Princess puts names on the door. Is that ok?

jenf22

DIS Veteran
I know this is the Royal part of the Dis, but I thought maybe you guys might have an opinion. Princess is updating their ships to be "Medallion". In doing so, there is a digital display on the room door and it has the names of everyone in the room. Someone on the Princess Cruise Critic site asked if it bothered anyone else. The resounding answer seems to be Princess people are fine with it. I don't really like the idea of my kids name on the door for anyone to see. When we cruised Disney, we had a fish extender and magnets, but he was little then and never without us. Now he's 12 and we let him go out with his friends alone. I don't like the idea of random strangers knowing his name. What do you guys think?
Medallion.jpeg

The names are displayed all of the time or it pops up when you scan your card to open the door?

The names are displayed all of the time or it pops up when you scan your card to open the door?
The original poster said the names were there all the time... full names of every passenger. She said you could walk down the hall and see everyone's names. I guess Princess has always posted the names, but before the Medallion it was on a paper you could just remove if you didn't want it there. It seems weird to me. A hotel would never do that.

I always prefer to be cautious but by 12 y/o I think most children are mature enough to understand “stranger danger” and not talk to someone they don’t recognize, even if that person knows their name. If your son is responsible enough to go off with his friends alone, it shouldn’t be a big deal to have a quick conversation with him and explain your concerns.

Having done the magnet thing before I'm personally not uncomfortable with the idea, but for those that are I'd hope that there's an option to change the display to not show names or go First initial + Surname

It must be because we're kind of at that transitional age where we have to give him some freedom (he's 12). When he was little, we did the magnets and fish extenders too. But he was always with us so I wasn't worried about anyone knowing his name. I don't know, I just thought it was weird. I guess I'm in the minority. They don't put your name on your door at hotels, why would they do it on a cruise ship?

I can’t offer any insight but am curious as a human who likes to travel.

What is the rationale for putting names on doors in the first place? (By any cruise line, be that paper, magnet, or digital display)

It seems odd to me since it’s obviously not done at hotels. I can think of a dozen reasons against names (and I’m not a privacy fanatic) but can’t think of a single reason for names.

I would definitely be concerned about this, even as an adult woman. What if someone got hold of an official looking uniform or approached you, addressed you by name and said, ‘(name), I am xxxx/something official. The Captain has invited you etc, please come with me.’ ?

My vote is that I would not be a fan. While I would not be overly concerned personally, it just doesn’t seem necessary and there is no real function to having names on the door. I would prefer a way to opt out and until that changes will do so by opting to not sail on Princess.

In the grand scheme of things I would not get upset over it, but if asked my preference would be to opt out.
Yeah, I guess that's how I feel overall. We've got Princess booked next summer and it will be a Medallion ship. I was just surprised by the names thing. My kid will be fine. I don't imagine he'll be out much on his own, but he'll be 13 and smart enough not to go with anyone. I guess I'm not crazy about random people knowing my name either. Maybe by next summer you'll be able to opt out. It's a pretty new system.

I agree, travelling by myself, I would not be comfortable having that advertised. However, I should also be aware enough to either ask them to wait outside while I verify with Guest Services or Security since it was unexpected, or to ensure that they do not lead me to anywhere that is not a public space.

I would definitely be concerned about this, even as an adult woman. What if someone got hold of an official looking uniform or approached you, addressed you by name and said, ‘(name), I am xxxx/something official. The Captain has invited you etc, please come with me.’ ?
What if someone did the same, but just left off your name.... "Ma'am, I am somthing official. The Captain has requested to see you, would you please come with me?"

Are they putting the ages or just the names? With just the names, how would you be able to tell who's who anyway?

I would think that the risk would be extremely remote.
Are there a lot of serial rapists, child molesters, murderers booking cruises to find victims? Would knowing the names of people in a certain cabin help in this?

I understand privacy, this just seems a little paranoid.

The chances of something physical happening on the ship are probably very low. My concern is more of personal privacy. In today’s world even a few pieces of personal information are all that is necessary to steal someone’s identification.

“Hello Princess cruises my name is xxxx and I was in cabin xxxx sailing on xxxx dates on the xxxx ship.” There is the script to get the ball rolling to access anyone’s account on Princess cruises. At least with a little vigilance and paying attention to my surroundings I can protect myself and family. With personal info you are at the mercy of others and as we have seen with Target, Equifax etc it only takes one person to slip up and put the whole system at risk.

Last edited:
The chances of something physical happening on the ship are probably very low. My concern is more of personal privacy. In today’s world even a few pieces of personal information are all that is necessary to steal someone’s identification.
Thank you. I've been thinking about it a lot and I agree with you.

I don’t like it for several reasons... including what’s been mentioned already.
I see no reason for it. I’d call the line and ask about an opt out. I personally find that it infringes on my privacy. And for children,
Not reasonable at all.
It may take one incident... and it ll Change. Hope it doesn’t come to that.

I would think that the risk would be extremely remote.
Are there a lot of serial rapists, child molesters, murderers booking cruises to find victims? Would knowing the names of people in a certain cabin help in this?

I understand privacy, this just seems a little paranoid.

Not paranoid at all. Just google it. It has happened before. There was also a CM on DCL who got arrested because he assaulted a child.

Not paranoid at all. Just google it. It has happened before. There was also a CM on DCL who got arrested because he assaulted a child.
CM's could easily find out the name anyhow. I know that assaults and murders have happened on cruise ships. Generally, it is not because a total stranger knew someone's name. It is either an employee (who can probably access your information easily anyhow), someone in the travelling party, or someone met at a bar or something like that.
I think it is paranoid that knowing a name associated with a cabin number would end up in a serious issue.
Many, many people on DCL, for instance, voluntarily put their names on the doors. There are whole threads on the DIS about it and whole Etsy shops devoted to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter