Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

ITA, Breezy Carol. I think it is wonderful that some are able to afford such extravagent homes. However what bothers me at times is feeling as though the message is that of course all should want/be able to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their mortgage.

My Dad enjoys playing the piano. I fully admit to not caring for classical music. Lol, I guess an extravagence in a home we might share one day might be a sound proof music room :D I did when much younger take flute and for a very brief time tenor sax lessons. I later realized as an adult woodwind instruments are extra difficult for me due to TMJ. It was good to have tried :)

Last edited:
I want to decorate baked goods too......cookies, especially. I watch a lot of Food network baking shows.
I got tips and bags for a present.....now I just need to do it sometime.

I have lots to do everyday even though I am always home, but things keep coming up.

I just have to share a picture of DGS. He had a well doctor visit today. He's 3.
View attachment 498875
I have always wanted to take a cake decorating class and never had the chance, I look into it again now that I have a little more "free time".

@Meriweather my daughter and I LOVE to watch the cookie decorating videos, especially on Instagram because they are quick but so fun to watch.

I would love to learn a new language either Spanish or Italian....my maiden name was Martinez, you would think I would know how to speak Spanish but even after all 4 years of HS and 2 semesters in college....NOPE, still don't know it well enough to speak it. :laughing: I can get by with what I do know to read some and to understand a little when someone is speaking (very slowly). The little I know even helped a little when I was in Italy because some of their words are similar. My grandparents spoke Spanish, my mom's mom spoke Spanish when she was in school and kids made fun of her :sad1: so she didn't want to teach her kids. My dad was bilingual when he was younger but just stopped speaking spanish in jr high or HS so we never learned. My niece is 4yo and is bilingual and learning another language at school. Its amazing. :lovestruc
For all who want to learn how to use a piping bag one way to practice is filling a bag (half way or less) w/ Crisco and squeeze away. It's easy to pipe it all out, scrape it back into the bag and try again. There are some great youtube videos on how to position your hands and the amt of pressure to use. Here's one of use (and isn't he cute?...oops):

Another hack (less wasteful) is to use a sheet pan or cookie pan to practice on instead of the paper technique. I'm "OK"(beginner/novice w/ limited use of tips) with piping but practicing ahead of time always makes it simpler.

Some of those shows crack me up. The ones where they are looking for a home in a neighborhood. And the couple is 2 twenty-somethings with a budget of $1,000,000. I am like what the heck! And then the bedroom is larger than my family room and they complain its too small. Cracks me up.

DH and I make fun of those shows. "So, I'm a part time goat yoga instructor, working about 5 hours a week, and my partner is a shoeshine operator, who works when the circus is in town. Our budget is 1.5M and we are looking for something in the country, by the ocean, minimum 6 bedrooms with separate baths, a mother-in-law suite, and it MUST have an in-ground pool with attached above-ground hot tub, a yard for the dog and kids but I don't want to do yardwork, and a 3 car garage for my one bicycyle." :confused3

Or when the realtor goes "I know it's out of your budget just a little bit", when a little bit = $50K. Or "I know you didn't want the city or a bungalow, but here is a city bungalow that you might like!" :rolleyes:

Me too. I took lessons as a child so know some of the basics. We have a piano and both of my kids took lessons until they started instruments in band. I should really try again.

And how dare you go to Florida without telling us. :laughing:

Oh my goodness -I just have to tell someone, and I know you will appreciate this!! Staying at my folks place in Fort Myers and we have caught almost 2 dozen crabs, blue crabs, off of my dads dock on the pilings. Not even trying. I’m going to have had more crabs in Florida than I have in Maryland at this point in the year!

Hi all and Happy Thursday,

The humidity of summer is rolling in here in Indiana. It's not unbearable yet but getting bit thicker in the air. My hair will be huge in few more weeks lol Nothing special going on here. We went out to my favorite grocery store, Trader Joes, for treats and freezer junk. This is typically once a quarter trip but had been Nov/Dec since last trip so for sure needed to stock up on goodies. We swung through drive through for Chick Fila for lunch and headed home. We both sat through some military veteran transition career classes. I think, well I know, my Matt is struggling and worried and all the other typical issues with going into civilian workforce. He won't be "important" and can't just yell at someone to do some physical strength as punishment and I like to tease him that people going to call him Matt so he better like it. He's a great person but going to take some time still to transition into new world of no ranks and last name and no real "hierarchy" for lack better wording.

Dinner tonight: Simple big salad and some crusty bread.

Gratitude:
People that made dark chocolate cookie butter candy bars..Kudos to them!
The transition people trying to help my Matt understand he has skills and can be civilian workguy too
Chick fila waffle fries..sometimes it's little things I need in my life

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy as possible.

Question of the day: 6/4 What's the best piece of advice to give new college graduate?

It's the time of year where the young and some not so young are launching into the world, what would be the best advice you could give someone starting in this world?

I tell people to be who they are and true to themselves. I'm a weird mixture of country (hick) and cultured refined. It's hard to live the life we want when we aren't being who are to the world. What says the rest of you?

Thursday Gratitude:

A nice church newsletter article by Associate Pastor about being lights of Christ by living kindly.
Being able to order some needed items once more on Wal-Mart.com including ultra soft Kleenex.
That there is no curfew tonight. So many prayers this is a positive thing!

I would tell new college graduates to definitely be true to themselves, pray often, and go forth in faith and love. Also the importance of living within means.

Question of the day: 6/4 What's the best piece of advice to give new college graduate?

It's the time of year where the young and some not so young are launching into the world, what would be the best advice you could give someone starting in this world?

I tell people to be who they are and true to themselves. I'm a weird mixture of country (hick) and cultured refined. It's hard to live the life we want when we aren't being who are to the world. What says the rest of you?

You may not like the first job you get right out of college. That's ok. Take it, get some experience. You may know the how-tos and what-fors from the books, but practical usage is entirely another ballgame.

Tonight was clean out the produce drawer dinner night. Mexican street corn, zucchini fritters, and cauliflower rice sauteed with some carrots and brussel sprout shavings. Rained buckets here this morning; I felt like I was going to need a boat to take the trash out. It's calm now, but we're projected to have rain until Monday; we need it, so yay.

The building's HVAC system is back up and the a/c feels good although I miss having the breeze an open window brings. Still, I'm the only one here that likes moving air best so I know the other house residents are happier with the A/C. As long as they don't move my fan it's all good, LOL.

Cherry season has begun and we are all happy about it. Instead of popping them in the mouth every few minutes (nothing wrong w/ that!) I'm using some for tomorrow's dinner and a quick baked dessert: brined pork chops w/ a balsamic cherry sauce and a clafouti which is similar to a Dutch betty. The ex's great aunt taught me how to make that dessert and I'm always thankful for the lesson when stone fruit season comes.
I froze the pork chops in packages of 4 so am going to have to figure out how else to make the rest of them since we are only 2 right now. Oh well, I've time between now and the week's end.

Tonight it's "leftover's delight". Pernil, slow roasted pork roast, from a nabe restaurant, and salad. Too lazy to do more than heat up food tonight. The man is having his on a toasted bun smeared with a fresh garlic clove (think bruschetta; no bread for me. The last of the carrot and napa cabbage slaw with the pork.

What to tell college graduates?
Stand tall, think of the future staring you in the face, and make yourself and family proud.

DS texted with DD, DH, and me this afternoon, which was nice to hear from him.

I had a strike out kind of day. Went to Aldi for the first time in months specifically to get their yogurt which I really like. They were out of it. I did get cheap eggs and a pineapple. Then I trying to call the plumber to get the water conditioner serviced (routine). Both number had full mailboxes so I couldn't even leave a message. Then called the bank to make an appointment to go inside to get to our safe deposit box. I held on 11 minutes the first time and 9 minutes the second and no one ever answered. I was going to go to Acme to look for a specific hot dog but figured no point in trying today.

Dinner was a ham slice. I fixed DH scrambled eggs, fruit salad, and toast. I had left over roasted veggies and some pineapple..

I'm near a Publix...ha ha!!
Not helpful. LOL I looked at where Fort Myers Shores is. Have you ever been to the Farmer's Market Restaurant? We went for breakfast. Very good down home cooking.

You may not like the first job you get right out of college. That's ok. Take it, get some experience. You may know the how-tos and what-fors from the books, but practical usage is entirely another ballgame.
This. You probably won't get your dream job the first time. Nor make as much money as you want. Get experience.

Gratitudes:
Our local church camp does an online music time each Thursday. It was so nice today.
Texted with DS.
Had an online happy hour with some folk I met here on the DIS years ago and we still keep in touch on a different message board after the purge a few years back.

*sigh* I feel like the past few days have been difficult. My son and I did not have a good day together on Tuesday. There are 3 adults in this house, yet I am the only one who ever pays any attention to the child. And he needs CONSTANT attention. He follows me downstairs when I hang the laundry; if I am speaking to another person, he interrupts and won't let up until I acknowledge him (even though I have repeatedly told him that it's wrong and he needs to wait his turn).

My mother, for some reason, gets mad at me every other minute. I don't know what I did this time. One minute, she's talking to me just fine; the next, even if I'm not in the room, she starts slamming things, muttering under her breath, exasperated sighing, etc. She will be going out to Illinois in a few weeks to care for my aunt (who was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer, completed her chemo, but still needs surgery) and my uncle (who has COPD). I think we're all looking forward to the break from each other - although this morning, when she said we had to stock up on laundry detergent for me for a month, I said (gently), "It's okay, we'll have to go out for food anyway, we can get some," which apparently offended her. She stared at me for a minute, then rolled her eyes, sighed, slammed the grocery store ad on the counter and stormed off :confused3

We actually ventured out to 2 Kohls stores this week - Tuesday, we went to one a few towns over, and today we went to ours in town. The one on Tuesday was much more pleasant. Today in our town, there were huge lines, I got a lot of dirty looks from people when they came toward an area where I was and saw my son in a stroller cart next to me, Josh then had a meltdown when I wouldn't buy him a Hershey bar (like we don't have candy at home), snotty people making snippy comments at the door as we were trying to leave...And for some reason, I felt like I was suffocating in my mask today. It's not the first time I've worn it, and I've never had a problem before, but today I was having a very hard time breathing in it.

My husband has tomorrow off from work. The bank where he works is located next door to a police station and a protest is scheduled for tomorrow. In the interest of keeping employees safe, the bank has decided to close for the day. He said as he was leaving, a chain link fence was being installed around the perimeter of the police station.

Question of the day 6/3: What is something you still want to learn to do?
Honestly, I'm having trouble with this. I've always wanted to play the guitar. About 13 years ago, I tried. Seriously tried. But I don't have the patience to learn at this point. I know you're supposed to "never stop learning," but I'm just not feeling the urge to take on anything new. I wonder if that might change when Josh gets older and I have some time to think about it.

If you can still live at home, don't be in a hurry to move out into your own place. Work for a while, save up your money. Don't spend it frivolously. Start a retirement account ASAP. And don't expect to get your dream job right off the bat, or get hired at the top immediately - we all have to start at the bottom and work our way up. It takes time.

College grad - agree with the start a retirement fund, make connections through friends and relatives to get a job. Work a 2 nd job one night a week for just 6 months or a year for the extra fun cash - then Go travel.

For wedding showers, when they ask for advice to write on a notecard. I often put .....be able to make a good batch of brownies ....for when you need to say I’m Sorry to your partner.

Hug, apirateslifeforme. Prayers tomorrow is much better for you and Josh, too :) As I have said on here before, the judging and at times shaming these days is simply awful. I am sorry you both endured that.

Sparkle, brownies sound tasty to me right now. I still have yet to find a good brownie mix. With my TMJ the brownies can't be too chewy but must be fudge-y, of course. Years ago Hometown Buffet had tasty brownies. I no longer (even before this plague started) go there any longer but good memory. As a P.S. So when are we planning our dessert potluck again? :D

Breezy Carol, I'd love to be able to go inside a Kohl's period and to be able to shop without concern. I hope you were able to get what you needed.

Hug, apirateslifeforme. Prayers tomorrow is much better for you and Josh, too :) As I have said on here before, the judging and at times shaming these days is simply awful. I am sorry you both endured that.

Sparkle, brownies sound tasty to me right now. I still have yet to find a good brownie mix. With my TMJ the brownies can't be too chewy but must be fudge-y, of course. Years ago Hometown Buffet had tasty brownies. I no longer (even before this plague started) go there any longer but good memory. As a P.S. So when are we planning our dessert potluck again? :D

Breezy Carol, I'd love to be able to go inside a Kohl's period and to be able to shop without concern. I hope you were able to get what you needed.
Ghiradelli brownie mix.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter