Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

I'm going to somewhat contradict the retirement fund advice. I agree about saving for retirement, but when you are starting out it is equally important to start an emergency fund, so you don't want to focus JUST on saving for retirement. If your job provides you with a match to a retirement account - absolutely meet the amount so you get the match! But also save money outside of retirement.

If you get direct deposit - have it deposited into your savings account - after splitting some off to a long-term savings/investment account. Transfer your monthly (or pay cycle) budget amount into your spending (checking) account every month. Let the short term savings account grow for things like travel, car repairs, new electronics, etc.

I scored big this morning and wanted to share: bought a gallon of strawberries for $6.00!
A street produce peddler was selling them 2 qts/3.00 (recently saw them 2 qts/6.00 at a local market) so I loaded up. She was willing to sell them to me for 5 dollars but hey she needs to make a living too. It's so nice living close to the Hunts Point Produce Market as there are always some goodies going at great prices. Once I bought an entire case of fiddlehead ferns for 25 bucks and shared with my family and friends. Normal price is about 25.00 @ lb.

Now off to core them, flash freeze some and macerate others. I think strawberry pie and hand pies (for camping) are in our near future. The man is getting intoxicated by the scent (translation : he cores one, eats the other) so I sent him out to see if he can find some worthy cherries and some more strawberries he can eat out of hand w/o messing with my yield.

@NYCgrrl Great buy. We have a guy we get strawberries from. Usually only get a quart at a time. He picks in the morning and sells at 11. DH went today at 11:30 to get 2 quarts as I am making strawberry shortcake for DD and family on Monday. The man had sold out of 60 quarts. Expects to have 100 quarts tomorrow at 11. We will be there by 11:05.

My advice would be to do what you love and be happy. Take some time to enjoy life, don't just work all the time.

Gratitude:

I got my hair cut yesterday! I am so happy. It is the little things that keep you going. I also got to catch up with my hair dresser. We always have alot to talk about.

Doggie got groomed too. He seems happier with shorter fur and shorter nails.

Dinner take out tonight and a couple of glasses of wine to go with it. This is my relaxation time. I will be happy when the restaurants open again even for outdoor seating. I will so be there and will reserve it as soon as I can.

My advice would be to do what you love and be happy. Take some time to enjoy life, don't just work all the time.

Gratitude:

I got my hair cut yesterday! I am so happy. It is the little things that keep you going. I also got to catch up with my hair dresser. We always have alot to talk about.

Doggie got groomed too. He seems happier with shorter fur and shorter nails.

Dinner take out tonight and a couple of glasses of wine to go with it. This is my relaxation time. I will be happy when the restaurants open again even for outdoor seating. I will so be there and will reserve it as soon as I can.

Ours can start opening again at 5, I can't wait. My hair hasn't been this long since I was in High School!

* stay roommate oriented...much savings in having roommates
* explore mass transit possibles to travel and leave the car at home.
* work in some type of outdoor venture while waiting for the interviews
* take up at that invitation of the family relative and work for them for a year.
* now is the time to take that long hike, long winter skiing, bike trip
* be a regular plasma seller, good money in selling blood...now that you have the time
* throw away the foil wrapper from the ramen noodles, now is the time to explore what can be added to the noodles.

@NYCgrrl Great buy. We have a guy we get strawberries from. Usually only get a quart at a time. He picks in the morning and sells at 11. DH went today at 11:30 to get 2 quarts as I am making strawberry shortcake for DD and family on Monday. The man had sold out of 60 quarts. Expects to have 100 quarts tomorrow at 11. We will be there by 11:05.
Now remember I told the man to get enough berries to eat at will? He brought back 6 quarts 🤷‍♀️ . Somethings never change on this end :rotfl2:.

Just as well as when I finished hulling and halving the first berries there was approx 6 cups and one strawberry pie recipe calls for 3-1/2 cups. He did good and doesn't even really know it;).

How lovely to be able to purchase freshly picked strawberries!

The pork chops are brined, the cherries pitted and halved, shallots and garlic minced. All of a sudden the man says it's too hot to cook. Oh well, time to pull out the plastic wrap....

He bought cold cuts so dinner is now roast beef slices and fresh strawberries for me and a Dagwood sandwich of roast beef, ham, salami, Swiss and Muenster cheese, with lettuce, tomato slices, cucumbers and olives for the man.

Last edited:
Question of the day: 6/4 What's the best piece of advice to give new college graduate?

"Balance is the key to life."

Also the importance of living within means.
agree with the start a retirement fund
Yes! - Take advantage of that matching amount!! You don't need the best of everything right away. Build slowly, and:
My advice: less stuff, more experiences/memories.

...And he needs CONSTANT attention. He follows me downstairs when I hang the laundry; if I am speaking to another person, he interrupts and won't let up until I acknowledge him (even though I have repeatedly told him that it's wrong and he needs to wait his turn).

My friend taught her little ones to silently put a hand on her arm if they wanted her when she was talking to someone else. She would then put her other hand on top of theirs, so they knew they were "heard" and that she would answer as soon as her current conversation was done. It took a little practice, but it worked.

(I'd even say to set up some fake scenarios where you "play" this game. Make sure he doesn't have to wait too long the first few times, and heap on the specific praise after he does it right - something like: "I really like how you stood quietly and waited your turn.")

My biggest advice to recent college grads, or other young kids starting off on working life, is to max out the 401K fund, and also to not forget to "pay themselves".

This evening we went out. To a restaurant. And ate at the outdoor bar over the river. It.Was.So.Nice. Took Uber there and back so we could enjoy a few cocktails. It was so nice, did I mention!?!? Anyway, we enjoyed it very much. Just got a few appetizers for dinner. Came back 'home' to watch a movie and have a slice of key lime pie.

Heading home tomorrow, as always - looking forward to seeing the pups. I'm sure we will enjoy seeing the boys, too. But the dogs do miss us when we leave, although they like the spoiling they get when one of the kids stay with them:rolleyes1

I'm sure the doggies will be happy to see you both Easyas123:dog:I'm glad to hear you and your husband enjoyed a nice time.

Friday gratitude:

Amazing delivery from Wal-Mart on items only ordered yesterday! (This was just free shipping on orders over $35)
Afternoon rest
Cooler weather

TLDR: various deliveries took various time; I made food; I shopped for food; DD#2 has upheaval in her life, per usual.

Amazon: one order took 6 days to arrive (was supposed to be 15-20, so I'm ok with the 6); another order took 2 days and my last order is arriving today, just one day after ordering,

Target split my order on May 29th into 3 packages, but that's ok, as it was cat litter and cat food, so heavy items. The litter arrived the next day, the cat food in 2 days. My order on June 1st was split into 2 packages. The first 9 items arrived 2 days after I ordered; the 2nd single item is set to arrive on the 10th (originally for the 9th); but it hasn't moved in the system since June 3rd, but is coming UPS Surepost, so I'll end up having to go to the post office to get it when it finally arrives.

Walmart split my June 4th order into 3 packages; the first arrived the day after I ordered! The 2nd is supposed to arrive today(Fedex); and the last by June 11th (USPS), so we'll see.

I made Zataran's Dirty Rice yesterday, with ground beef, onions and celery added in, for lunch. My pork chops were still frozen together, so last night was Totino's frozen pizzas for dinner, with no objections from anyone. LOL So tonight we are having pork chops (probably Parmesan coated), maybe some couscous and veggies on the side. I set a dough to rise yesterday afternoon, so we'll have fresh bread here in a few hours; and I'm thinking I might make a cake today (boxed mix, because Alton Brown says they are just fine, and I'm super lazy this week); white cake with dark chocolate frosting.

Publix had plenty of tp, paper towels, hand sanitizer, etc, in stock; only thing not on the shelves were sanitizing wipes. I'm done shopping for the month, except for perishable things and frozen veg (no room in freezer right now).

DD#2 has had her plans changed yet again. Everything was all set; SoIL#2 was set to leave the Marines on Monday; and to be sworn into the Army on Friday. Yesterday, the Marines called him, and said his package to reenlist was approved, and he would get his signing bonus (only a year AFTER he put in for reenlistment; they kept extending his contract while waiting to actually sign him). So, he contacted the Army recruiter, who got him let out of his contract, and went and signed back with the Marines. It's where his heart truly lies, so he is happy. Same position he is in now, no training required, and they will be moving (pending any world issues in the coming months) from California to Okinawa by the end of the year.

DD and GS#2 are doing their 'vacation' still, which means they are flying here Monday; staying with her BFF for 2 weeks to 'quarantine', then with us for a month; then they are going to DD#1's for 2 weeks, then off to her in-laws in WA for another 2 weeks. That was the original plan, while SoIL went to train for his MOS with the Army, and they are just going ahead with that. While she's gone, SoIL is just going to stay in an extended suite hotel w/their dog (who was going to be boarded at their friend's house originally for that 2 months) as they had already told housing they were moving, and there is someone waiting for their place. The majority of their stuff is already packed up and stored.

When they get back, they plan on staying at the hotel until his orders to Oki (or where ever) are put into play. I'm not happy about that part of the plan; I don't think it's good for GS to live in a hotel for several months (especially since he is 4, and needs to be attending pre-K or whatever it is in CA) but it is not my decision to make. It's tough, when you are the parent and you can see the mistakes your child is making but can't do anything about it. She won't listen to a thing anyone says, so determined she is 100% right all of the time; and she has always been that way. /sigh

Went grocery shopping this morning. Was # 390 in Walmart Supercenter at 10 am. People were all wearing masks, but they sure weren't social distancing. Plenty of paper products, some bleach, no cleaning products other than toilet cleaner, laundry detergent and dish detergent. Meat department had plenty of beef and chicken but was low on pork. Frozen chicken, burger case was just about empty. No noticeable rise in prices, at least not yet. Aldi's had no paper products other than toilet paper and kleenex. Their meat department was full. As was dairy. They still limit to 2 of each item, Walmart has no limits except on paper goods. Came home and just finished mowing the lawn, it's 88 and HOT out there! Off to relax, everyone have a lovely rest of their Saturday!

Finished putting away the new batch of strawberries. Didn't take long so left more time for an early morning walk. We went to Fort Tyron and took in the view of NJ Palisades and the Hudson River. It was a bit humid today so we made sure to be back home by the afternoon's start. The man decided to sit in a local park for a few hours and opted to sit in the A/Cd home and look for a new bathing suit, order some vacation supplies online.

He's finally hungry so tonight we'll have the pork chop dinner.

Wow, you were busy this morning, Lynxstch! I'm glad you got some needed things and hope you did relax this afternoon :)

Nycgrrl, I'm also glad that you and your husband got to take a morning work, positive thing to do :) Hope you enjoyed your berries and dinner, too.

Today was cool again here, most welcome especially with heat to come during the week ahead.

Saturday extra gratitude:

A card yesterday from a friend with the lovely truth that in each day there is something to give thanks--Amen to that. Each day indeed is a gift from God.

Putting together a small ::MinnieMo Minnie Mouse jigsaw puzzle. I may puzzle glue and save it.

A kind message from a dear friend.

Tina, prayers all is well with you in IN.

My advice to a new college grad: for that new job you’re going to start right after graduation... if you can, don’t start it for two to three even four weeks AFTER you graduate. I know you have been going non stop for the last four years. TAKE A BREAK. Spend time with your family. They miss you. Do something you haven’t had time for. Visit grandparents. Take a trip. Get your physical and have your teeth cleaned. Trust me, once you start the job, things get busy again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!