Predatory timeshare company hanging out at IOA!

Hippopupamous

Earning My Ears
As a heads up, we were stopped by a rep for westgate resorts at IOA this morning. Tried to book us a “resort tour” and some other stuff for tomorrow. We initially said yes, paid a $40 deposit, went on our merry way to ride some rides. As we were googling this company we read a whole bunch of horror story reviews on various travel sites and decided after realizing we stupidly agreed to attend a timeshare pitch, we went back over to the guy and advised we were no longer interested in participating.

As passholders, we reached out to universal and they logged a report but we were surprised (kinda disappointed) to learn that this is a universal partner.

Anyway it was a $40 lesson learned that we can hopefully help other people not make.

When they approach, it is very easy to just say no thanks. If they are pushy, after all that is how they earn money and if the car payment is coming up they may be more pushy, just say I am sorry, but we can not take on additional expense at this time and move on.

Now on the other hand, if you want to play what we call the condo game, sign up, you will get your $40 back plus whatever else you are promised. You usually get a meal, and what we consider a good show. We have actually had them jumping up and down or turning blue or even crying when we said no. Don't play if you have thin skin or overly sympathetic because they are experts in spotting those type of people.

If they say it is for a one hour presentation, wrap it up at one hour and you have fullfilled your obligation.
Remember to always say no. No matter what they are offering as a "deal" for your future travel needs, with airbnb and the like you will always be able to do better.

We used to play all the time when we went down on a limited budget. Those were the days.

We recently played in branson and after only two times, we had the return of the gas money we had budgeted for, and Dixie Stampede tickets (we did have to buy one more so everybody could go).

But anyway OP, thanks for the heads up so people can be prepared if it happens to them.

Personally, I do not have a problem with these types of what I consider scams because when we have played we have always gotten what they promised even when we gave a firm no. No hard feelings on my part. Plus if you have had a really rough day and you have not had anybody to yell at, well, there you go.

Honestly, Westgate is a nice place to stay. I would never buy into their program. Taxes and maintance is running right around a thousand a year right now.

We just stayed at westgate lakes recently, the best one if you are doing seaworld, universal. Nice pools and they have a handicap lift for the pool and the hottubs which I absolutely have to have.

We got a three bedroom through airbnb for I think $800 for the week. So as you can see, that was $200 less than if we owned there. It is not always available, but it is really nice if you can get it for when you need it.

It is right across the interstate to the entrance to sea world, and straight up the road a couple of miles to universal.

Nice place to stay, but DO NOT become an owner unless you just have lots of money to burn.

I booked at a westgate for spring break this year through Airbnb because that's where my brother was staying and it was just convenient. When I went to check in they did the same thing there and told me they wanted me to come to some breakfast or something. Didn't really say what it was for. I just said no and I will take my keys. They gave up and I walked away. Then I found out my brother signed up for the breakfast, had to pay a $40 deposit (they are already Westgate owners) and the 60 minute presentation was a 90 minute presentation where the salesperson attempted to get them to sign over all of the equity in the property but sold it as something else. They read the paperwork and told them no. For me, it's not worth my time for and aggravation for the "freebies".

They've been at IOA for years I think (I've seen them at Superhero Island). They asked me once if I wanted a free breakfast, when it turned out to be a timeshare place I just walked away.

I really don't understand the "Im getting mad at you sales approach". Who the #$&% does that even work on? They'd be getting some serious stink eye from me with that tactic.

They take a deposit now to get people to show up. Too many people signing up then not showing up.

You used to not have to put a deposit down, but now you have to expect it. never had a problem getting it back once we were there.

I saw them this trip. We just shake our heads and keep walking. Don’t even stop. We would have done an audience participation thing they were doing while we were there, you watch a test tv show and rate it. But since we’ve not US citizens we weren’t eligible. I think they were giving $30 I figure that would cover a nice dinner!

Usually these people always approach you with the line 'where are you visiting from?'. We always say some local town and they lose interest real quick.

As a heads up, we were stopped by a rep for westgate resorts at IOA this morning. Tried to book us a “resort tour” and some other stuff for tomorrow. We initially said yes, paid a $40 deposit, went on our merry way to ride some rides. As we were googling this company we read a whole bunch of horror story reviews on various travel sites and decided after realizing we stupidly agreed to attend a timeshare pitch, we went back over to the guy and advised we were no longer interested in participating.

As passholders, we reached out to universal and they logged a report but we were surprised (kinda disappointed) to learn that this is a universal partner.

Anyway it was a $40 lesson learned that we can hopefully help other people not make.

Cash or CC? If CC wait for the charge to post on ur CC & file a claim

Cash or CC? If CC wait for the charge to post on ur CC & file a claim

They get it n cash because they give it back to you in cash.

But the OP went and canceled their appointment and got their $40 back at that time.
Your whole post amused me, but this part was especially amusing. :)

Trust me, they are well used to being yelled at. It sometimes surprises me how upset some people get. Sometimes it is the actual salesperson throwing a fit.

I remember one guy standing up and screaming for people to just say no because they were all a pack of lying dogs. He was screaming until they put him forceably outside. He was probably still screaming, but we couldn't hear him anymore.

With some of the outburst I have seen, it always surprises me they still conduct the sales talks in one big room.

We just consider the outburst a part of the show. Some are really funny.

Oh yeah, one last tip, if you do consider buying into the property, (DON'T) do not do it at the sales meeting. Often I have been sent to a back office where they offer me the same property for half or more of the price they were quoting at the sales meeting. Same everything. This is esp true of complexes they are still building on. Sometimes the place you are directed to is a small construction shack.

My cousin lives in a touristy area and they are owners of a property there and they use it for the amenities which as owners and your guest you have access to use such as the pool and hot tubs, shows, they have a bingo & pizza party every friday night for $5 a person the last time we went. I think it was $10 for nonowners. He thinks it is well worth it. He has had it for years and is now taking the grandkids. He did buy a resell.

I don't live anywhere near anything like that. If I did, I might feel differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!