Prepaid USD Visa/Mastercards

JaycenDisney

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!!! I`m planning on returning to WDW for a visit in 2021, and instead of carrying cash on hand I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Prepaid USD Visa/Mastercards? Have you ever tried this option? If so, and it works well do you purchase them from department stores like Walmart or Target??

Are you planning on staying on property? If so you may want to think about putting your cash onto Disney Gift Cards instead. I haven't used a prepaid CC at Disney so I'm not much help there.

If you just need spending money for inside WDW, I would buy discounted Disney gift cards for this purpose. Prepaid Visas have fees on them. If you're staying on site, you can just charge everything with your magic band back to your room account. There's also a chance for those to get hacked and you won't have protection like you would with your regular Visa.

Hi everyone!!! I`m planning on returning to WDW for a visit in 2021, and instead of carrying cash on hand I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Prepaid USD Visa/Mastercards? Have you ever tried this option? If so, and it works well do you purchase them from department stores like Walmart or Target??

Hi
It has been a few years since I've used them. One of the problems I had was say the bill came to $56.49 and I had $55.00 left on the card I would need to know that exact amount or the card would be declined. So you have to keep a running total of the card balance at all times.
The fee to activate them is a pain also.
I now buy Disney gift cards and register them online and just keep adding a bit each week.

However not all stores in Downtown Disney (Disney Springs) Take Disney Gift Cards.

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:

Im from Ireland and have been using a pre paid Master Card POST FX card for the last 10 when I travel to USA. I bring half cash and half on the pre paid card.

I have never had any issues with it and I find it a great way to save as I can add money to it through out the year. The card I have is just as safe as a regular Visa / Mastercard. The cards are issued by the Irish Post office. When I got it I had to show photo ID passport and my Irish social security number.

My purse was stolen her in Ireland and the POST FX cards was one of the bank cards I had to replace. It was just the same procedure as with my regular Visa card. I called the number and explained my card was stolen. They put a block on the stolen card, issued a new card and transferred the money on the card to the new card.

If you just need spending money for inside WDW, I would buy discounted Disney gift cards for this purpose. Prepaid Visas have fees on them. If you're staying on site, you can just charge everything with your magic band back to your room account. There's also a chance for those to get hacked and you won't have protection like you would with your regular Visa.

Hi
Just wondering if she charged everything back to her room(Magic Band) and then could she pay the bill with the prepaid Visa /Mastercard?
Just a thought.
Regards
Mel

Have you checked with your bank in case they have a USD visa or mastercard? I know the BMO one is free if you spend $1000 a year. You could get that for the year you're travelling and then cancel it. Other banks probably have similar deals.

I don't like paying a fee for a prepaid card. I get why there's a fee, but I remember there being something about a monthly fee on them and people finding nothing left when they finally used it. That could have changed, though.

What happens if you just use your debit card?

I’ve done both Disney and prepaid visa/MasterCard. (Edited to add mine were CAD so maybe the USD ones are easier to use) The Disney gift cards were perfect and I liked that I could control the balances on the website (especially since we lost one of our gift cards!) The prepaid Visa card gave us grief at the resort. The front desk didn’t want to let us use them to pay down our balances and told us to use them to go buy Disney gift cards from the gift shop. Of course the gift shop wouldn’t let us use them to but the Disney cards so we were stuck with them. I’m not sure why so much grief but I’ll only ever use Disney cards again to save the hassle. Plus no extra fees on the Disney cards.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter