Question about Skipper's Canteen

stellaneal

Earning My Ears
We are planning to do Yak and Yeti for our sit down meal at AK. We have been looking at Skipper's Canteen for one of our MK sit down meals. I have looked over the menus several times and they look different but they are both listed as Asian food. I want to make sure I'm not signing us up for the same meal twice. Any advice and reviews would be great. Thanks is advance!

They are two very different places. And I love them both.

Yak & Yeti is like an Asian highlights kind of menu: potstickers, egg rolls, Korean fried chicken, curries, lo mein, Korean BBQ. It's super tasty and run by Landry's (don't forget your Landry's card). It's a lot like what you would expect at an Indian, Chinese or Korean restaurant.

Skipper Canteen is more like Asian fusion. Steak, falafel, Thai noodles. It's run by Disney, but every dish takes a non-traditional spin. Remember the Asian fusion places that were popular in the late 90s? It's like that with goat cheese and pepitas on the side.

We are planning to do Yak and Yeti for our sit down meal at AK. We have been looking at Skipper's Canteen for one of our MK sit down meals....I want to make sure I'm not signing us up for the same meal twice. Any advice and reviews would be great. Thanks is advance!
We hit Skippers once per trip. The food is just pretty good (a small step down from very good). The occasional miss (to my subjective opinion of course) is almost always on a risky menu decision that just didn't play out for me.

So even when I don't like something at Skippers, I still support them because I would rather get a falafel I didn't like from a diverse and interesting menu than yet another mediocre NY Strip.

In a lot of ways, menu wise, Skippers is kinda a Tiffin's Lite.

Thank you. My options for MK are Skippers and The Plaza. I’m already doing Crystal Palace which we’ve had and is ok, but hopefully by February the characters are back which makes up for ok food. Lol. We’ve had Tony’s and maybe it was a bad night but it was our least favorite. Lots of people like Liberty Tree but we are from Louisiana and my husband is very anti baked turkey. There just aren’t a lot of in park options at MK. We are doing Ohana on a day we aren’t in park. I thought about walking to Chef Mickey’s but I would rather not leave the parks until we are ready to leave for the day. And of course I’m planning a February trip and who knows what the world will have thrown our way by then with Covid.

Yak and Yeti is one of our favorites. Has good food choices, good food and great. Atmosphere. We have always had a good meal there and it has a good variety that trends more Asian.
SK try to get a side room as the atmosphere is better.. food is much different than YY and has a variety of choice that range from whole fried fish to stew dishes. Not overly spicy but good flavors. If you are not a picky eater you have some good choices.
For MK it’s the best of the choices if you are not going for the big signature meals. Plaza can be good and has all you can drink shakes so that is a plus but new menu is meh. Tony’s is bad Olive Garden.

Once you get there, take a moment to enjoy the design and the theme. The Disney Imagineers have done a marvelous job creating the atmosphere at these restaurants. Yak & Yeti looks just like a larger version of an eatery you may encounter in Nepal, and Skipper's Canteen really brings you back to the early 1900's "expeditionist" era. The level of research Disney put into the design of their restaurants is truly amazing.

Love them both but for different reasons. Y & Y is a must do for me as is Jungle Nav. By 'asian', I'd say that Y & Y is more Indian, Indonesian, Thai -ish kinds of foods, spices and flavors generally speaking. I don't think I thought of Skipper's as "asian" as in a particular country, but just adventurous eating....as in not burgers, chicken fingers, etc. They have a great vegetable curry, the whole fish is a very good meal, the pork is very good. That was a reservation that just got cancelled for me on my August trip, so I'm hoping to retrieve it.

As far as we are concerned Skippers is the best option for TS at MK. Our only complaint was that is was a bit cold when we went on a hot day in August but then Disney has a habit of cranking the AC a bit high considering how hot it is outside.

Thanks guys. I think we are going to try it out. We haven't even booked our trip yet and I am already planning dinners. lol. I really am just hoping we can get hotel reservations for February and that we can park hop.

I'd like to add that we love Yak and Yeti! We loved the sweet and sour chicken with jasmine rice, and their wonton soup is authentic! I have searched hi and low for authentic wonton soup, not the watered down fast food version. My husband had a shrimp dish with rice and veggies. Can't remember the name:) Our first visit to Y & Y was last March. We liked it so much that we booked it 2 days later. We never eat at the same sit down restaurant twice, but couldn't help ourselves as it was so delicious.
I'm afraid I don't know about Skippers Canteen. I looked at the menu and didn't see anything we would like on it; just a personal preference.
Hope this helps a little!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!