prescription masks at DC

georgina

DIS Veteran
It says on the DC website that they have prescription swim masks. Has anyone used these? My son wears glasses and I'm worried about him not being able to see clearly with a regular mask. Has anyone worn glasses for the dolphin swim, or do you need to wear the mask for that?

Unless he is VERY shortsighted he should be OK for the dolphin swim even without a prescription mask as the water helps to correct things a little. I've used a prescription mask and also goggles before and although not at DC, I found them fine for the task. They will not be as exact as his own glasses/lenses are but the efect of the water will mean they will do the job of helping him to see much more clearly.

I would suggest calling ahead to DC and telling him the strength of his current lenses and asking if they think he'll need a special mask of if the naked eye will be good enough. If they suggest the mask then you could ask they hold one for him or make sure you get there very early. Again check on wearing your own glasses, but you'll get a much better view with a mask, it may be ok if they can be secured. The dolphins are inquisitive and if they see something new in their environment ( i.e. his glasses)they may like to see if it can be eaten or played with. For choice, I'd go with a mask.

Thanks, Vernon! I will check with his eye doctor to get his current prescription, and call the DC to see what they say.

I had just emailed DC last week concerning this same thing. They wrote back that for a $75 deposit you can use their prescrip. masks. The mask prescrips are strengths 1-9 either way (far/near) so it should be easy to find the right one. I'm still trying to figure out some way so my husband can keep his regular glasses with him while swimming with the mask but then be able to put them on right at the aviary. I have had a couple of questions emailed to DC and they've been great at quickly responding. In case anyone's interested...yes, you can snorkel ok with braces on your teeth!

ECLPZ314, when are you going? We're going July 26. If you're going after us, I can let you know how the mask/glasses thing worked out. I had never thought about the braces issue before!

We'll be at RPR July 19th-26th and do DC on the 21st. If I can access these boards while I'm down there I'll let you know how the mask works out....and how my son does with the snorkel and braces! I've been trying to cover all the bases with this trip to make it perfect! There's been so much useful info on these boards. I'm glad to be able to post something to help someone else.

Thanks for the offer, we'll be arriving at Fort Wilderness on the 20th, so I won't have a chance to see your report. Have a great time!

I bought some prescription goggles from this site that I absolutely love. The quality is good, and best of all the price is only $19.95 plus $5 s&h. Aquagoggles

Thanks for the information. Will they let you bring your own to DC? I have been talking to several people who seem to think prescription goggles won't be necessary, that their vision in the water is much better than in air, so we're going to try without them.

I had no problem when I brought my own. I am very nearsighted, so my vision in the water is still very poor. Good luck whichever way you choose to go. :)

For a day costing close on $1,000 to spend $20 for some goggles so you can be confident you enjoy the day seems like a worthwhile expediature to me.

Are aquagoggles for real and are they good?? It sounds too good to be true and I am always afraid that people post things on message boards because they are trying to sell their own company. It would be great for my son who has trouble at the beach and public pools, he would be able to spot his friends! Problem is the eye doctor appt is 8/14 and he is headed for his beach vacation on the 20th. Might not be enough time. I wonder where else they sell these? Thanks for the info though.

I bought mine through a swimclub magazine ( my DD was in the swim team) but that was in the UK.
I think you should be able to use this US site, but I can't give a personal recommendation for this particular company as I haven't used them

http://www.the-swim-store.com look under speedo googles and there are optical goggles in that section

Originally posted by cindywhitall
Are aquagoggles for real and are they good?? It sounds too good to be true and I am always afraid that people post things on message boards because they are trying to sell their own company. It would be great for my son who has trouble at the beach and public pools, he would be able to spot his friends! Problem is the eye doctor appt is 8/14 and he is headed for his beach vacation on the 20th. Might not be enough time. I wonder where else they sell these? Thanks for the info though.

LOL, I don't blame you for being leary. I promise you, that I have NO affiliation with Aquagoggle. The site is actually in Canada, and I live in Alabama... I don't even know the owner of the company. I was just impressed at how quick I received the product, how cheap it was, and how good the quality was... I was in the same situation - I needed my goggles in a week for a vacation, and my local optical shops couldn't provide them that quick (plus they were around $100.00). I called the company, and they sent them out UPS Air. I had them in about 3 days. My goggles are now almost 2 years old, and I have no leakage problems, and I'm still using my original strap (I purchased an extra strap when I bought the goggles, and haven't needed it yet). I've paid a lot more for prescription goggles in the past that were pieces of junk. I'm sure you will find prescription goggles somewhere locally if you look around though. Good luck!

Just to let you know, we went to DC on July 21st. My husband tried on the prescription masks that they had and said "none even came close" to what he needed. He didn't swim that much anyway so it was ok. I think the goggles you are talking about would work ok, but they don't cover your nose too, do they? I know I found it difficult to get used to breathing thru the snorkel while wearing the mask but I probably would've inhaled a lot of water with just goggles.

We were ther on the 26th. DH used the prescription goggles provided by DC successfully. DS was fine with just the regular mask. We had a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter