Question about points

CaliforniaDreaming

#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
Is there a "good number" of points to buy? How many points would you suggest buying?

We'd probably do one week a year with points in the summer. Should we just buy the exact number of points we'd use (a two bedroom for about 350 points [if BCV is the same as VWL and BWV Preferred])

There would be a possibility we'd want to go more than once a year, too. :) That's where the problem is! We could always buy an extra 104 points for a studio in December. But, then that is 454 points (which, would cost a lot).

We could even save a lot by staying in 2 studios instead of a 2 bedroom every year (264 points instead of 350).

Does anyone else feel that the flexability of DVC makes your head spin? :D

Thanks for any advice. :)

CADreaming -- You also have to consider the future. I'm assuming your parents will be buying the points. You may not continue to vacation with them as often as you do now. I'm not sure if you've got brothers & sisters who need to be considered as well. You are right that the flexibility allows many options to consider....some trips in the 2 bedroom and some in the studio. You have the right idea of figuring out what you would need. If 350 covers your regular vacation that's a good place to start. If you can afford an additional amount, you might want to purchase more. If that's a stretch right now you can wait and see how your 350 purchase works and add-on later (realizing the price may go up). The cost of dues is per point so you need to keep that in mind as well when figuring out the financing.

If your family moves around, you might also find yourselves with additional points if you spend weekends somewhere on cash (say at one of the concierges you love) and then move into DVC for the weekdays.

We have 204 points which is what our guide figured we'd need ~ it sounds really low now that I think about it ~ and now that we're using our points. I wish we would have bought more because we based our points on a shorter vacation than we usually take and with fewer people. Now we always end up borrowing points which has left us with no extra points.

If you LOVE Disney and plan on going every year, then I would, just based on our experience, buy what you need, and if you can afford it, buy a few more, you can always bank them (something we've never done :-)

I think a 2 bedroom would be much better than 2 studios because you get the full kitchen, the washer & dryer, the living room, dining area, and the larger bath area with the jacuzzi tub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter