Question about placeholder 2-year window and COVID

You could move the current cruise to a date you’re not really going to use just to (possibly) preserve the benefits... 🤷‍♀️

For personal reason, we're only willing to cruise in Europe for now, so we can't move it to a cruise we'd actually go on. So I just discussed with my husband and we're going to PIF and then move to the same cruise next year, with hopes of getting the benefits if our original cruise is cancelled (including our placeholder benefits). If they won't, we'll just cancel that cruise, with todays cancellations, I guess we won't have to wait much longer then a month to find out.

You could move the current cruise to a date you’re not really going to use just to (possibly) preserve the benefits... 🤷‍♀️
I think we have a higher change to preserve the benefits if it's on a cruise which is cancelled (which I'm pretty sure ours will)

I’m hoping if they decide to do a fall/winter 2021 release in June, maybe this subject will be addressed. Either way, by mid June I’ll be canceling 3 reservations

Well, my two placeholders expire in early June. I'm obviously not able to use them. Does DCL automatically refund them back to my CC when the 24 months passes or do I have to call and request a refund? I was hoping they might extend them given the COVID situation, but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

Well, my two placeholders expire in early June. I'm obviously not able to use them. Does DCL automatically refund them back to my CC when the 24 months passes or do I have to call and request a refund? I was hoping they might extend them given the COVID situation, but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

They do automatically refund them to the method of payment. You can always call and cancel them if you'd like the money back a little sooner too.

I have to use our placeholder by this November. Since I can’t use it for the next several months (I wasn’t planning to, or wanted to) do you think they’ll extend the 2 year window?
If they don’t, will I automatically be refunded in November or do I need to contact my TA to request the refund?
I just got off the phone with DCL as my placeholder was to expire last week and all expiring placeholders were extended to December 31 2020.

I just got off the phone with DCL as my placeholder was to expire last week and all expiring placeholders were extended to December 31 2020.
Great news - thanks for sharing! Mine are set to expire tomorrow. Now hopefully, we are able to sail by then . . .

Great news - thanks for sharing! Mine are set to expire tomorrow. Now hopefully, we are able to sail by then . . .

they could’ve been a little more generous than 6 months given the fact that cruising may not even start back by then.

they could’ve been a little more generous than 6 months given the fact that cruising may not even start back by then.
There is no reason to think that they wont extend again, especially if the cruises are still not running.

It is good news, but we had a placeholder which expires in May 2021 and we can only do an European cruise at the moment... Hope they'll extend ours when our original cruise is cancelled

There is no reason to think that they wont extend again, especially if the cruises are still not running.

hopefully. I’m losing 3 Placeholders. 2 expire in September and 1 in February. If they gave an individual 6 month extension that would’ve been more helpful instead of a set date.

Last edited:
I hope they extend it again. We have one expiring in April. We moved our cruise to January but I doubt if DCL will really be sailing by then. I would be happy if they extended it through next summer.

I have to use our placeholder by this November. Since I can’t use it for the next several months (I wasn’t planning to, or wanted to) do you think they’ll extend the 2 year window?
If they don’t, will I automatically be refunded in November or do I need to contact my TA to request the refund?

We had this same issue -- booked on the Panama Canal sailing in 2018 so have to sail by Nov 2nd. I was told that there were no exceptions, since we've had 2 years to use it. Although we wanted to do the transatlantic cruise in May and were disappointed, we do think it's really fair. We shouldn't have waited.

So... we'll be on the Oct. 27 sailing to Bermuda! Just booked tonight! :-D

I have a placeholder expiring in October. It’s nice that they’ve extended them until the end of the year but honestly, considering everything is still pointing to a mass vaccine not being available until some point in 2021, I still wouldn’t be sailing by the end of this year. I have a couple of “high risk” factors (and getting older by the day 🤣) and I won’t be cruising again until there’s either a vaccine or a very highly effective treatment that lowers the risk.

If you consider the fact that Disney gets to keep the deposits they have in hand at the moment - rather than refunding those to people who let them expire due to this situation - it makes more sense for them to extend the placeholder expiration further. I’m sure there will still be people who let them expire, but Disney will have had that cash in hand until then.

I can confirm that my two placeholders that expired last week were not automatically refunded to my credit card, at least not yet. I have not received any communication from DCL about the 24 month time period being extended. I guess my only option is to call and ask.

I can confirm that my two placeholders that expired last week were not automatically refunded to my credit card, at least not yet. I have not received any communication from DCL about the 24 month time period being extended. I guess my only option is to call and ask.
While an expired placeholder is typically automatically refunded, the current refund situation may delay it some. But it's still "automatic".

Can I ask when yours was due to expire?
Michelle,
It expires on Oct 4. I rebooked for Bermuda the end of October, so they did not have to extend it that much. I called and told her I felt uneasy flying, and I can take the Bermuda cruise form NYC (I live in the area). They were GREAT about it. Worst case scenario, and it does not cruise, at least I don't have to worry about losing the airfare.

Just wanted to report back that my two placeholders that expired on June 3 were automatically refunded to my credit card a few days ago. I guess that answers the question. Expiring placeholders are not being extended beyond the 24 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts