Question about renting points out

HappyThoughtsTees

Mouseketeer
Hi! Newbie here, wondering if it's easier to rent out a 50 point contract vs. 100 point contract? Or does it matter at all? We are new to DVC, and want to be prepared in case there are years we can't travel and want to rent out our points.
Thanks so much!

Doesn’t matter because you are renting reservations with your points.

So, if they are the same resort the renter has no idea whether they are in one or two.

If they are different resorts, then it would give you more than one resort.

Thank you!
We own at VGC, and the new contract we are looking at would just be for SAP. We were thinking 100 points at SS, but would you suggest getting a 50 point SS, and a 50 point somewhere else? That way we get the 100 point minimum for benefits, and have some versatility for renting out points at different home resorts? Or am I overcomplicating things haha. We live in California and almost exclusively visit Disneyland and potentially Aulani, so home resort advantage at WDW doesn't mean much to us except when it comes to renting them out.

Thanks again!!

Thank you!
We own at VGC, and the new contract we are looking at would just be for SAP. We were thinking 100 points at SS, but would you suggest getting a 50 point SS, and a 50 point somewhere else? That way we get the 100 point minimum for benefits, and have some versatility for renting out points at different home resorts? Or am I overcomplicating things haha. We live in California and almost exclusively visit Disneyland and potentially Aulani, so home resort advantage at WDW doesn't mean much to us except when it comes to renting them out.

Thanks again!!

Id just go with one resort to be honest While two gives you some advantage, if someone needs 55 points, you can’t complete the rental because you’d only have 50.

If you know they are going to be used more at Aulani, go with that, and know that no matter which one, it’s more likely you’ll be doing 7 month rentals at WDW.

But, I agree that Aulani May give you a bigger advantage for that resort as you could try to secure a renter during the home resort time.

Just bank or borrow that smaller contract and do a bigger trip every so often. Forget about planning on renting out points.

I would consider the fact that rentals are usually looking for about 5 nights at a minimum and could be looking at 1 or 2 BR units. Meaning 50 points is tougher to rent IMO because people are looking in the 100+point range most likely. That means that you would need to borrow points from other UY and further limit you own opportunity to travel.

On the flip side, if you get 100 or 120 points and people rent 90 or so, you get to bank and have some extra for yourself!

Hi- you seem set on not renting out points, can I ask why? Thanks!

I'm not Deb & Bill (and I still haven't figured out if its Deb or Bill on the other end of the keyboard - I knew once). But IMHO, its just easier to bank and borrow - you are talking about a relatively small number of points anyway. Renting does carry some risk. It involves some time. And it requires planning. Banking and borrowing require the same planning. Renting is what you do when you can't go for two years and you've already banked your points - by which time you'll have enough points to make rental worthwhile - because a 50 point contract is going to be hard to rent (have you done the reading on the studio availability problem?) Its a nice fallback

We've rented out points - but we did it to get into HHI during the Summer. Most years we bank and borrow to go every other year. Sometimes we are in a bigger room, sometimes we go for longer.

As a fellow GCV owner, I’d suggest you really do the math on whether direct benefits will be worth it to you. For most of us who primarily visit West Cost resorts, they’re not. You don’t sound like you plan to visit WDW enough to take advantage of the AP discount if it returns, and the other benefits are very minimal on the west coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter