question about borrowing points

Calbear88

Earning My Ears
Hi, I'm a new DVC owner at Saratoga Springs. I have a contract that has 90 points a year. If I go to Disneyworld during the adventure season for 9 nights, I would use 105 points a year, so I would borrow 15 points each year.

Since I have a 90 point contract, does this mean I can go 6 years in a row before I need to skip a year. (If I understand correctly, if I borrow 15 points each year, at the end of the 6th year, I will need to borrow all 90 points from the following year, and then I'll need to skip a year.)

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a new DVC owner at Saratoga Springs. I have a contract that has 90 points a year. If I go to Disneyworld during the adventure season for 9 nights, I would use 105 points a year, so I would borrow 15 points each year.

Since I have a 90 point contract, does this mean I can go 6 years in a row before I need to skip a year. (If I understand correctly, if I borrow 15 points each year, at the end of the 6th year, I will need to borrow all 90 points from the following year, and then I'll need to skip a year.)

Yes, unless you 1. buy the one time use points 2. buy another contract or 3. go for one less day.

No not correct. Yesbyou can borrow from future but then that reduces what you have available next year. So your second year you would have 75 points and the need to borrow 30. Then you would have 60 points with the need to borrow 55. So by 4th year you would be borrowing more than you have for the year. Now as said you can buy up to 24 one time use points every year. But with those you can only book 7 months out.

You are correct. As you borrow, you decrease the next years balance meaning you will need to borrow increasing amounts.

Year 1: 90 points and borrow 15 from next year
Year 2: 75 points (90-15 borrowed the year prior) and borrow 30 from the next year
Year 3: 60 points and borrow 45 from the next year
Year 4: 45 points and borrow 60 from the next year
Year 5: 30 points and borrow 75 from the next year
Year 6: 15 points and borrow 90 from the next year
Year 7: 0 points. All borrowed the year prior

I had a similar situation when I first bought. On our May trip for a 1 bedroom at OKW, we stayed 6 nights. Saturday night was 48 points at the time, which was a good chunk of points. I started paying cash with the DVC rate for Saturday night. Comparing to buying more points, it was about break even (this was years 2000-2005)

If you need points to make a reservation you can purchase up to 24 points (per calendar year) from MS
at $19 per point instead of borrowing from the next year.

The best way to do this is to skip one year and then bank 100% of your points and then use at least your annual point allotment + some.

We live in borrowing mode! I'm always on the next year's points for stays! I figured, my contract expires when I'm in my 80's so I won't care if I don't have any points the last year! LOL

Another option is to purchase points available for transfer from a third part

The wildcard is when they change the points needed for your exact type of room from year to year.

We also are constantly living ahead in the future with our points. Not sure if we will be up to traveling in our late 80's!
I think the only ones that don’t borrow are the people with 1,000 plus points or people with self control. We seem to always be in the borrow stage too.

Who needs self control???:stitch:

Joking aside, borrowing (and banking) can be very useful in using smaller contracts at different home resorts to alternate years but still retain the 11 month booking at each. With 100 points at the Poly (we are in ROFR for) we figure we can use those 100 points for our Sept trips 2 of every 3 years for standard view, or every other year in lake view rooms, for 9 nights. We are adding at DRR as well with 100 points to offset the off years from the Poly using the same strategy. In this scenario, we aren’t really staying on future points, rather using a borrowing/banking strategy to maximize our stays while still being able to book 11 months out. If we booked each year using the 2 100 point contracts combined, and not borrow, we would have to hope to book at 7 months. Not ideal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!