Pretty Sure They Created a New Festival Just For Us - 2 week Jan DR *COMPLETE

Your Ohana meal review made me doubt about it. We've dined there 4 times total and each time, I didn't like it much. I just felt like it wasn't worth all the hype. However, we haven't been back in 3 years or so. Maybe it's time to give Ohana a try again.

W

Rob got the Shanghai Xiaolongbao Soup Dumpling. Steamed Shanghai-style pork soup dumpling served with our house dipping sauce.

He loved these and really liked the tangy sauce that they were served with.

I loved these when we lived in NJ and could easily get them in Cherry Hill and the Reading Market among other places. I now live in FL and soup dumplings didn't exist here except in Trader Joe's freezer section. I am so happy that I can get them in Epcot and that they were good!!

Congratulations on your graduation! I still can't believe you were in NH! I live about 15 minutes from Manchester :)
Homecoming's chicken looks so good. I had the pulled pork platter when we were there, but I am going to try the chicken in November! Ohana is always a delicious must do!! Those enchiladas look so good too...only if my husband liked Mexican enough to go :(

For months before our trip I tried to get an ADR for 'Ohana with no luck. I tried almost every day. Then two days before this I was looking for a place to eat on this night and wouldn't you know, up pops an 'Ohana reservation just before Wishes. Yes! Same thing happened last time we ate here too. we got them the day of. I think I will try that route from now on when it comes to 'Ohana.

After a nice long nap at the resort we got changed and ready for dinner. We took the bus to MK and then the monorail to Poly.

We got there about 25 minutes early for our 7:50 ADR and checked in. I requested a table by the window if possible so that I could see Wishes. We walked around with our pager and took in the lobby. I miss the fountain, but I do love the new lobby.

And because I'm a child I always have to get this photo.

We were seated pretty quickly and were taken to a massive table for 6 right by the window. This picture is garbage because I couldn't get my camera to take a good photo, but you can kinda see a blue thing in the center, which is the castle.

We started with the Pineapple Coconut Bread.

I didn't love this the last time we were here, but this time I loved it! I could really taste the pineapple and the coconut throughout the bread and it was so fresh. We must have had an off batch last time.

Same thing could be said for the salad. I didn't care for this last time, but this time I tore it up! I think it was lacking any dressing last time, but this time I could taste it for sure. Loved it!

Next I let Rob have all the wings while I ate a ton of dumplings dipped in the duck sauce, noodles and veggies and asked for more. They were excellent!

Rob and I both ate quite a few shrimp. They were smokey and delicious.

The steak was good, but a little fatty with the first batch they brought us, but had no fat on the second round. The chicken was great and was even better dipped in the peanut sauce.

At this point Wishes started. It took a minute for the light to dim and the sound to kick in, but fortunately it did come on. Little did I know that would be my last viewing ever for Wishes. :sad:

Then it was time for the best dessert on the planet. Oh how I love 'Ohana bread pudding.

Happiness in a bowl!

What a meal! This was our best experience yet here at 'Ohana. I know this place gets mixed reviews, but I'm sold. I never feel rushed and the food is excellent. Even when something is off, like the bread and salad last time, there is always something else to make up for it. I plan on coming back again on our next trip. I love it! And I think the price is fairly reasonable for all the food you get. And seeing the fireworks here is a total bonus.

I was somehow not disgustingly full, which was good. I don't know how that's possible but I was glad.

Had to stop for a tiki selfie before we left.

We walked outside and caught a bus to Disney Springs just as it was pulling up. Score!

When we got to DS we had enough time to catch a late night movie. Why not!

We saw The Founder with Michael Keaton, which was pretty good.

By the time the movie let out the boat was no longer running, so we had to take a super full bus back to POFQ. Thank goodness it's not a long ride!

First time at Festival of the Arts, a long nap, a great 'Ohana meal, Wishes and a movie. A perfect Disney day!

I have always wanted to try Ohana. I'm going to have to go with someone besides family to try it though - they are too picky. I do think we will try for a breakfast there this next trip, but that's not the same. Sad about Wishes (though what a place to see them for the last time!) but I do LOVE the new show!

So fun! I loved feeling like a part of the festival. This was such a cool idea.

And you get a postcard of the painting once you are done.

When we were there, they were not giving out postcards. Smart..

And the magnet I chose.

I had totally wanted to do this, and I totally forgot about it! Oh well.

I had a few bites of this and it was to die for. I won't lie. I have thought about this burger a few times.
This looks to die for!

Your Ohana dinner makes so hungry! It all looks so good. I am so glad I was able to get a reservation when we go again!

I agree with your thoughts on Ohana. I love it! I could even fill up on the bread, salad, and noodles alone!

Festival of the Arts looks like a lot of fun. Not sure if it's in the cards for us in 2018, but I'd really like to check it out sometime!

Congrats on your graduation, awesome feeling for sure.

The Festival of Arts was just ending when we arrived so just saw a few things, we didn't try any of the food. The almond cake looks really tasty and the scallop dish is something I would really enjoy!

Thanks for the menu shot at POFQ, we will be staying there in November and haven't been since 2013. Nice to see the Coke freestyle machines.

We tried Ohana last October and we really enjoyed it. The bread pudding is so delicious, I wish I had some right now. We definitely want to go again.

All your pics of the art festival have me wanting to take a trip in Jan, looks like so much fun!! Ohana looks delicious as always. I hope we can eat there in September. Last minute ressies normally pop up.

Here I got the Choriqueso Taco served with Chihuahua Cheese, Red and Green Peppers over a Corn Tortilla garnished with Poblano Peppers and Micro Cilantro.

I need this taco in my life! One day I am going to get to Epcot during the festivals when I can actually browse and snack.

We both got the Pan-seared Scallop with Chorizo, Roasted Red Pepper Coulis, and a Parmesan Crisp.
Scallops are possibly my favourite food and this looks amazing!

We both got the Triple Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Crunch, Dark Chocolate Sauce and Gold Leaf.

Yum, yum, yum.......triple chocolate anything has to be on my list!

I didn't love this the last time we were here, but this time I loved it! I could really taste the pineapple and the coconut throughout the bread and it was so fresh. We must have had an off batch last time.

I love that bread too....O'hana is a must do for our family. I'm not eating there on my solo trip this summer but I am definitely going to pop in to Tambu for dessert!

Same thing could be said for the salad. I didn't care for this last time, but this time I tore it up! I think it was lacking any dressing last time, but this time I could taste it for sure. Loved it!

I think I ate that entire bowl of salad myself on our last meal at O'hana......mmmmm!

Then it was time for the best dessert on the planet. Oh how I love 'Ohana bread pudding.

It IS the best dessert on the planet. I got the recipe and make it at home when I am feeling homesick for Disney.

Last, but certainly not least CONGRATULATIONS on your graduation! What a terrific accomplishment.:)

Your Ohana meal review made me doubt about it. We've dined there 4 times total and each time, I didn't like it much. I just felt like it wasn't worth all the hype. However, we haven't been back in 3 years or so. Maybe it's time to give Ohana a try again.

I feel like it really hasn't changed a lot over time here, but they can have an off night and it seems like you have done your due diligence and given it plenty of chances. It may just be one of those things that just isn't up your alley. There's plenty of those for me. Some people have a love of places in WDW that I will never understand unfortunately lol.

I loved these when we lived in NJ and could easily get them in Cherry Hill and the Reading Market among other places. I now live in FL and soup dumplings didn't exist here except in Trader Joe's freezer section. I am so happy that I can get them in Epcot and that they were good!!

Interesting to know those can be purchased at Trader Joe's too. I need to go there. I hope you get a chance to try Nine Dragons though!

Congratulations on your graduation! I still can't believe you were in NH! I live about 15 minutes from Manchester :)
Homecoming's chicken looks so good. I had the pulled pork platter when we were there, but I am going to try the chicken in November! Ohana is always a delicious must do!! Those enchiladas look so good too...only if my husband liked Mexican enough to go :(

Thank you so much! Small world right?! I can't decide if I like the chicken or the pork more at Homecomin'. They are both so good! I'm sorry your hubby isn't big on Mexican food. Doesn't he know enchiladas are basically a food group? :laughing:

I have always wanted to try Ohana. I'm going to have to go with someone besides family to try it though - they are too picky. I do think we will try for a breakfast there this next trip, but that's not the same. Sad about Wishes (though what a place to see them for the last time!) but I do LOVE the new show!

I hope you get to try 'Ohana sometime soon. I haven't done breakfast there in 11 years, but I remember it being good. I am so sad about Wishes too. I needed to mentally prepare to see it for the last time. I am definitely excited to see the new show though.

When we were there, they were not giving out postcards. Smart..

I had totally wanted to do this, and I totally forgot about it! Oh well.

This looks to die for!

Your Ohana dinner makes so hungry! It all looks so good. I am so glad I was able to get a reservation when we go again!

Too bad you didn't get a postcard. It's rare to get a free Disney souvenir. :laughing:

Hopefully they will bring it back and you'll still get a chance to do it on a future trip. I was so glad that it was easier than the egg hunt cause that almost killed me lol.

OMG that burger was good!

Yay for an 'Ohana ressie! It's so hard to get. Crazy.

I agree with your thoughts on Ohana. I love it! I could even fill up on the bread, salad, and noodles alone!

Festival of the Arts looks like a lot of fun. Not sure if it's in the cards for us in 2018, but I'd really like to check it out sometime!

I'm glad you agree! I could fill up on that too! I don't even need any of the protein options to be honest. I could fill up on sides alone.

Hopefully it's around for years to come. I have a feeling they probably had some take aways from this year to make it even better in the future.

Congrats on your graduation, awesome feeling for sure.

The Festival of Arts was just ending when we arrived so just saw a few things, we didn't try any of the food. The almond cake looks really tasty and the scallop dish is something I would really enjoy!

Thanks for the menu shot at POFQ, we will be staying there in November and haven't been since 2013. Nice to see the Coke freestyle machines.

We tried Ohana last October and we really enjoyed it. The bread pudding is so delicious, I wish I had some right now. We definitely want to go again.

Thank you so much!

Too bad you didn't get to try any of the food. It's a lot to fit in to any trip though. There's too much good food everywhere you look!

Awesome! It had been about that long for us too. It's definitely our favorite Moderate Resort. The food court was excellent and you can't beat having a Freestyle machine at your disposal!

Glad you enjoyed 'Ohana too! The bread pudding is such a treat to be sure.

All your pics of the art festival have me wanting to take a trip in Jan, looks like so much fun!! Ohana looks delicious as always. I hope we can eat there in September. Last minute ressies normally pop up.

Yes! We will be back in January. Just saying...

I need this taco in my life! One day I am going to get to Epcot during the festivals when I can actually browse and snack.

Scallops are possibly my favourite food and this looks amazing!

Yum, yum, yum.......triple chocolate anything has to be on my list!

I love that bread too....O'hana is a must do for our family. I'm not eating there on my solo trip this summer but I am definitely going to pop in to Tambu for dessert!

I think I ate that entire bowl of salad myself on our last meal at O'hana......mmmmm!

It IS the best dessert on the planet. I got the recipe and make it at home when I am feeling homesick for Disney.

Last, but certainly not least CONGRATULATIONS on your graduation! What a terrific accomplishment.:)

Tacos are life! It's hard to eat at Epcot restaurants when it has the best snacking opportunities.

Rob is suddenly obsessed with scallops. He orders them everywhere all of a sudden. These were delicious!

:laughing: Right?!

Yes! Definitely hit up Tambu. It's great that you can get the bread pudding there and some other yummy options and drinks.

I don't blame you! I loved the dressing.

Oh yum! I think it would be dangerous if I figured out how to make that at home.

Thank you so much! I am so thrilled! Now I'm deciding how much of a break to take before moving on to the master's program. We shall see.

The next morning we got a way later start than I wanted to thanks to our late night movie the night before. We didn't get to HS until 9:45am and the line for RNRC was already 45 minutes and ToT was 85 minutes. :eek: Well, so much for some walk on ride plans.

We did manage to pretty much walk on Great Movie Ride and we got the cowboy scene for the first time in ages, so that was plus. Then we did Star Tours once with no FP and once with a FP. I can't wait for the new Star Wars area to open!

Then we used a FP at TSMM.

I am going to beat him this time!!!

Or not. :rotfl:

Loved the giant Beauty and the Beast billboard. Needless to say I have been OBSESSED with this movie.

Then it was time for our early ressie at Sci-Fi!

Having imaginary road rage in the fake car. :laughing:

Okay, I'll be nice.

We checked in and were only seated the waiting area for a moment before we were seated.

We were seated in the back of one of the cars behind a family of 4 that were in the first two rows.

Rob started with a Cherry Coke which he always enjoys here because of the legit cherry syrup.

I usually get a Vanilla Coke here for the same reason, but I really wanted a milkshake and that coupled with a soda would have been a sugar overload. I'm glad I went with the shake. It really hit the spot.

Rob ordered the Spicy Buffalo Popcorn Chicken to start.

He insisted I eat some too and they were good. There was a ton of buffalo sauce on them. Like, a ton.

For our entrees Rob went with the Sci-Fi Angus Burger topped with pulled pork, Sriracha barbecue sauce, swiss cheese, and pickled apple slaw. He enjoyed it, but pulled some of the slaw off.

I got the Build Your Own burger with cheddar, lettuce, tomato, bacon, onion rings and BBQ sauce, but they forgot the onion rings. I didn't really care enough to say anything to the server especially since I didn't realize until I was a few bites into the burger.

This burger was decent. I didn't quite care for the bun though, so I removed it and ate my burger with a knife and fork part way through.

Overall Sci-Fi was decent. I really liked our server. She was super friendly. The food was good, but not terribly memorable. I love the atmosphere here, but I really wish they would change up the film reel here. It's been the same for at least 15 years. A change of clips would make a world of difference. While we did have a good meal overall, this place is no longer a must-do for us. In fact, I think this will be off our radar again for at least a couple of trips, just like it had been prior to this trip. HS needs to step up their food options. Hopefully there will be some great options opening as the new lands open.

Thanks to the total lack of things to do at this park it was packed here and nothing was a walk-on, so we left the park to make a movie at Disney Springs. HS is so not my jam right now as you can tell. As luck would have it a bus to POFQ was pulling up just as we walked up. Woot!

From POFQ we took the boat to DS. It was a really nice day today. So many beautiful weather days this trip.

We stopped at Dockside Margarita for some drinks to sip as we strolled DS.

Rob got an Orange Grove Rum Runner. Siesta Key spiced rum, blackberry brandy, creme de banana, and Florida citrus juices with a float of Gosling's 151 rum. And I got a Florida Citrus Freeze. Florida cane 'Orlando Orange' vodka and peach schnapps blended with orange puree.

Cheers!!!

Then we made our way to the movies. Our first movie was Split, which was way better than I thought it would be. I swore I would never see another M. Night Shyamalan movie after The Visit, but I'm glad we saw this.

Then we immediately went into another movie. Double feature! I already saw Moana the weekend it opened, but Rob didn't see it with me and I wanted to see it again, so Moana it is!

After the movie we still weren't hungry for dinner, so we went back to POFQ by boat. We saw a gorgeous sunset again. Love DS sunsets!

We hung out at the room for a bit trying to decide what to do for dinner. We didn't feel like going back to DS again and the thought of taking a bus to a park and then getting to a resort for a dinner somewhere didn't sound appealing either. It was feeling like a lazy night. Food court it is!

We went over and got our dinner at Sassagoula and brought it back to the room.

Rob got the Shrimp Po'Boy with fries which he really liked.

I did the build your own pasta again and stuck to my penne shrimp alfredo. This was definitely really good again.

We ate in bed while watching Titanic.

I love having a lazy moment on vacation every so often. We called it a night pretty early. Big day tomorrow!

Sooooo, apparently I just gave up on notes as of today and so my memory is a little hazy on some of the finer points moving forward, but I've got this!

The next day we were up and ready for Epcot at park opening. The weather was supposed to be rainy and ick today, so I wanted to get in some park time while the rain was holding out. After a ride on Living with the Land and Soarin' I hit up some of the Festival of the Arts stands for 'breakfast.'

First I had to have the Almond Frangipane Cake again. Just as good the second time!

Then I had the Pop't Art Modern-designed Sugar Cookie with Chocolate-Hazlenut Filling. This was good. It was super sweet and had tons of frosting, but that certainly isn't a bad thing.

Then finally I went back to the booth in Mexico and had Flank Steak Guarache served with Black Beans, Salsa de Chile de Arbol, Frisee Lettuce, Queso Fresco, Red Cabbage, shredded Carrots and Chipotle Mayo.

I LOVED THIS! It was so full of flavor. I am mad that Rob never tried this. It was not easy to eat, but it was worth the mess I made. Mexico is always a winner. Always.

After a stroll around WS we made our way to our lunch location. Rose & Crown.

They initially tried to seat us outside, but Rob is not big on eating outside, so we asked for a spot inside which was quickly accommodated.

First on the agenda was drinks!

Rob got a Black & Tan and I got a Cider & Black. Cider with a shot of Black Currant Juice. Yummy!

Rob started with an appetizer. He had been waiting for today just for this. The Scotch Egg. Golden-fried Hard-boiled Egg wrapped in Sausage with Mustard Sauce.

He loved it as always. I had done some snacking, so no app for me.

For our entrees Rob went with one of my favorites, the Shepherd's Pie. Ground lamb, seasonal vegetables, English peas, mashed potatoes and McCall's Irish cheddar.

He really enjoyed it. I love this dish, but I make this at home all the time, so I have a hard time ordering it and I already got it at RR this trip.

I swore I wouldn't get the Fish and Chips cause all that fried food is too hard on my stomach, but what did I do... I ordered the Fish and Chips. I made Rob promise to stop me if I tried to order it. He failed. :laughing:

It was so good, but Lord is it heavy. I was so full I thought I would burst. I was so uncomfortably full. Ughhh why do I do these things to myself?

After lunch we decided to head on out of the park. We stopped to ride Spaceship Earth on the way out.

Then I tried to get a pic, but the wind had picked up and it kept blowing in poor Rob's face. I love this photo. :love:

After we got back to the resort we decided that now would be a good time to do laundry. Rob never brings enough clothes. Never. And I actually did bring enough, but it had been warmer than I anticipated and all of my sweaters and hoodies had gone unworn, so I needed some short sleeved shirts to last me the rest of the week if the weather stayed as warm as it was. And usually I get tasked with laundry, but Rob didn't mind waiting in the laundry room since he had his PSVita to play and he wanted to get some gaming in. Works for me!

I love the Louisiana gators near the laundry room.

After we got the laundry all set in the washers and Rob settled in I went to the pool for the first and only time of the trip.

It hadn't been super warm this trip, so we hadn't done the pool. It was just warm enough to get in and swim around for a few today. Around the time that the laundry was done a storm started to roll in and so I went back to wait with Rob.

With our laundry done we went back to the room. I love the outdoor walkways at POFQ.

It was now super stormy and thunder storming, so it was looking like another night at Sassagoula for us.

We both wanted pizza, but didn't want the same pizza so we got our own. This was a mistake. The pizzas were HUGE! I don't even want to talk about how much of this pizza was wasted.

I went with pepperoni.

I remember resort pizza being nasty when I had it years ago at All-Star Music, but I was craving pizza so I gave it a shot. And guess what? I loved it! It was actually really good.

Rob got the Cajun Bayou Pizza with blackened chicken and smoked Andouille sausage.

He loved this pizza! And as a bonus we watched it while the Pats were playing. And winning!

We also got desserts. I got a King Cake, which was sadly babyless in case you were wondering. :laughing: It was however, super moist and delicious and was way better than I thought it would be.

Rob got a dessert shooter, which I could not get a good pic of to save my life, and a cheesecake tart. He liked them but they were super small.

Also, while I didn't have any tonight I did get some British treats at Epcot today which I enjoyed back at home. My two favs, Jammie Dodgers and Cadbury Digestives. Yum!!!!

This was kind of a weird day and we didn't do a lot, but we did still have a fun time at Epcot and we got laundry accomplished and we had fun running for food in the rain. And I mean, pizza and a Pats playoff win is amazing too. Don't hate! :laughing:

We have always loved Sci-fi but I agree a new reel of clips would be welcomed! I love the Scottish egg at R&C and the fish and chips, both great choices.

The food court build your own pasta is always good, we have had it at POR, is it new at FQ now?

It is always nice to have some lazy days at Disney, it can be exhausting lol!

I've enjoyed several of your reports and this is no different, but those nails?! Too, too, so very cute! I'm not brave about my nail colors.

digestives are life! Agreed with whoever said you two look like you always have a blast together! Love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter