Probably a silly question about buying a DVC using these boards

NickBCV

Mouseketeer
I am surprised that there are not classified ads similar to the rental board for those looking to rent their points out. Is there a reason Dis Boards does not allow posters to ask about available properties or list their properties for sale? Is it because the boards are sponsored by one of the brokers?

thought this could be a good way to get those looking to sell and those looking to buy together for the purpose of selling/buying a contract.

My best bet is it is due to sponsorship. They make money off of ads, I am assuming more when you click on the links and make a purchase then.
There is nothing to be gained by sitting there whole you make a private sale.

My best bet is it is due to sponsorship. They make money off of ads, I am assuming more when you click on the links and make a purchase then.
There is nothing to be gained by sitting there whole you make a private sale.
That was my guess too. Weird thing is they allow rental ads on the boards and one of the big sponsors also has a big rental business so I thought it odd they would allow rental postings but no “for sale” postings.

What's the point of FSBO? That you cut out the middleman so the seller gets more money...and also typically the buyer gets a little better deal as well?

Because DVC has ROFR, if the price goes too low, Disney can take back the contract. So there's little incentive for buyers to buy directly from a seller, as they pay comparable prices while getting none of the protection of using a broker...

I don't think it's that, real estate transactions are generally too complex for most folks to handle on their own. The board owners could easily charge a listing fee for such a listing if they wanted and monetize it that way.

I think getting somewhat directly involved with the buying/selling part of it might not be worth the hassle. There are other timeshare boards that folks can list their interests on for sale, not much DVC over at TUG though, and they do charge to list in their advertising space.

What's the point of FSBO? That you cut out the middleman so the seller gets more money...and also typically the buyer gets a little better deal as well?

Because DVC has ROFR, if the price goes too low, Disney can take back the contract. So there's little incentive for buyers to buy directly from a seller, as they pay comparable prices while getting none of the protection of using a broker...
I suspect that if this was an option more sellers would be willing to list their contracts that they are not interested in any longer. Perhaps the commission is keeping some potential sellers out of the market.

You can always try ebay....... I'm sure all the listings there are legit....
Haha. Well that is the point. Not sure I want an eBay listing but a FSBO listing that allows the buyer to pick an attorney of their choice with DVC sales background seems like a good option.

My experience with brokers has been both good and bad as they are really representing the seller for their commission and I feel like the dialog back and forth while working toward and agreed upon price is not always honest.

Could just be me but I feel confident in my ability to negotiate on my own behalf and work through a real estate transaction on my own. Bought my own home that way. Not saying brokers are not good for some, but if I am willing to do the legwork for a better deal, I just wish there was more of a forum to get that done.

I suspect that if this was an option more sellers would be willing to list their contracts that they are not interested in any longer. Perhaps the commission is keeping some potential sellers out of the market.

It is an option. Nothing is stopping sellers from doing it themselves (except on the DISboards).

And with the increases in asking prices on the broker sites the last 6 months(and several lowerings of commission rates during that time), I think it's unlikely that commissions are holding back many potential sellers.

It is an option. Nothing is stopping sellers from doing it themselves (except on the DISboards).

And with the increases in asking prices on the broker sites the last 6 months(and several lowerings of commission rates during that time), I think it's unlikely that commissions are holding back many potential sellers.
Thank you for the perspective. My question was specific to why DISboards does not offer this option but I appreciate the feedback.

I don't think the hassle of dealing with DVC for ROFR and estoppel is worth the possible savings. I know the 5-10% commission is higher than for house sales, but doesn't end up being that much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!