Question about Hibicus'

LittleBlue22

DIS Veteran
I loved having hibiscus while growing up on the west coast. Now that I'm in the midwest, I'm seeing Hibiscus plants. If you are midwesterner/East coaster, do you have one? I am leary of getting one a) I have a brown thumb and b) I doubt its survival here/location wise. I'd love to hear your comments.

There are hardy hibiscus for our area (zone 6, East coast). Lady or Lord Baltimore, Disco Belle, Kopper King, Moy Grande, Fireball, Old Yeller are all varieties easily found in our local garden center.

All of these have subtropical origins, so are very late in breaking ground in the spring, and they die back to the ground every year, but the roots are generally hardy here.

There are hardy hibiscus for our area (zone 6, East coast). Lady or Lord Baltimore, Disco Belle, Kopper King, Moy Grande, Fireball, Old Yeller are all varieties easily found in our local garden center.

All of these have subtropical origins, so are very late in breaking ground in the spring, and they die back to the ground every year, but the roots are generally hardy here.

brown thumb question, do they come back? I'm in zone 5.

I have a few hardy hibiscus in zone 5. The are technically rose mallow some varieties can easily be grown from seed. They need full sun and prefer wet feet. Try googling Luna hibiscus. The flowers are beautiful, huge and numerous.They flower all summer. Mine are just barely starting to come up. But they grow quickly once they emerge from the ground. The stems are woody once they mature, but need to be cut down after they die back. There is also rose of sharon a shrub but they don't flower very long

:thumbsup2Thanks Mindy, I love hibiscus but never had any luck. I'll look for these hardier ones. I'm zone 6b I think.
:dog:Old Yellar sounds like a real pretty one:rolleyes: That would be a fun job thinking up colorful names for plants.

brown thumb question, do they come back? I'm in zone 5.
They are listed as being hardy to zone 5, so they should come back for you. It'll die back to the ground, and send up new growth from the roots in the late spring/early summer.
I have a few hardy hibiscus in zone 5. The are technically rose mallow some varieties can easily be grown from seed. They need full sun and prefer wet feet. Try googling Luna hibiscus. The flowers are beautiful, huge and numerous.They flower all summer. Mine are just barely starting to come up. But they grow quickly once they emerge from the ground. The stems are woody once they mature, but need to be cut down after they die back. There is also rose of sharon a shrub but they don't flower very long
I really hate rose of sharon...think it's messy.
I don't think hibiscus like standing water, but they certainly do like consistent soil moisture. And don't forget full sun for best blooms.
DebºoºS;25242061 said:
:thumbsup2Thanks Mindy, I love hibiscus but never had any luck. I'll look for these hardier ones. I'm zone 6b I think.
:dog:Old Yellar sounds like a real pretty one:rolleyes: That would be a fun job thinking up colorful names for plants.
Wouldn't that be a blast, thinking up names? I love Bacopa 'Cabana' (for the name, of course!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter