Purchased Riviera

Might I ask what the incentives were? We are not currently members but are pretty certain we will purchase in the next year or two. I believe historically incentives on new resorts for current members are different than those offered for new buyers but I'm still curious what they were if you don't mind my asking.

Developer credit. I bought 300 points which offered a developer credit of $6,750, bringing my actual pp cost to $165.50. Much lower than I (and I think most on here) thought the price was going to start at. I figured they were going to price it at or near $200 down to $185 with incentives.

Developer credit. I bought 300 points which offered a developer credit of $6,750, bringing my actual pp cost to $165.50. Much lower than I (and I think most on here) thought the price was going to start at. I figured they were going to price it at or near $200 down to $185 with incentives.
That's an interesting point and I tend to agree. That said $165.50 is less than VGF when that was released...we continue to see direct prices climb at an alarming rate.

Congrats on your purchase!

That said $165.50 is less than VGF when that was released...we continue to see direct prices climb at an alarming rate.

Yes, direct are always rising and are now $245 at VGF. Pretty sure they started at $140.

That's an interesting point and I tend to agree. That said $165.50 is less than VGF when that was released...we continue to see direct prices climb at an alarming rate.

Yes, direct are always rising and are now $245 at VGF. Pretty sure they started at $140.

Thanks for the correction. I was going for something there but that clearly wasn't it. I meant to say that $165.50 is MORE than VGF when it was released. My point was that even though the initial prices of Riviera are less than what we may have expected, they are still higher than than the "flagship" resort's DVC wing. It was a commentary on how direct prices are getting super high really fast.

A lot of us laughed at VGF for $140-145 a point. I know I did. Now I'd line up to pay that every day of the week and twice on Sunday. :)

Last edited:

Thank you!

A lot of us laughed at VGF for $140-145 a point. I know I did. Now I'd line up to pay that every day of the week and twice on Sunday. :)

This. I want VGF so bad, it's the only resort among the my faves that I don't own. I really wish I was around the DVC scene in 2013 (bought my first contract in 2015 and thought AKV and BLT would be my faves). That's another part of the reason I bought RVA. It seems like the closest resort in terms of style to VGF and I'm liking the location better providing my faith in the Gondolas holds true. I already promised my wife no more until the next recession hits (at which point I hope to snap up some lower-than-now priced VGF contracts).

If not for the resale restrictions and how that will play out in the long term, the unknown variable of how the new transit system will bear out (open/close bottlenecking, weather policies, changing lines at CBR, etc.), how hard/easy it would be to trade in/out at 7-months, this would be a no-brainer for me as well for all the same reasons. I would love a long-term Epcot/DHS resort at the current direct rate. With BWV/BCV resale, you know what you're getting. Just too many unknown variables for me to assume that risk... yet.

There is of course the risk this becomes the Epcot VGF (which also doesn't have any walking options but does just fine). Early adopters there, buying in at less than $145 incentivized, are proving to have gotten the best deals to date, even among resale buyers 5 years later.

With CCV selling at the rate it has, I can't help wonder why they felt this resale restriction was necessary. Maybe they just figured they could. And they're probably right.

We are considering this as well. But I'm also consider trying to find beach club resale as we like having a walking options. And my understanding (and it sounds like yours as well), as you will be relying on the skyliner heavily at this resort with no ability to walk to any resort. The incentives for existing owners are so tempting...

Yeah I folded! Saw a video of the model, called the guide, and had th epoints before I left for work.
The room layout is perfect for us - real table in the studio, twin murphy, bathroom with two showers, regular mattress for the sofa. And the price was a bit less than a poly contract we were looking at.

See you on the gondola!

Just a question...why do people who about to spend 25k-30k worry about getting a 1750.00 discount... I mean it only provides a free 9-10 points... is that really the reason to pull the trigger now before ever seeing it in person????

Just a question...why do people who about to spend 25k-30k worry about getting a 1750.00 discount... I mean it only provides a free 9-10 points... is that really the reason to pull the trigger now before ever seeing it in person????

Because nothing about this purchase is rational and most (I'd love the statistics) finance when buying direct. When you see it as "3 months free" on your payments - what.a.deal.

I would assume they get excited because it’s 6% off, which isn’t something I’d leave off the table no matter how much money I was spending. Though I always live by the policy that if the sale is the only reason I buy something that’s not good (this is different than the sale made it affordable).

As for buying it before seeing in person that is a risk agreed. But I must admit the images are compelling and the skyliner has been testing well.

I agree that being a conservative thinker in terms of spending money helps... I just have never thought anything about Disney is conservative in terms of spending money..lol I guess the whole thing is a shot in the dark given that the average person only gets 75 turns around the sun!

That's what mine said too. We have 2 UYs, one Feb, and Feb doesn't get 2019 points. What's up with that?

It could not sell a Feb 2019 use year and it also needed to be safe as to opening date. The Declarations were not filed with the Orange County Comptroller before Feb 2019 and thus the resort was not legally a timeshare resort by Feb 1, prohibiting sales with a Feb 1, 2019 start date. Also, DRR is scheduled to open mid-December, but one cannot count on certainty with that date, e.g., construction or getting occupancy approval could possibly have some delays. By excluding Feb 2019 use year, that gives Disney a 2 1/2 month safety period. If it were to issue an ownership interest for Feb 2019 and the resort were not to open before Feb 2020, any purchaser with a Feb 2019 use year could rescind the sale agreement, i.e., Disney cannot sell a use year unless the resort is opened before the end of that use year. I actually expected a longer safety period with the initial use year being April 2019.

Last edited:
It is called being safe. DRR is scheduled to open mid-December. But one cannot count on certainty with that date, e.g., construction or getting occupancy approval could possibly have some delays. By excluding Feb 2019 use year, that gives Disney a 2 1/2 month safety period. If it were to issue an ownership interest for Feb 2019 and the resort were not to open before Feb 2020, any purchaser with a Feb 2019 use year could rescind the sale agreement, i.e., Disney cannot sell a use year unless the resort is opened before the end of that use year.

THANK YOU! We have all been baffled by why they are not including Feb for 2019 points. I asked my guide if it was because they weren't selling it in February of 2019, and I was told that was not the reason. This is the first post that explains it.

Well, in our case location and contract length are our most important factors. We are skiers and very familiar with gondola type systems and are super excited for it. That, combined with the EPCOT location and the long contracts are what hooked us. The murphy beds and the look of the room are really just gravy.

While you are correct that $1750 is small compared to the $25 - $30,000+ we are already spending $1750 is still $1750. When I asked DH if he liked the proposed theme of the resort and the concept art he flat out said he did not care what the resort looked like. The location, contract length, room layouts, and transportation options are what will fit our needs best, he doesn't care what it looks like. I may not go quite that far but the looks of the resort are really not that important. So long as there is a good pool for the kids and food options onsite I am happy.

Though I really do wish we could see a walk through of a 1 or 2 bedroom in the preview center. Do they do those or just studios?

It could not sell a Feb 2019 use year and it also needed to be safe as to opening date. The Declarations were not filed with the Orange County Comptroller before Feb 2019 and thus the resort was not legally a timeshare resort by Feb 1, prohibiting sales with a Feb 1, 2019 start date. Also, DRR is scheduled to open mid-December, but one cannot count on certainty with that date, e.g., construction or getting occupancy approval could possibly have some delays. By excluding Feb 2019 use year, that gives Disney a 2 1/2 month safety period. If it were to issue an ownership interest for Feb 2019 and the resort were not to open before Feb 2020, any purchaser with a Feb 2019 use year could rescind the sale agreement, i.e., Disney cannot sell a use year unless the resort is opened before the end of that use year. I actually expected a longer safety period with the initial use year being April 2019.

So if we were to purchase in, say, November with an August, September, or October UY we would still get 2019 points?

Well, in our case location and contract length are our most important factors. We are skiers and very familiar with gondola type systems and are super excited for it. That, combined with the EPCOT location and the long contracts are what hooked us. The murphy beds and the look of the room are really just gravy.

While you are correct that $1750 is small compared to the $25 - $30,000+ we are already spending $1750 is still $1750. When I asked DH if he liked the proposed theme of the resort and the concept art he flat out said he did not care what the resort looked like. The location, contract length, room layouts, and transportation options are what will fit our needs best, he doesn't care what it looks like. I may not go quite that far but the looks of the resort are really not that important. So long as there is a good pool for the kids and food options onsite I am happy.

Though I really do wish we could see a walk through of a 1 or 2 bedroom in the preview center. Do they do those or just studios?

We are also a family that skis and uses gondolas regularly. The gondolas will be great.

There have been videos posted by @Spartan86 of the 1-bedrooms.

So if we were to purchase in, say, November with an August, September, or October UY we would still get 2019 points?

You will get 2019 points for every UY except Feb as long as your purchase before that UY enters 2020.

We are also a family that skis and uses gondolas regularly. The gondolas will be great.

There have been videos posted by @Spartan86 of the 1-bedrooms.

You will get 2019 points for every UY except Feb as long as your purchase before that UY enters 2020.

Ok, I'm sorry, I am learning a lot but still a little fuzzy on some of the finer points.

If I purchase a contract with an August use year are you saying so long as I make that purchase before August 2020 I will get all 2019 points?

Ok, I'm sorry, I am learning a lot but still a little fuzzy on some of the finer points.

If I purchase a contract with an August use year are you saying so long as I make that purchase before August 2020 I will get all 2019 points?

Yes. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter