Pregnancy and rides??

michelleiada

DIS Veteran
My daughter will be 5-6 months pregnant with our first grand baby (yay) on our next trip in May. What can she ride and what should she avoid? Anyone that has experience with being pregnant at WDW, would love to hear from you.

I’m a WDW local and I’m currently 8 months pregnant. I go on pretty much everything without a height requirement except for the Safari. It’s just too long, too hot, too bumpy, and actually has a pregnancy warning.

The only ride that I go on that does have a height requirement is Soarin as it doesn’t have a pregnancy warning. Pretty much every other ride with a height requirement also has a pregnancy warning.

A few tips: Take it easy with lots of breaks and don’t hesitate to use a wheelchair/ECV if she gets tired. Drink lots of water, available free at all QS restaurants. Bring plenty of snacks and at least 2 pairs of shoes. There is nothing better than having fresh socks in the middle of the day.

Disney has that listed on their website - literally you can go to things to do - attractions - and then filter for expectant mothers and get a list. That will be the most conservative as Disney does not want to be the cause of a miscarriage due to not warning guests of the possibility, etc.

She needs to talk to her doctor rather than people on a message board. Each pregnancy is different.
Well...obviously we plan to consult with her physician too. That’s sort of a “no brainer”. I was just hoping for others experiences. Thanks for chiming in.

I’m a WDW local and I’m currently 8 months pregnant. I go on pretty much everything without a height requirement except for the Safari. It’s just too long, too hot, too bumpy, and actually has a pregnancy warning.

The only ride that I go on that does have a height requirement is Soarin as it doesn’t have a pregnancy warning. Pretty much every other ride with a height requirement also has a pregnancy warning.

A few tips: Take it easy with lots of breaks and don’t hesitate to use a wheelchair/ECV if she gets tired. Drink lots of water, available free at all QS restaurants. Bring plenty of snacks and at least 2 pairs of shoes. There is nothing better than having fresh socks in the middle of the day.

Great advice. Thank you so much!!! I’m wondering if Rise of the Resistance will be possible?

We went in December of 2017 and my wife was 5 months pregnant. We didn’t too much in AK due to all the walking and the bumpy rides. Basically stuck to all the kiddie rides and took plenty of breaks. It was really hot when we were there any wife was getting awful headaches.

@michelleiada our last trip I was 5 months along. The rides Disney okays are anything without a height requirement EXCEPT safari and PLUS soarin. I did not do soarin (don’t like heights) but all of the kiddie rides were fine. Some notes-
Frozen has a drop which is fine but she will want to brace her stomach beforehand as it can be a little jarring.
Winnie the Pooh was uncomfortable with the bouncing.

Disney lists ROTR as pregnant mothers should NOT ride.

She should just follow the guidelines set by Disney - avoid all rides with the warning that expectant mothers should not ride.

I went on everything that didn’t have an expectant mothers restriction. Was at WDW early in my pregnancy (around 12 weeks) and Disneyland at about 28ish weeks.

On Disney’s website, you can filter the attractions list and show all rides with an expectant mothers advisory. Here is the current filtered list of rides expectant mothers should not go on at WDW.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/#/expectant-mothers/

I did my very first trip to WDW when I was about 7.5 months pregnant with my second child. I went on all the rides without height requirements - which did include Kilimanjaro Safaris for me, plus Soarin'. The safari is definitely bumpy but I was able to brace myself to lessen the impact plus it moves slowly so I didn't find it overly jerky. Obviously do whatever you feel most comfortable with! We had a great trip but it was even better when we went back afterwards and I was able to ride all the big rides! ;)

I went when I was about 5.5 months pregnant.

First, check the app or signs outside of each ride. Disney has a few that are not recommended for expecting moms. Keep in mind, many of the warnings are not necessarily for the ride itself but if there is an emergency stop. So I expect there will be a few people that will chime in on this thread saying "that ride was fine for me!" and that's great but your daughter will need to decide if it's worth the risk. My personal view is "why risk it?" but I know others feel differently.

Second, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Disney involves so much walking, more than we realize sometimes. So she should expect to take more breaks and keep drinking water. Disney has tons of air conditioned stores, restaurants, it's really not hard to find a quick spot for a breather. She can also use the baby stations to sit in and rest if she'd like but be prepared for it to be full of lots of little kids.

I had a great time when I went. Just go in with the expectation that you'll move a bit slower and not do everything BUT I had fun imagining what I would do the next time I went with my kiddo :)

I went to WDW when I was 6.5 months pregnant with DS. I did the same as some others on here have mentioned - basically avoided anything with a height requirement, with the exception of Soarin, as it is very gentle. I also did ride the Safari - the CM at the loading area was not very happy about it, but I actually did not find it to be very bumpy at all. Maybe I'm just too used to driving over our snow covered roads here at home, lol!

The biggest issues for me were the time on my feet, and the heat. We were there in June, and it was brutal, even though we took a break in the room every afternoon. I also have rheumatoid arthritis, and couldn't be on my meds while pregnant, so my feet were in pretty rough shape. We were there with my ILs on that trip, and they actually encouraged me to get a wheelchair. DH thought that was silly, and I was far too stubborn. But afterwards, I realized I probably should have just done it anyway, it would have made the trip more enjoyable. (Still had a great time, but would have suffered a lot less!)

Obviously it's worth checking with your doctor, but remember that they are people too, with their own biases. Ask 10 doctors the same question, you may get 10 different answers. So, consider their opinion, but your own knowledge and common sense counts for something too.

I’m currently 26 weeks pregnant (in my 6th month). We live an hour from Disney and I would never consider using a wheelchair at this stage. We’re actually going next weekend. I regularly get 10,000 steps or more per day though so walking around disney isn’t bad. I think it depends on how she will be carrying the baby, how much she gains in that amount of time, if she feels sick at all, and if she stays active.

Last edited:
I went to Disney around 4-5 months pregnant and used my own judgement since I'd ridden everything many times and knew what they felt like.

Some rides I skipped: Star Tours, RnR Coaster, Tower of Terror, Slinky Dog, Test Track, Mission Space

Some rides I did: Splash Mountain, Safari (I requested the front row), Soarin

I think my biggest worry would be placenta abruption from bumpy rides, rides with drops, even if small I. E. Pirates and probably spinning i. E teacups. Other than that have fun!

I think my biggest worry would be placenta abruption from bumpy rides, rides with drops, even if small I. E. Pirates and probably spinning i. E teacups. Other than that have fun!
We ride tea cups but make sure our cup doesn’t spin. I’ve been on both pirates and frozen but I do hold my stomach just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter