Princess dresses in the park

corgi_monster

DIS Veteran
My 2yo is in the princess dress phase. I’m just curious how feasible it is to allow her to wear her princess dresses all day in the parks. We will be there in January so heat shouldn’t be an issue. Do most kids eventually get tired of the fluffy skirts and want to change back into play clothes? I don’t really care what she wears so long as she’s comfortable.

I’ve also been looking into Disney bounding for toddlers but haven’t seen too many examples that I like. Can anyone suggest a website featuring different looks?

Bring more than one! I have twins and one went through a princess dress phase during a week long stay. Luckily the other wasn't into it and I could have the other one wear her dress halfway through the week as it got pretty dirty and a bit torn.

I would go with a tutu in that Princess' style, and a nice matching top more so than an actual full-out costume. They are hot, they are itchy, they will get dirty, they don't allow much movement...

I am so glad my DD isn't a Princess kind of girl! She was all about Buzz Lightyear and the Classic Disney characters... We met Ariel in her Grotto because Mommy wanted to, LOL

My DD has asked to wear her princess dresses in the parks. I'm going to have her wear shorts under them and just put a shirt in my bag so she can change when she gets tired of it.

I have seen some really cute every day dresses done in the style of each princess. I don't know an exact seller, but I have seen them on Pinterest (if you can sew) and Etsy. They are usually a tank or tee with a basic skirt, nothing too poofy or frilly. search "everyday princess dress"

My dd was four in March when we went and she didn't want to wear her dresses except to meet princesses and she is a huge dress up fan so I was a bit surprised, but I took one to the parks every day, just in case she changed her mind and wanted to wear one once we were there.

If your 2 year old is anything like mine were, they like the dresses for maybe 30 minutes and then find them too itchy, hot.....the list of complaints goes on. If you think she'll really want to wear one then put it over regular clothes or buy princess dresses made from softer fabric than what you get from the Disney store

A lot of kids do it, but I would stuff an extra shirt and shorts for her in your day bag just in case. A princess t-shirt with a skort might be more comfortable.

We love the ones from momapprovedcostumes.com and you can also find short day dress ones occasionally on Jane. I think Presley couture is the designer. These options are both much more park friendly than the tulle-heavy traditional dresses. I for one don’t want to be carrying around an outfit change.

I got my girls princess sundresses for our last trip and they loved them. They got Snow White, Ariel, Elena, Tink, Minnie and Mickey. My 3 yr old wore one everyday, all day. I got them from Aliexpress for around $9 each. They took about a month to come in but they were really nice and you can’t beat the price.

We went during winter too and my daughter wore a princess dress almost everyday. She had clothes underneath so when she got tired of the dress we just took it off.

When we went in May, my 3 year old DD wore bike shorts and a tee under her tinkerbell costume. (She needed the tee for sun protection, as the costume only had spaghetti straps.) She wore the costume for most of the day, but for the last hour or so of touring I think she ended up taking it off.

Here are a few sites / options to consider.

PRACTICAL BOUTIQUE COLLECTION (one example linked, they have other dresses in the collection too)

BLUE CINDERELLA PRINCESS TUTU with headband and necklace

Playground princess on adorable essentials

My favorite site is probably https://www.littledressupshop.com. Like the "mom approved costumes" site, they focus on comfortable costumes. They have a lot to choose from!

Every child is different, when our DDs wanted to wear a princess dress, they wore it all day and night. Like a PP, they would wear shorts under it and we brought a top just in case.

When we went in early October with our 6 year old --- she wore them to the evening dinners in the park and would keep them on for the rest of the night. At the parks during the day she wanted to be in shorts and tees.

Our DDs kept the princess dresses on last Friday from about 4p-midnight. ODD had a huge & heavy Belle dress. It was very hot and humid. I asked her if she wanted to change and she didn't.

They also put them back on the next morning also for breakfast at CRT.

I'd have a change of clothes just in case. Don't want to ruin a day in Disney over it either way.

I would just toss a change of clothes in your park bag. That way if she changes her mind part way through the day she can change. We are going on Halloween and I will have spare clothes for all the kids just in case.

I got my girls princess sundresses for our last trip and they loved them. They got Snow White, Ariel, Elena, Tink, Minnie and Mickey. My 3 yr old wore one everyday, all day. I got them from Aliexpress for around $9 each. They took about a month to come in but they were really nice and you can’t beat the price.

This was going to be suggestion as well. They're cute, comfy, and cheap. They have a few in adult sizes, too, if you wanted to match one day.

Thank you for all your replies.

Glitter-free dresses - that's brilliant!

I found some princess dresses on sale, so I won't be too crushed if she'll only wear them for an hour or two. We decided to just bring an extra change of clothes to the parks.

I tried ordering a couple of dresses from AliExpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...791.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.20604c4d1fu4V4) Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the quality. The stripes on the sleeve looked like latex paint and crackled easily. Oh well, can't complain for $10!

Thank you for all your replies.

Glitter-free dresses - that's brilliant!

I found some princess dresses on sale, so I won't be too crushed if she'll only wear them for an hour or two. We decided to just bring an extra change of clothes to the parks.

I tried ordering a couple of dresses from AliExpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...791.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.20604c4d1fu4V4) Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the quality. The stripes on the sleeve looked like latex paint and crackled easily. Oh well, can't complain for $10!

I was going to suggest finding sale dresses. I've been at thrift stores and found princess dresses for $4 - who cares if someone else's name is written on the tag? I personally wouldn't bring a $40 princess dress from Shop Disney to wear all over the parks, but if a thrift-store dress gets dirty or ripped, I'm not going to cry.

With the cheap Ailexpress dresses, you only need them to last a day or two. I'd hold off on letting DD wear them at all until she's there, and then if they break down after a day, you've hopefully still gotten some good pictures of your princess in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!