Question for other guys about a certain princess movie

starlionblue

Recovering Disney addict but still failing
Seriously, any guys here who saw Frozen? I let my curiosity get to me and rented a copy just to see why it was so popular. It feels a bit like a run-of-the-mill princess story but it wasn't boring because the director was smart enough to make sure the story didn't slow down or drag along. Overall, on a scale from "Absolutely loved it" to "Meh" to "Absolutely hated it," I'll say I liked it but it wasn't their best. My all time favorite is still "The sword in the stone" although the animated version of "101 Dalmatians" comes very close.

I liked it but didn't love it. I enjoyed the music and liked the story even tho the plot was not very cohesive... But in the end I would put it 3rd behind Tangled (a top 5 for me) and Wreck it Ralph in their computer animated film library. Just not quite Disney magic for me... But then ad a 42 year old father of 2 boys I'm not the target demographic. :)

My wife and 3 year old son love it. Wreck-It-Ralph and Tangled were both better in my opinion.

Seriously, any guys here who saw Frozen? I let my curiosity get to me and rented a copy just to see why it was so popular. It feels a bit like a run-of-the-mill princess story but it wasn't boring because the director was smart enough to make sure the story didn't slow down or drag along. Overall, on a scale from "Absolutely loved it" to "Meh" to "Absolutely hated it," I'll say I liked it but it wasn't their best. My all time favorite is still "The sword in the stone" although the animated version of "101 Dalmatians" comes very close.

101 Dalmatians has always been my favorite because I saw it when I was young and loved it. Did you see Sword in the Stone when you were young? It certainly isn't considered one of the greats.

Regarding Frozen, I consider it the greatest Disney animated film to date. A run-of-the-mill princess story!?!? How is that possible? It is the most unique princess story ever.

There are so many wonderful things: Replacing the villain with fear, making two princesses sisters, protagonists, and heroes. I like the exceptionally well written characters of Elsa and Anna that exhibit real world personality traits and are written to act consistently with those traits in a believable manner from beginning to end. The prince & love at first sight being bad is fantastic. The idea that sacrificial love is the answer and the strongest magic is great. The way a man doesn't save the day but works together as an equal with the princess and both work to save the day together.

There are so many fantastic things wrapped up in an animated movie that is one of the most beautiful computer generated movies ever. The snow is just amazing! A well written correctly paced story with a hilarious snowman sidekick that loves summer.

I think the one primary reason young girls like Elsa is the fact that she is a young person who is self conscious and unsure of herself but she loves and is good, learns to embrace herself, AND has a cool super power.

And there is more.

Did I mention I liked it? Saw it 4 times in the theaters about 4 or 5 since. I want every little girl to see this movie.

All of these together has caused it to capture the hearts and minds of million of children and a fair bit of adults. This movie is the best Disney has made.

It all depends on what you see in the movie, and I believe that what you see in a movie depends on your worldview, (how you see the world in general). I have mapped out what I see in this movie in a previous thread here:

(Cut and pasted from previus posts)

I really liked the movie. (Preordered the DVD) I think that the words and emotions of the songs in the movie were integral in the character developement and plot advancement.

1. Using the chant/nordic yodeling song "Vuelie" to open the film over the traditional images if Ciderella's castle, etc., really set the mood for a Nordic story and hinted that this was not going to follow the typical Disney profile. And reprising it at the great thaw at the end ties the beginning of the film to the end and you feel you have come full circle and are near the end.

2. The "Frozen Heart" song introduced little Kristof and little Sven and forshadowed that they would have a hard life but were friends who count on each other and shared everything, but would be loners (the ice men didn't seem to acknowledge the pairs existance, much less try to help or teach them how to harvest the ice, and then road off and left them on the frozen lake). The two share a carrot, which they do at least 2 more times in the movie. And it is Kristof that gives Sven the first bite of the carrot each time, instead of biting off a piece and offering the leftover to Sven.

3. Then we jump to the palace were little Elsa and Anna share a room, but Anna (the younger and more playful sister) is awake and sees the northern lights and teases Elsa into getting up with the line "Do you wanna build a snowman?" i.e. Do you want to use your powers? After the accident, the visit to the trolls reveals that Fear will be Elsa's enemy, but the fear of what? (I feel that writers made the trolls perposefully vague on that point, but never developed this point further.) This is where the next song "Do you want to build a snowman?" ( reminding Elsa of why she is shutting everyone out) is used to show the passage of time and the diverging personalities of the 2 sisters. Lots more could be said here about this, but not now.

4. Then the coronation day. Kristof shares a carrot with Sven and shows that he speaks for him like a ventriloquist. His sleigh has wheels at this time, assuming that they are standing in front if his sleigh. (Summer Day) The song is "For the first time in forever" that to me, shows Anna as nieve and seeing only what she wants to see. Her mirroring the poses of the paintings is all of romantic poses where she is the center of attention. She shows that she is expecting a typical Disney princess experience, and leads the audience in that direction. Elsa's part in the songs shows she fears not being able to surpress/control her powers (she still views it a nothing but a curse). Hence she falls into the fearful-of-fear-itself trap hinted at by the trolls (but never developed in the story. Honestly, I kept waiting for a reveal about this up to the very end of the movie.)

5. Next song is "Love is a open door" which is Anna singing and Hans agreeing. Lots could be said here, too about hints to Hans' true character and Anna's nievity and wishfull thinking, and confusing infatuation/desire with true love. Later it is revealed that Hans is hatching a "game of thrones" plot probably during this song.

6. Next song is Kristof's "Reindeer are better than people" with Kristof again speaking in a different voice for Sven. To me the words to this song show Kristof to be a loner, distrustful of others but knows that others aren't all bad, and that he is far from perfect himself. To me there is a lot of character development in this short song and in the scenes imidiately before and after. Also, when Anna gives him the carrots in the barn, he again gives Sven the first bite.

7. I may have this one and #6 in reverse order but next is "Let it go". To me this really reveals alot of the charatcter of Elsa in that she has tried to obey her parents in suppressing all feelings so that her powers would stay hidden, but now that she has failed, letting her powers out is very emotionally cathartic, particullary now that she is alone with no fear of harming anyone. She now voluteers to shut herself away from others, but without the emotional self supression that she did in the castle. With the fear of harming others removed from her mind, she thinks she has complete controle of her powers.

Sidebar: Notice the way Anna and Kristof look at each other and the emotion in their faces and how it changes over time. To me this is a brilliant work of animation because you can almost feel them moving from just-met strangers to friends, to caring for eachother. At the end of "Fixer Upper" when Grandpapie troll says only an act of true love can thaw a frozen heart, it is another troll that suggests "a true love's kiss, perhaps?", not Anna or Kristof. and when the troll does say that, it is Kristof that says "Anna, we have to get you back to Hans." To me, this is a key moment in the movie, because i think I see the animators putting into kristof's face and voice a reluctance to let Anna go but to what may be her only chance if Hans is her true love. (Like the movie "Enchanted".) Anna responds by only saying Hans' name, but with a very emotionless voice. She doen't even say "Yes, get me to Hans." and the look on Kristof's face when he hands over Anna and they close the gates in his face. This triggers Kristof's epiphany moment and the animaters depicted it very well without over playing the moment. Anna's epiphany moment is triggered by 2 events, one by Hans' rejection and revelation of his deception, and the other by Olaf's use of Kristof's actions to illistrate true love. Anna shows she has learned this lesson when, after saving Elsa, freezing and then unfreezing, Elsa says "... you sacrifised yourself for me?" and Anna responds "I love you." It is the tone and inflection in her voice that is key, to me.

I don't see any of this as female empowerment or not needing a man or sisterly love over finding a man. I see it as a depiction of the difference between infatuation/desire and true love.

The conversation between Kristof and Anna in the sled before the wolf chase is when I was convinsed that this was not going to be a typical Disney Princess movie. Him saying "It doesn't sound like true love to me." was very unexpected.

Olaf's song "In Summer", to me, can be seen as a comparison to Anna's song "For the first time in Forever" in that they are both stary-eyed singing about something they have never experienced but they think they know what to expect. Best part of the song is when Olaf says ..."Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle, But put me in summer and I'll be a (looks down at a puddle of water) happy snowman." I think Olaf can be seen as a personification of Anna's wishful thinking and nievity. And after the song Kristof says "I'm gonna tell him". but Anna says "Don't you dare." To me this shows that maybe Anna is beginning to see herself in Olaf's song and doesn't want Olaf to have to see the truth, because then she might have to see the truth about her own situation. Lots of poeple are like that in real life. Misery may love company, but self deception can't survive long without it, either.

Skipping ahead here but remember to pay attention to how Kristof and Anna look at each other and how the tone of their voices continue to change during the confrontation with Elsa at the Ice palace and on the walk to the Trolls home.

The trolls are happy to see Kristof and i get the impression that he has been away for a while. Kind of like us when we went away to college. And then we bring a girl (or guy for you gals reading this) home for the first time. Remember how your parents reacted? The reaction of the trolls is just an extreme exageration of that. And the "Fixer Upper" song is about seeing the real person for who they are and not who you want them to be .. read the lyrics instead of singing them and you see so much more. (Sidebar -- Do that with the national anthem first and second verses.)

Insert the sidebar from my first post here. Another subtle hint of Anna's growing feelings for Kristof is the look on her face as Kristof carries her off on Sven toward the castle and Hans. One short scene of Kristof taking off his hat an putting it on Anna and saying "Hold on" and the slight smile on her face of complete trust in him. Then the way she looks back at him and the look on his face as the gates close.... superb animation showing their emotions.

On the 2 versions of "Let it go". I see it as this. The first version was for the story and fit well at that point in the movie. The second version was not ment to be inside the story, but outside it. you cann't flip the two version, they would not carry the feelings as they do where they are and would feel a little out of place.

Anyway. That's some of why I like Frozen and will watch it many more times in the future.

(Later Post)
Having watched the movie at least twice more on the Blue Ray and digital download, I have some additional comments:

About Kristoff taking Anna to see the trolls... Earlier I compaired the reaction of the trolls to Kristoff's return to how parents react when their children return from college for a weekend. Listening to the trolls carefully, one of them says to Kristof: "Take off your clothes, I'll wash them." The "I'll wash them" was lost by me in the theater by the audiance lafter.

The self sacrifice of love is shown by Olaf several times:
1. When he is thrown by the snow monster and says to Kristof and Anna " I'll distract him while you run." And later throws himself on the leg of the monster to try to slow him down.
2. When he is at the trolls home and wispers to Anna "He's crazy. I'll distract him while you run........ Because I love you, Anna, I insist you run."
3. When he risks melting to help Anna understand what love is and says "Some people are worth melting for."

Even Sven seems to know about self sacrifice.
1. On coronation day when Kristof gives him a carrot and he then shares the carrot with kristof.
2. The look on Sven's face when he sees how Kristof reacts to having to leave Anna at the castle and when he stops Kristof from walking away and his determination to get Kristof to Anna through the blizzard. When he jumps on the broken ice and throws Kristof clear, but falls in to the icy water himself. When he reappears and pulls himself up on the ice you can almost hear Sven yelling at Kristof "I'm OK, Go!"

Everytime I watch the movie I see more and more in it, whether the writers ment for it to be there or not. Frozen is definately becoming one of my all time favorate movies.

While I enjoyed it and I bought it when it came out on DVD (I don't buy everything), it's not near my top Disney movies. I think it's about even with The Princess and the Frog for me (that movie took several viewings before I liked it though). Tangled and Brave are higher on my scale.

For me, Frozen is just ok. However my little 3 yr old granddaughter is addicted to it, watching it nearly every day.

So from that aspect, I love it. This will be her forever Disney movie just like her mother's was The Little Mermaid (thought that's a much better movie). This is her gateway to Disney, so that's cool with me.

I'm also pleased for Disney's success with this phenomenon. :earsboy:

Beacher425,

I won't quote everything you said, but you nailed it! Couldn't agree more.

Another thing: Along with the beautiful and well directed animation acting by the characters, the writing is fantastic. I can't believe people said the characters were poorly developed or poorly written! Those were some of the best developed and written characters. Just watching the movie over again and getting the consistency of each sisters unique personality throughout the movie. And this consistency of character design actually carries the story along. For example. Anna is joyus, active, positive, but also quick to want to fix everything, reckless, doesn't listen and gets in bad situations. This carries through from the first time you meet her as a child to her punching Hans. Same thing with Elsa; loving concern for others, a more reserved and fearful demeanor that has both positive and negative characteristics. Again Elsa behaved consistently throughout the film.

These two characters, and others, where extremely well conceived and executed in both writing and acting. Some of the best, most realistic animated characters I have ever seen.

And I agree about the excellent animation and direction that did a great job of conveying emotions with subtlety.

When I watch it over multiple times, I enjoy looking at some of these elements. A superb film!

Beacher425,

Another thing: Along with the beautiful and well directed animation acting by the characters, the writing is fantastic. I can't believe people said the characters were poorly developed or poorly written! Those were some of the best developed and written characters. Just watching the movie over again and getting the consistency of each sisters unique personality throughout the movie. And this consistency of character design actually carries the story along. For example. Anna is joyus, active, positive, but also quick to want to fix everything, reckless, doesn't listen and gets in bad situations. This carries through from the first time you meet her as a child to her punching Hans. Same thing with Elsa; loving concern for others, a more reserved and fearful demeanor that has both positive and negative characteristics. Again Elsa behaved consistently throughout the film.

These two characters, and others, where extremely well conceived and executed in both writing and acting. Some of the best, most realistic animated characters I have ever seen.

And I agree about the excellent animation and direction that did a great job of conveying emotions with subtlety.

When I watch it over multiple times, I enjoy looking at some of these elements. A superb film!

Yeah, I don't really get the hype about Elsa. For a movie touted as being less of a stereotypical Disney movie, people sure do like the pretty girl who can sing more than they like Anna, who IMO is a much more complex character (not that Kristin Bell can't sing, but you know...next to Indina Menzel).

Yeah, I don't really get the hype about Elsa. For a movie touted as being less of a stereotypical Disney movie, people sure do like the pretty girl who can sing more than they like Anna, who IMO is a much more complex character (not that Kristin Bell can't sing, but you know...next to Indina Menzel).

She's a good, loving, self conscious and insecure girl who learns to be herself, is beautiful, AND has a super-power. No wonder little girls love her!!!

Sorry to crash the party (I'm a girl), but I couldn't resist replying to some of these intriguing responses...

Please forgive me. ;)

A run-of-the-mill princess story!?!? How is that possible? It is the most unique princess story ever.

That's debatable. I think if one were to make a list of the most original/unique princess stories/Disney movies out there, Frozen would deservedly be included, but I'm not sure whether or not it would be the most unique.

You said "princess story," which is broad enough to include both fairy tales -- like the original stories the Disney films originated from, including Hans Christian Andersen's Snow Queen, for which, of course, Frozen is loosely based off -- and the like, but in order to make things simpler I'll limit the qualifying material to only Disney princess films instead.

Frozen is a more unique spin on a princess tale than any of the earliest Disney princess movies: Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. (I'm basing this off how different the film was from your average fairy tale/princess story, how cleverly written it was, how realistic the characters are/how well developed the characters are, et cetera... which is why I can say in confidence that Frozen beats out those three at the very least; though I'm not knocking any of those films, mind you.) The Little Mermaid would also most likely be out, as Ariel pines away for her prince and ultimately proves herself to be rather foolish and stupid, yet despite the many mistakes she makes throughout the film (and basically how idiotic she acts), she never really has to pay a price for this and ends up with her "happily ever after" and prince. There are original aspects to the film (and it is a great film, don't get me wrong), but it could hardly be called Disney's most unique princess tale as it is basically your run-of-the-mill princess story, just Disney-ified.

Aladdin would be out, also, because it's not really a princess movie even if it stars a princess (however, if we're ranking princesses rather than the films they're from, I would say Jasmine is pretty darn unique). I would also leave Pocahontas and Mulan out of the running, since their leading ladies are not technically princesses, despite what some ill-informed people may tell you (yes, I'm aware Pocahontas is the daughter of a chief, but that does not mean she's a princess -- she also never marries into a royal family like Cinderella and others do).

Which basically leaves us with Frozen, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Beauty and the Beast and Brave.

One may say that Frozen is the most unique out of that bunch, and I can see why they would argue that, as Frozen is pretty unique compared to both fairy tales and earlier Disney princess films. That said, I personally find Brave to be far more unique. There's no true love or true love's kiss for Merida, in fact, she resists the concept all together (which is nearly unheard of for fairy tales and especially Disney princess movies; even Jasmine didn't dislike the idea of true love, in fact it was her desire for it that made her resist an arranged marriage). Never in the film is she shown as pining for any man, royal or otherwise, nor does she desperately aspire to marry as Anna does (and yes, Anna has reasons to aspire to marry, due in large part to her naïvety and loneliness -- but no matter what her reasons are, it's still pretty unoriginal).

Elsa's a great and unique character, but Merida's equally unique if not more so. Merida's feuding with her mother and butting heads with her family and tradition also makes her as realistic -- albeit in different ways -- as Elsa, not to mention her tomboyish streak, independence, foolish actions, and even her self-centeredness.

Brave as a whole is a much more unique princess film by my way of thinking, with original and realistic characters, a lack of clichés (which Frozen has plenty of), a less flawless-looking main character (Merida has a more realistic body type and looks less like your average Disney princess than Elsa or Anna do), et cetera. I also think Tangled, Beauty and the Beast and The Princess and the Frog are pretty unique, but Brave stands out the most to me, by far.

There are so many wonderful things: Replacing the villain with fear, making two princesses sisters, protagonists, and heroes. I like the exceptionally well written characters of Elsa and Anna that exhibit real world personality traits and are written to act consistently with those traits in a believable manner from beginning to end. The prince & love at first sight being bad is fantastic. The idea that sacrificial love is the answer and the strongest magic is great. The way a man doesn't save the day but works together as an equal with the princess and both work to save the day together.

That's true. And all of that, in part, is why Frozen is near the top of my most-unique-Disney-princess-films list (albeit behind Brave -- which, for the record, I didn't even enjoy as much as I enjoyed Frozen, unique or not).

There are so many fantastic things wrapped up in an animated movie that is one of the most beautiful computer generated movies ever. The snow is just amazing! A well written correctly paced story with a hilarious snowman sidekick that loves summer.

The animation is undeniably spectacular -- even I, a hand drawn/traditional animation purist, was blown away. The film was also quite comedic, too, as you said. I expected to be annoyed by Olaf, but I actually found him pretty charming.

I don't recall being particularly bowled over by the pacing, though. Guess I'll have to re-watch it and see. :thumbsup2

I think the one primary reason young girls like Elsa is the fact that she is a young person who is self conscious and unsure of herself but she loves and is good, learns to embrace herself, AND has a cool super power.

Precisely. I've also noticed a large number of people with mental illnesses relate to Elsa's struggle -- be it OCD, bipolar disorder, DID, body dysmorphic disorder, or depression, among others. Elsa is a very universal character who I think most of us, in some way or other, can relate to -- some more strongly than others.

Elsa was, in my opinion, easily Frozen's biggest asset. She is also one of the greatest characters Disney has given us, I think. Some may not realize just how deep, universal, complex and compelling she is, but to those of us who do, it's quite extraordinary.

Easy to see why so many like and relate to her (myself included).

3. Then we jump to the palace were little Elsa and Anna share a room, but Anna (the younger and more playful sister) is awake and sees the northern lights and teases Elsa into getting up with the line "Do you wanna build a snowman?" i.e. Do you want to use your powers? After the accident, the visit to the trolls reveals that Fear will be Elsa's enemy, but the fear of what? (I feel that writers made the trolls perposefully vague on that point, but never developed this point further.) This is where the next song "Do you want to build a snowman?" ( reminding Elsa of why she is shutting everyone out) is used to show the passage of time and the diverging personalities of the 2 sisters. Lots more could be said here about this, but not now.

Agreed! Brilliant points, all the way around.

5. Next song is "Love is a open door" which is Anna singing and Hans agreeing. Lots could be said here, too about hints to Hans' true character and Anna's nievity and wishfull thinking, and confusing infatuation/desire with true love. Later it is revealed that Hans is hatching a "game of thrones" plot probably during this song.

More wonderful points! I think "Love is an Open Door" is a pretty underrated song; it worked well in the film to display exactly what you mentioned.

6. Next song is Kristof's "Reindeer are better than people" with Kristof again speaking in a different voice for Sven. To me the words to this song show Kristof to be a loner, distrustful of others but knows that others aren't all bad, and that he is far from perfect himself. To me there is a lot of character development in this short song and in the scenes imidiately before and after.

Huh. Very intriguing. I personally thought "Reindeer Are Better Than People" was a one-dimensional song meant for a bit of comic relief and not much else, as well as to bridge the gap between the previous scene and the post-song scene -- but now that you point it out, I think it might've had a bigger purpose to it than just that.

I've griped about Kristoff's character development for some time, but he may just be deeper than I originally thought.

...I need to re-watch that scene either way. :)

I don't see any of this as female empowerment or not needing a man or sisterly love over finding a man. I see it as a depiction of the difference between infatuation/desire and true love.

I agree! I think that's also a far better message to send children than just "men are jerks and you should never fall in love" -- which isn't healthy, either. Subtly letting kids know that infatuation and falling for someone too quickly could lead to trouble down the road is a much healthier message, especially considering that Disney's always been famous for showing the opposite in their princess films (in which giving up your voice and abandoning your family for someone whom you've only glimpsed makes perfect sense... that darn Ariel!).

There are many messages in Frozen, of course, and many different ways to interpret them. I like that -- I like that it isn't singularly focused on one core lesson but several that can be viewed in multiple fashions, and all of them healthy.

The fact that Anna does end up with someone (Kristoff) also shows that the movie isn't anti-romance/love, which is good as you wouldn't want children to become jaded! :laughing: Healthier and healthier relationships are being shown in Disney films as the years go on, like Rapunzel and Flynn's (their relationship may not be perfect, but they at least get to know each other before developing a romance) in Tangled, Aladdin and Jasmine's, and now Anna and Kristoff. (The latter are probably the best of the three, due to the fact that Aladdin does lie to Jasmine for a while, and she, even earlier, lies to him -- by omitting the fact that she's a princess. Rapunzel also basically manipulates Flynn into acting as her guide, and Flynn's a thief that breaks into her home... but that's a discussion for another day.)

Olaf's song "In Summer", to me, can be seen as a comparison to Anna's song "For the first time in Forever" in that they are both stary-eyed singing about something they have never experienced but they think they know what to expect. Best part of the song is when Olaf says ..."Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle, But put me in summer and I'll be a (looks down at a puddle of water) happy snowman." I think Olaf can be seen as a personification of Anna's wishful thinking and nievity. And after the song Kristof says "I'm gonna tell him". but Anna says "Don't you dare." To me this shows that maybe Anna is beginning to see herself in Olaf's song and doesn't want Olaf to have to see the truth, because then she might have to see the truth about her own situation. Lots of poeple are like that in real life. Misery may love company, but self deception can't survive long without it, either.

Very true! I don't how I didn't notice that when I saw Frozen. Thanks for pointing it out.

While I enjoyed it and I bought it when it came out on DVD (I don't buy everything), it's not near my top Disney movies. I think it's about even with The Princess and the Frog for me (that movie took several viewings before I liked it though). Tangled and Brave are higher on my scale.

Frozen and Tangled are about even to me. I like them both for very different reasons; it's hard to pick a favorite. :scratchin

Brave and The Princess and the Frog, on the other hand, I don't care for very much. I admire Brave for its originality and wonderful main character, but also find it pretty dull. The Princess and the Frog I, admittedly, only watched once -- soon after it came out on DVD -- when I was about nine or ten, and hated it. It probably had to due with my age, though, and the fact that at the time I loathed princess movies. :p

Beacher425,

I agree -- you really did nail it, Beacher. Your take on the film and its symbolism, undertones, emotion and characters were exceptional. I'm only jealous I didn't realize a lot of them sooner! :rotfl2:

Another thing: Along with the beautiful and well directed animation acting by the characters, the writing is fantastic. I can't believe people said the characters were poorly developed or poorly written! Those were some of the best developed and written characters.

From our previous Frozen discussions, you may recall my somewhat-unfavorable, somewhat-harsh take on the character development. I stand by most of what I said, but I do think I might've been a bit too strong with Kristoff. Also, I realize that for the time they had to work with and the other restrictions, the character development was pretty great. (I still don't think they were some of the best-developed film characters, however; not by any means. Elsa's great, though.)

As for the writing, I don't think it was the best, nor the worst. It was strong, don't get me wrong -- the song writing in particular stood out as wonderful, very Broadway and easy enough to follow. The dialogue varied in quality throughout the film. There was some crude humor in the movie that felt entirely unnecessary, so I ding the writing quite a bit for that (crude humor in films, Disney or otherwise, I absolutely abhor). I get they were trying to appeal to children, but I'm sure the movie would've gone over just as well without that.

Some of the dialogue, both that which was woven into the songs and otherwise, didn't sound very realistic/like what someone would actually say. Many movies suffer from unbelievable dialogue, and I don't think Frozen was immune to that issue.

In short, I don't think Frozen had the best writing, no. Similarly, I was only lukewarm to the very popular Wreck-It Ralph for its crude humor (which was in far more abundance than with Frozen) and some moments of rough dialogue.

(I may be pickier about dialogue than most, though; being a writer myself who specializes in dialogue, having a character in a film say something that doesn't sound completely natural or realistic -- or, basically, sounds like something someone has scripted for said character to say -- is a big pet peeve of mine.)

Just watching the movie over again and getting the consistency of each sisters unique personality throughout the movie. And this consistency of character design actually carries the story along. For example. Anna is joyus, active, positive, but also quick to want to fix everything, reckless, doesn't listen and gets in bad situations. This carries through from the first time you meet her as a child to her punching Hans. Same thing with Elsa; loving concern for others, a more reserved and fearful demeanor that has both positive and negative characteristics. Again Elsa behaved consistently throughout the film.

That's true, although I still don't consider Anna terribly realistic nor terribly unique. (She is, in a lot of ways, just like Rapunzel and several non-princess Disney characters.)

You're not the only one. I've met several people -- all of them men, interestingly enough -- who felt the same way about Elsa. They didn't "get her." They didn't understand what made her deep, different, compelling, and some didn't even see what made her relatable.

If you don't relate to her, it's harder to see all of her complexities, I think. And I believe that more women relate to her than men -- not that all men don't -- because women especially have to deal with trying to be perfect, fit in, look a certain way, hide their imperfections, et cetera... Elsa is like a heightened version of all that, and all of those insecurities.

Elsa is pretty, and she can sing. This does make her similar to past princesses. But what do you expect? She's quite different than earlier princesses like Cinderella and Aurora personality-wise, she just happens to also possess good looks and a nice voice. The good looks because she's a Disney princess (I highly doubt there will ever be an unattractive Disney princess), and the singing voice because she's a Disney princess. It's a musical. She has to be able to sing. I'm personally glad about that, considering I love Disney musicals and the day they stop having animated singing princesses in their films will be a very, very sad day. (Which will hopefully never happen.)

Anna can also sing, and many people prefer her/Kristen Bell's voice to Idina Menzel's (surprisingly, Menzel is something of an acquired taste; just go on YouTube and read the comments on the "For the First Time in Forever" video; many of the viewers like Bell's softer, sweeter voice over Menzel's icier, more mature tone).

I'm curious as to why you find Anna to be a more complex character? I liked Anna all right, but found her to be a pretty typical Disney girl in most ways, and not incredibly realistic. (I personally have never met someone her age who is as cheerful, optimistic and bold as she -- and even Rapunzel from Tangled -- is. On the other hand, I've met plenty of girls just like Elsa, myself included.)

Sorry to crash the party (I'm a girl), but I couldn't resist replying to some of these intriguing responses...

Please forgive me. ;)

EEEEK! There's a girl in here! :lmao:

It's ok, actually.

Brave as a whole is a much more unique princess film by my way of thinking, with original and realistic characters, a lack of clichés (which Frozen has plenty of), a less flawless-looking main character (Merida has a more realistic body type and looks less like your average Disney princess than Elsa or Anna do), et cetera.

Brave is unique for having a princess with no love interest and being about the mother daughter relationship. And it is full of clichés, just different ones. Scottish men are brutish oafs without manners, is one.

BUT, Frozen breaks so many rules! Two princesses, they are sisters and the two protagonists, not just breaking the "true love's kiss" troupe, but turning on it's head and making it the BIG twist! Sacrificial love, prince is the bad guy, broadway style music. The main princess has no love interest at all. It isn't even mentioned, not rejected, but rather not even mentioned! Yes Brave is unique, but Frozen is the most unique princess movie. Ever. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I'd agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
:lmao:

The fact that Anna does end up with someone (Kristoff) also shows that the movie isn't anti-romance/love, which is good as you wouldn't want children to become jaded! :laughing: Healthier and healthier relationships are being shown in Disney films as the years go on, like Rapunzel and Flynn's (their relationship may not be perfect, but they at least get to know each other before developing a romance) in Tangled,...

The relationship between Anna and Kristoff and how it develops is one of the highlights. Working together, neither is the superior, learning to be a team, and THEN falling in love!! This may be the best representation of love in a Disney princess movie.

Frozen and Tangled are about even to me. I like them both for very different reasons; it's hard to pick a favorite. :scratchin

I do love Tangled. It is a great movie. But Frozen is going to be considered one of Disney's greatest ever in 10 years.

There was some crude humor in the movie that felt entirely unnecessary, so I ding the writing quite a bit for that (crude humor in films, Disney or otherwise, I absolutely abhor). I get they were trying to appeal to children, but I'm sure the movie would've gone over just as well without that.

THANK YOU! I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! Enough with the crudeness to be cool. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy, except for they had to include some crude language and cursing to be "rebellious."

Anna can also sing, and many people prefer her/Kristen Bell's voice to Idina Menzel's (surprisingly, Menzel is something of an acquired taste; just go on YouTube and read the comments on the "For the First Time in Forever" video; many of the viewers like Bell's softer, sweeter voice over Menzel's icier, more mature tone).

Fascinating. I agree with this 100%. I love Idina and she nailed it, but I like Kristen Bell and Demi Lovato's voices better for exactly that reason; "softer and sweeter" somehow.

I'm curious as to why you find Anna to be a more complex character? I liked Anna all right, but found her to be a pretty typical Disney girl in most ways, and not incredibly realistic. (I personally have never met someone her age who is as cheerful, optimistic and bold as she -- and even Rapunzel from Tangled -- is. On the other hand, I've met plenty of girls just like Elsa, myself included.)

This wasn't addressed to me, but, while the feisty female is the new typical representation, Anna was fleshed out pretty well. She was loving but a know-it-all. She cared but didn't listen. She wanted to fix everything but acted and spoke without thinking. Brave but reckless. And they showed this along with a consistent relationship with her sister from the beginning to the end.

Frozen is one of the greatest of all time. But I think Tangled and Brave were right up there as some of the best. I liked Princess and the Frog, too. Beauty and the Beast is great. Lion King is good.

Thanks Natara and Yellowstonetim. I like to think about movies after I have watched them and see what I can see in them. Sometimes my mind sees things while I am watching the movie but mostly observations come later. I have been told that I can stretch too much (for example, I think that Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of the best morality plays of our time, showing how complete self-gratification leads to complete self-destruction, and of those on the sidelines just watching as well). I really enjoy talking about movies and hearing what others see in them. I liked Brave better than the Princess and the Frog and Wreck it Ralph better than Tangled (more comedy in WIR). I try to listen close to the words to songs, even the chosen background music, and to any subtle one liners that may open up a side of the character not overtly (or even intentionally) presented. But always remember that whatever the characters do or say is because that is the way the writers wrote it, and not of any real free will on the part of the characters. Anyway, lets keep these discussions going!!

Frozen on OUAT is the only reason I got interested in the series and will be watching to see what they do to the characters.

I agree with whoever above posted that Anna is drawn more attractive than Elsa.

I really enjoyed the movie. For me it was the music that made the whole experience. After watching it the first time I could nearly sing "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" and "Let It Go" but to be honest I couldn't have explained the plot whatsoever.

Not sure if any of you guys have read Mayim Bialik's take on Frozen, but I highly recommend it. She and her sons weren't fans, and she explained why in a post found here. I have a feeling many of the men on this thread will agree, to some extent, with her point of view.

Also, I wanted to say that while I think it's interesting to hear a take on this film exclusively from men, I don't think at all that Frozen is a film meant primarily for girls or women, nor should it be regarded as such. I suppose some of the earlier princess films are pretty female-oriented, like Cinderella and Snow White, but I think Frozen definitely has appeal for both genders. There are plenty of men out there who go "gaga" for it, and with good reason.

To guys on here who are reading these opinions but haven't seen it themselves, I implore you to give it a chance! It truly is not just a girly princess movie, and there's a good possibility you might love it. (I would also implore you to keep an open mind if you do see it -- which is crucial, I think, to enjoying a film, no matter the subject.)

Brave is unique for having a princess with no love interest and being about the mother daughter relationship. And it is full of clichés, just different ones. Scottish men are brutish oafs without manners, is one.

I realized the Scottish men cliché of Brave, but I didn't count it when considering the most unique Disney princess film due to the fact that that particular cliché, while tired and irritating and stereotypical, is not explicitly a fairy tale cliché.

In other words, the only clichés I counted when deciding which Disney princess film I found most unique were clichés that are naturally associated with fairy tales and the like; the Scottish men cliché is not generally used in fairy tales, and therefore I didn't take it into consideration. (Many of Brave's weaker, overused bits also fall into this category.)

Frozen's clichés were more glaring and harder to overlook because they, on the other hand, directly correlate to the fairy tale genre. I won't get into that, though, as it would take too long and honestly be terribly boring! :rotfl2: Besides, I'm sure you get the idea.

BUT, Frozen breaks so many rules! Two princesses, they are sisters and the two protagonists, not just breaking the "true love's kiss" troupe, but turning on it's head and making it the BIG twist! Sacrificial love, prince is the bad guy, broadway style music.

Frozen having two protagonists is entirely unique, I'll give you that.

It isn't, of course, the first movie to explore sister princesses. Ariel had several sisters in The Little Mermaid; Cinderella also famously had Drizella and Anastasia, although they were technically stepsisters and evil. The most notable difference is that these sisters were mere background characters and not dual protagonists like with Frozen.

As for the sacrificial love, this theme has been explored countless times in both Disney princess films, and just Disney films. (One instance that immediately comes to mind is -- SPOILER ALERT!!! -- Flynn sacrificing himself at the end of Tangled out of his love for Rapunzel, thereby securing Rapunzel's freedom but losing his own life... until, of course, she ended up "reviving" him. But I digress...)

The prince being the bad guy is more unique, but not entirely so. It's pretty original for Disney, but if we look at all fairy tale/princess films and stories, this concept has played out many times before. It certainly is not a Disney film, but Prince Charming in the Shrek series was a villain; many of the princes or male love interests in the original fairy tales that the Disney films are based off also were a bit devious, and sometimes even evil. In one version of Sleeping Beauty, the sleeping princess is even raped by her supposed knight in shining armor, and rape plays a common theme in many other fairy tales -- some tellings of Beauty and the Beast see Beauty getting raped by the Beast, for one example.

But like I said, it is new territory as far as Disney goes -- they're just a bit behind on the trend.

Lastly, the Broadway-style music is not unique at all to Frozen. Many, even most, Disney films include a Broadway-style soundtrack. Disney films were originally made to basically be Broadway productions but told through animation; Frozen is just the latest example of that.

One thing that sets Frozen apart, however, is that its voice cast is comprised largely of Broadway talent, which many Disney films lack. That's pretty neat.

The main princess has no love interest at all. It isn't even mentioned, not rejected, but rather not even mentioned!

I agree here. Another thing I love about Elsa is that she never even flirts (no pun intended) with the idea of romance. Obviously she has bigger things to worry about, but still! That's hugely original as far as both Disney princess movies and fairy tales in general go.

(I seriously hope that when Disney inevitably creates a sequel to Frozen, they don't give Elsa a love interest. It wouldn't be horrible if they did, don't get me wrong, but it sure would be more unique if they didn't. Just sayin'.)

I do love Tangled. It is a great movie. But Frozen is going to be considered one of Disney's greatest ever in 10 years.

That's true, although I don't think that means much. There are plenty of films considered some of Disney's best or classic Disney that I personally can't stand, but the masses seem to enjoy. Similarly, wonderful films -- like The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is phenomenal, The Rescuers, Kim Possible in the TV field (which has largely been overshadowed by the vastly inferior, repetitive and juvenile Phineas & Ferb), and even, to a lesser extent, Tangled -- are, for the most part, overlooked despite being real gems.

Frozen deserves to be considered a great Disney film, in my opinion. But one of the best? I don't think so, no. I think it and Tangled are about even, and neither of them are Disney's very best -- but are both, without question, very special, entertaining, endearing and well-written movies with spectacular animation and great songs. But Disney's done better -- at least in my opinion.

THANK YOU! I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! Enough with the crudeness to be cool. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy, except for they had to include some crude language and cursing to be "rebellious."

Wonderful to hear from someone that agrees! Most adults have a shockingly high tolerance for crude humor, which always surprises me. Even as a child, I could barely stand it -- ironic, considering that very humor was put in mainly to appeal to someone my age. And it did, in all fairness; I was just an exception.

I generally used to prefer older Disney classics, such as Peter Pan (which I still love, although now I cringe a little at the racist portrayal of Native Americans, which used to go right over my head), Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, The Aristocats and the like because none of them really featured crude humor. I still prefer older Disney films for this same reason, as well as the stunning hand drawn animation that is sadly becoming obsolete in today's CGI-dominated world, the arguably superior voice talent (when will Disney learn that just because someone is a celebrity does not necessarily mean their voice is superior to that of an average person?), and the lack of innuendo... which, admittedly, Disney doesn't do too much of, but nevertheless.

I'm honestly shocked at some of the material that makes its way into DreamWorks' films! I know that it's meant to appeal to adults, the same way crudeness is to appeal to young kids, but seriously? At a certain point, it just becomes too adult and inappropriate, even if most of it does go over children's heads. You wouldn't find anywhere near that much, and that obvious, innuendo in older Disney movies -- not that those movies are without their flaws.

Wow! That was a tangent, wasn't it? Getting back on track...

Frozen is one of the greatest of all time. But I think Tangled and Brave were right up there as some of the best. I liked Princess and the Frog, too. Beauty and the Beast is great. Lion King is good.

If I were to rank those particular films from best to worst (not that any of them were outright "bad," but still)...

1. The Lion King
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Frozen
3. Tangled (it's tied with Frozen -- I honestly can't choose which is better, as they both excel in different areas and are entertaining for different reasons)
4. Brave (I really didn't like Brave at all, but I put it above The Princess and the Frog due to the originality and overall cleverness and realism of the Merida character)
5. Princess and the Frog

...just my opinion, of course. ;)

I like to think about movies after I have watched them and see what I can see in them. Sometimes my mind sees things while I am watching the movie but mostly observations come later.

Mmm. I do this, too, but to a lesser extent. Most of your observations about Frozen were truly unique, which means a lot as that film has been picked apart all across the Internet and I've read many takes on it. You were really spot-on.

I really enjoy talking about movies and hearing what others see in them. I liked Brave better than the Princess and the Frog and Wreck it Ralph better than Tangled (more comedy in WIR). I try to listen close to the words to songs, even the chosen background music, and to any subtle one liners that may open up a side of the character not overtly (or even intentionally) presented. But always remember that whatever the characters do or say is because that is the way the writers wrote it, and not of any real free will on the part of the characters.

That's very interesting. I tend to go over, pick apart, and read into films with varying degrees of success as well, though I do so by looking more into the psyche of the characters and trying to find psychological undertones, et cetera. The minds of fictional characters and finding realism in them, and their subconscious, is my big, weird interest when it comes to films. I don't think I've ever paid much mind to the music when doing this, or one-liners (unless they're particularly deep, revealing, or, simply put, obvious), or song lyrics.

I love how your process works, and I truly did thoroughly enjoy, and agree, with your take on Frozen. Thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup2

Final note: Apologies if there's a gazillion typos. I usually proofread my posts several times before submitting, but I'm in a rush. Please ignore any mistakes you may find. :blush:

I think that you'll be let down nine times out of ten when you decided to see a movie because everyone else is seeing it, so you expect it to be great. In general I think that when a movie is wildly popular, it's not because it's better than other movies but because it appeals to more people than other movies.

Frozen is probably not significantly better than other princess movies (or Disney fairytale movies in general), but almost all the others were about a young princess in a romance with a prince. This one was about two sisters who love each other, which little girls related to more readily. That plus the popular music, and the appeal of the super powered queen, made it a smash hit.

I also think a lot of people tend to gloss over the flaws of their old favorites when they compare new movies to them. Did you think The Sword in the Stone really told a good story? It was based on the first section of T. H. White's The Once and Future King, but cut off just as the Arthurian Legend story was about to get started, so it was basically just about a boy running around in the woods with a wizard to no real end. I enjoy it all the same, but I don't think it (or most other Disney classics) stands up to the kind of scrutiny that Frozen seems to attract from some long time Disney fans.

I'm in the "good, not great" group. It deserves credit where credit is due....but I feel like it's getting a bit too much credit. The jingles are fun and catchy, and the characters are marketable to the princess crowd. I feel like the main problem is the culture of the target audience these days. This is not Disney's fault, but they're also not helping it. It seems like parents these days are controlled by the kids, and not the other way around like when some of us were younger. Whatever the fad is, parents will buy it up these days, and Frozen is the hottest ticket in town right now. So the popularity isn't coming from critical acclaim like Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King, but it's coming from enabling parents who will fork money hand over fist for more Frozen merch, and Disney is more than happy to oblige.

So the popularity isn't coming from critical acclaim like Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King, but it's coming from enabling parents who will fork money hand over fist for more Frozen merch, and Disney is more than happy to oblige.

The most common phrase I saw in the reviews before ever seeing the movie (or any of the hysteria began) was "Disney's best since Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King." It's not true that it did not receive critical acclaim.

The most common phrase I saw in the reviews before ever seeing the movie (or any of the hysteria began) was "Disney's best since Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King." It's not true that it did not receive critical acclaim.

I never said it didn't get any critical acclaim. I said that's not where it's popularity is coming from.

I never said it didn't get any critical acclaim. I said that's not where it's popularity is coming from.

You're saying it's popular because kids are more spoiled these days? What does that mean? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter