. Of course, I watched my CC and it never was refunded. I called and was given the run around - it can take 2 statements to show up, that it was impossible for the system not to give me my money back if the table credits had been used.

They then tried to tell me that they could see my CC wasn't going to be refunded and that I must not have used the table credits. I most DEFINITELY did use 12 table credits at CRT. I had to get it escalated 3 people before someone could see my dining history and confirm that the table credits were used, as well as the pre-payment kept. They told me they had never had this "double charge" happen before and refunded my money.

I told my father to check his CC, as he had made the other reservation for our party, and he did not get refunded either - even though he used 10 table credits. So now we have to call all over again.

If people aren't checking closely, I imagine this "double dipping" happens way more than anyone knows.

I had a similar experience. We did this with CRT for our trip a few weeks ago. It was a sh*tshow to be honest. I asked 3 different times at the restaurant and was told everything happens "automatically" and my credit card would be refunded. I checked and the 12 table credits were removed. Of course, I watched my CC and it never was refunded. I called and was given the run around - it can take 2 statements to show up, that it was impossible for the system not to give me my money back if the table credits had been used.

They then tried to tell me that they could see my CC wasn't going to be refunded and that I must not have used the table credits. I most DEFINITELY did use 12 table credits at CRT. I had to get it escalated 3 people before someone could see my dining history and confirm that the table credits were used, as well as the pre-payment kept. They told me they had never had this "double charge" happen before and refunded my money.

I told my father to check his CC, as he had made the other reservation for our party, and he did not get refunded either - even though he used 10 table credits. So now we have to call all over again.

If people aren't checking closely, I imagine this "double dipping" happens way more than anyone knows.
After seeing this seems to be a problem, I am definitely using my cc and not DDP for this reservation! Thank you for sharing.

Just another point of view for you, we changed ours from credit card from both HDDR and Cinderellas to ddp with no issues. Once I added the Ddp, I just called the dining line and they made the switch before we ever left home.

Just another point of view for you, we changed ours from credit card from both HDDR and Cinderellas to ddp with no issues. Once I added the Ddp, I just called the dining line and they made the switch before we ever left home.
I'm curious - did you book direct through disney or through dvc? Curious how the people who ran into problems booked? I'm wondering if people booking direct with Disney may not have quite the same hassle?

Last edited:
I am in the same boat. We are booking CRT as soon as our 180 day window opens, however we won't add the DDP until a bit closer. We'll try to work it out prior to our trip or work with the concierge at our resort. I will try to work it out or else leave CRT on credit card and make 2 more ADRs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!