Question about HM after Stretching Room

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
My DS was super excited to ride the traditional HM for the first time during our trip in August so we ended up riding it a lot. I was very annoyed with all the flashes from cell phone cams so I started holding the kids back after the elevator and walking really slowly behind the crowds so we could be at the end and not have to watch all the flashes. This strategy worked great...until it didn’t. Our last time on it was very crowded and as we were exiting the elevator in the middle of the crowd and barely in the hallway they opened up another door and let in another huge crowd. I’d never seen that before. How often do they overlap the groups? I’m wondering about how it’s going to be during October. With the high crowd levels and interest in NBC overlay will they keep letting crowds in before the first group has even exited the hallway?

My DS was super excited to ride the traditional HM for the first time during our trip in August so we ended up riding it a lot. I was very annoyed with all the flashes from cell phone cams so I started holding the kids back after the elevator and walking really slowly behind the crowds so we could be at the end and not have to watch all the flashes. This strategy worked great...until it didn’t. Our last time on it was very crowded and as we were exiting the elevator in the middle of the crowd and barely in the hallway they opened up another door and let in another huge crowd. I’d never seen that before. How often do they overlap the groups? I’m wondering about how it’s going to be during October. With the high crowd levels and interest in NBC overlay will they keep letting crowds in before the first group has even exited the hallway?
That happened to us for the first time ever during our girls' trip in July. I'd never experienced anything like it before - it was PACKED in the hall between the stretching room and where you get into the doom buggies. But HM had been up and down all weekend long, so it's possible that it had gone down right before that and hadn't cleared out all of those people, yet.

Until recently (earlier this year), that had not happened to us. Then it started happening every time. Squished like sardines between the elevator and the doom buggies. I'm not a fan of it.

Everyone should complain as this can become a safety issue. It’s up to the CMs to pace the flow of people going in. One summer we got sent down with a group of foreign tourists which were not accustomed to the personal space we normally have. It was terrible and I used myself as a shield for my daughter while I literally had people right up against me from behind and sides. People were also pushing to get into the elevator. I yelled out stop pushing but due to the language barrier it continued. I complained at the guest services stand right outside the exit. I’m used to crowded with some personal space, but when it’s so crowded people are touching you it’s too much.

This happened to us the night of the first Halloween party (9/19/2018). We were already jam packed and it seemed to be taking forever to get out of the elevator into the hallway, then I noticed another big group was trying to exit from the other elevator pretty much at the same time. I had never seen that happen before. I thought maybe it was extra crazy because of the Halloween party, but I guess not.

How awful! I had no idea this was becoming the norm! I felt the same way @cpster, I had to shield my kids from the crowds. It’s so scary for them to be caught up in that. I was really hoping it was a mistake and not a new thing. I cannot believe they are ruining the magic for kids by allowing them to view other guests entering as we leave what should be the only stretching room.

Please consider telling Disney how you feel. I filled out the comment on the website. I’d really hate this to become the permanent way they operate the ride. We could not enjoy the hallway being in the middle of a mob.

Last edited:

I go to Disney all the time and only had that happen once. I think if there is a temporary ride shutdown, or something where they have to help someone get into/out of the cars, then it can get really backed up. The CMs upstairs don't always realize that is happening so continue to send down the elevators. Or they get off-schedule on the elevators and are sending them down too soon after another, rather than alternating more.

I've ridden it plenty of times since that happened and it has been fine. It's just the luck of the draw, and not necessarily due to crowds in the park (it happened on a lower crowd day and I've been on busy days when it's been just fine).

ETA: The CM's seem completely aware and would tell us to move forward and fill in all available "dead space" - it wasn't funny. If there was some sort of an emergency with everyone crowded into the dark hallway it would be very bad.

This is the norm for us. On high capacity days I think they try to get as many people through as possible which creates a backup.

I'm not sure about it being too much of a safety issue, as they do keep a clear path for walking on either side (appeared large enough for a wheelchair to very comfortably pass by) as well as an emergency exit should it be necessary. It's the same as everyone jammed in watching fireworks in the dark, IMO.

This is the norm for us. On high capacity days I think they try to get as many people through as possible which creates a backup.

I'm not sure about it being too much of a safety issue, as they do keep a clear path for walking on either side (appeared large enough for a wheelchair to very comfortably pass by) as well as an emergency exit should it be necessary. It's the same as everyone jammed in watching fireworks in the dark, IMO.
As much as I hate it I agree it’s never felt like a safety threat to me.

I thought the hallway being backed up to the elevators is the norm at this point.

I can’t say if they usually let a second group in before the first group exits because we position ourselves to be first out of the elevator Every. Single. Time we ride. But even being first out of our elevator, we’re often in the back of the hall because it’s backed up.

I will say that probably 90% of my HM rides for the past 3-4 years have been the holiday version because that’s the only one I take my daughter on, so maybe the regular version isn’t as backed up as consistently. I also hold her in the elevator (she’s over 45 lbs so this is not typical), and I sometimes hold her for part of the hallway, or at the very least we hold both hands with her directly in front of me.

I will also say that I’ve acrually found it better this holiday season - we’ve ridden it five times so far and only been all the way backed up twice. Once (early morning) we even walked straight from the elevator to our buggy!

I have been visiting Disneyland my whole life (local and AP) and the crowded hall has been the norm for me. I would say that it being less crowded has been a more recent thing that I have noticed (or on the rare less crowded days). As a kid I always remember being packed in and watching the changing pictures while waiting to get on.

In the last few years, it is a rare occurrence to get to the turn (with the busts) without a crowd. Maybe early in the morning will you get the experience of no one in front of you or behind you, but certainly not during the holidays.

Regarding the camera flashes, you can ask the CMs when you enter the elevator to say something about that. We've asked CMs as we enter the foyer, at the elevator, and as we get ready to board the buggies if something can be said (loudly!) about NO flash photography. The flashes can be a health risk for some people, so it really is an important issue. Sometimes the CMs will even make an announcement over the PA.

I think this is especially common during the holiday overlay. Like many other posters we've also had large backups. I've also seen the other elevator come right after. It is crowded, but the inside queue is cooler (temp) and more entertaining for guests than outside.

How awful! I had no idea this was becoming the norm! I felt the same way @cpster, I had to shield my kids from the crowds. It’s so scary for them to be caught up in that. I was really hoping it was a mistake and not a new thing. I cannot believe they are ruining the magic for kids by allowing them to view other guests entering as we leave what should be the only stretching room.

Please consider telling Disney how you feel. I filled out the comment on the website. I’d really hate this to become the permanent way they operate the ride. We could not enjoy the hallway being in the middle of a mob.
That is the only way I have seen it operate, but I'm not sure what you are talking about ruining the magic. Are you talking about kids seeing a second stretching room? I grew up going to DLR and have never thought, oh there's another stretching room the one I was in must have been phony. I don't know what "magic" would be ruined.

Regarding the camera flashes, you can ask the CMs when you enter the elevator to say something about that. We've asked CMs as we enter the foyer, at the elevator, and as we get ready to board the buggies if something can be said (loudly!) about NO flash photography. The flashes can be a health risk for some people, so it really is an important issue. Sometimes the CMs will even make an announcement over the PA.

I have a history of seizures so it really really upsets me when people use flash on dark rides. Mine are primarily stress induced, but sounds and bright lights can cause them too. So I wear my headphones, but can't control the flash. I know what parts of rides I can't look at, but the horribly inconsistent people taking photos with flash on make me so upset. I know you might really want that great photo (that you can definitely find better online for google) but i don't want to have a seizure over it.

I just got back from a trip, and I only rode once, but I can confirm cast members did not send down another elevator while we were still in the hallway making our way to the doom buggies. This was with a 40 min standby wait, so even with a long line they refrained from overcrowding the hallway.

I think it varies throughout the day and between days. I've been there when both have happened, with and without the holiday overlay. In September, I would say that we mostly saw the hallway at least half full when the elevator door opens, but there was the occasional time when it was empty or full. Most often, when the elevator has opened, there were still guests in the hallway, but there was enough space for the newest elevator to empty into the hallway. We're always one of the last groups out, and we haven't been stuck waiting in the elevator very often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!