Purchasing travel insurance for DVC point rental?

JohnDaleswife

Sharing the same birthday with Donald Duck!
Can someone please explain to me the deal with travel insurance and renting DVC points? I know that if you rent points you are taking a big chance as to money as it us not refundable, therefore the need for insurance.

If you buy it, do you get the cancel for any reason? Do you get fully reimbursed for your cost of the points or just a portion? Who is the most reliable in purchasing it?

Can someone please explain to me the deal with travel insurance and renting DVC points? I know that if you rent points you are taking a big chance as to money as it us not refundable, therefore the need for insurance.

If you buy it, do you get the cancel for any reason? Do you get fully reimbursed for your cost of the points or just a portion? Who is the most reliable in purchasing it?
It totally depends on the policy that you purchase. You're better off posing your specific questions to the insurance company that you plan to deal with. It's my understanding that many trip insurance companies will not cover timeshare rentals but the agencies that act as go-betweens for renters and DVC owners offer some forms of insurance.

We took out trip insurance the first time we rented DVC points. It's been years ago, and I don't remember who we used but there were very specific reasons you could cancel and receive reimbursement. Things like extreme illness requiring hospitalization (must have proof), Disney World actually closes due to weather, all flights cancelled for more than a certain amount of time, loss of job, etc.

It totally depends on the policy that you purchase. You're better off posing your specific questions to the insurance company that you plan to deal with. It's my understanding that many trip insurance companies will not cover timeshare rentals but the agencies that act as go-betweens for renters and DVC owners offer some forms of insurance.

Hmmm, didn't know that. Will keep in mind. Renting DVC points may not be for me unfortunately. It can be a real money saver.

You also don't get full reimbursement and the closer you get to the travel date, the less you are going to be refunded. So you could be out the cost of the insurance and a big chunk of what you paid. I've seen it offered through David's and another place that rents DVC points.

I have taken out insurance only twice when renting points - once when my DFIL had recently been diagnosed with cancer and my last trip last week, as I was traveling with my 2 DGS's so worried about sick kids. I got the Gold plan thru Travelguard and spoke with them directly and felt assured they would cover the cost of the DVC points in case of cancellation. I believe my cancellation coverage was for any reason.

You also don't get full reimbursement and the closer you get to the travel date, the less you are going to be refunded. So you could be out the cost of the insurance and a big chunk of what you paid. I've seen it offered through David's and another place that rents DVC points.

Does that apply to insurance bought through Travel Guard and such?

I just checked with a couple of travel insurance companies for my DVC rental, and they said as long as I paid cash for the rental - not using points - that it would be covered like a regular hotel stay.

I just checked with a couple of travel insurance companies for my DVC rental, and they said as long as I paid cash for the rental - not using points - that it would be covered like a regular hotel stay.
Well that was nice of you.:)

And that's where it gets sticky...you're actually using the DVC member's points for your reservation. So even though you are paying the member for the use of their points, you're still ultimately using points for your stay.

I know that it's splitting hairs. Insurance companies are famous for doing that. It may not end up being an issue if you need to use the insurance. Or they could use it as a technicality to deny coverage.

They also might be referring to the fact that you can rent a room in the DVC villas through disney not using points, just like any hotel room.

And that's where it gets sticky...you're actually using the DVC member's points for your reservation. So even though you are paying the member for the use of their points, you're still ultimately using points for your stay.

I know that it's splitting hairs. Insurance companies are famous for doing that. It may not end up being an issue if you need to use the insurance. Or they could use it as a technicality to deny coverage.
I did ask about that, and they said that as long as my reservation shows the cash price that I paid to reserve it, that is be covered. Hopefully that's correct....

I did ask about that, and they said that as long as my reservation shows the cash price that I paid to reserve it, that is be covered. Hopefully that's correct....
I hope that your contract with the owner is sufficient proof for the insurance company. Your reservation with Disney will not show a "cash price paid" if you rented points through an owner. I own at DVC and the confirmation emails always show that the nights are paid in points, there's never a dollar amount mentioned.

I hope that your contract with the owner is sufficient proof for the insurance company. Your reservation with Disney will not show a "cash price paid" if you rented points through an owner. I own at DVC and the confirmation emails always show that the nights are paid in points, there's never a dollar amount mentioned.
I actually rented through David's, so my contract is with him not an individual, and it has the total price I paid his company in my contract.

I actually rented through David's, so my contract is with him not an individual, and it has the total price I paid his company in my contract.
That's good. I don't know why I was under the impression that you had done a private rental. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you purchase the insurance that David's offers?

That's good. I don't know why I was under the impression that you had done a private rental. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you purchase the insurance that David's offers?
I don't think David's offers insurance themselves. On their website, they have links to two travel insurance companies. I'm hoping that since they're companies that David's advertises, they would cover a DVC rental. It's always so tricky trying to decipher the fine print with insurance, isn't it?

I don't think David's offers insurance themselves. On their website, they have links to two travel insurance companies. I'm hoping that since they're companies that David's advertises, they would cover a DVC rental. It's always so tricky trying to decipher the fine print with insurance, isn't it?

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I have been thinking about renting DVC points from David's but the only sticking point is if something comes up and I cannot attend. So I was wondering if you knew under what circumstances will the travel insurance actually pay if you cannot go on the vacation?

I don’t know what his contract said in 2016, but I have rented out my DVC points several times through David’s (as recently as last month) and this is not correct as of 2019. He makes very clear in his contract that he is only serving as an intermediary. The contract is between the DVC owner and the renter.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I have been thinking about renting DVC points from David's but the only sticking point is if something comes up and I cannot attend. So I was wondering if you knew under what circumstances will the travel insurance actually pay if you cannot go on the vacation?
I think most travel insurance covers specific illness/injuries for you or an immediate family member, but it varies based on the company. One of the other DVC rental companies, DVC Rental Store, has the option to purchase "cancel any time" protection plan, so you might take a look at that if you think your plans might change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!