Question re: having to cut trip short due to family death.

ErinsMommy

She believed she could, so she did
we purchased insurance and I believe they cover if we have to cancel trip before we leave but what if we're already there?? Im of course praying nothing happens but just trying to be prepared and know what to do if something does. Also does Disney try and assist with necessary flight change or we call airline directly? Thanks!

My last trip was cut short when my DD was hospitalized at home. I contacted the airline directly to change my flight - it was on Southwest so there were no change fees. I just went back to the hotel and told Disney that I had to leave early. There were no issues. They were great. BTW, I did not have trip insurance.

Another trip years ago, there was a death in the family days before we were scheduled to leave. Disney was able to change our hotel dates. We flew down the day after the funeral. Again, no trip insurance that time either.

Hoping for an uneventful trip this time :)

Most trip interruption insurance will refund the unused portion of your trip if you have to return home early.

If you booked the flight through Disney, give them a call as they will need to help with a flight change. If you booked on your own, simply call the airline and they can help you with the flight change. I would read over your insurance documents to see what is covered and keep receipts for everything you needed to pay for due to the trip interruption.

I have a similar problem. I don't leave for 4 weeks, though. I try to be a positive person, but I have been on a bad luck streak since January 2016. Last year, we caught Hurricane Matthew, but I'd take that again over what is happening now.

@erinsmom Don't worry about the resort charges; insurance will pick it up if the resort doesn't. In terms of air, you would contact the Disney Travel Company about airfare if they booked your flights.

The best answer comes from whom you used for the insurance purchase - I would suggest making a phone call at an early and quiet moment

The insurance company's policies might not also meet your own personal thoughts or needs. Nuclear family vs extended - 'you should probably be here' vs ... this is one of the main reasons I don't purchase insurance - if one of my older aunts' health was in jeopardy, I would want to cut my trip short and that is often not covered.
The earlier you make contact and find out the possible paths, the better - knowledge is leverage - sometimes the worst case scenario you build in your head is way worse than anything in reality - our imagination is sometimes our worst enemy

My sister had to cut short a Caribbean vacation while 2 of us had to make difficult decisions and have hard conversations in the ER about our Mom - she made the trip knowing that our mother was not in good health - she took the risk and it didn't work - but, I personally think my mother felt the tension when 2 out of 4 of us would need to cut their trip short Or the 4th lived a few hours away - I believe our mother felt the time wasn't right and she rallied (the doctors and nurses told us it was a matter of hours, we didn't just call my sister back because we thought she should be there)

My sister cut her trip short, but ultimately it wasn't necessary. She will always say that she is glad she did - better she had the opportunity to say goodbye too soon , than to be just another person at the funeral

I hope for you that you get to enjoy your vacation. I would make a phone call so that you know the consequences of your specific worst case scenario. Knowing the facts, make your decision - only you know your family dynamics.

I wish your family the best - I know how long and carefully you have been planning your trip.

As the saying goes 'plan for the worst, and hope for the best'. I'm hoping for the best

Last edited:

We experienced the same situation this summer with my grandfather and I understand what you are going through. No advice, just more thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

If you booked your flight through Disney, you should call them, but if not you will need to contact the airline. If you have insurance, make sure you go over the insurance contract to see what it may cover.

we purchased insurance and I believe they cover if we have to cancel trip before we leave but what if we're already there?? Im of course praying nothing happens but just trying to be prepared and know what to do if something does. Also does Disney try and assist with necessary flight change or we call airline directly? Thanks!

The only people that can answer this are you after reading through all links and pdfs you got during the insurance buying process AND the reps st the insurance agency.

Read, and call to get answers. Did you purchase a policy that covers pre existing conditions? Does it cover if only certain people are ill or...? Who do you call with a sudden need?

We can't answer specifics at all.

The only people that can answer this are you after reading through all links and pdfs you got during the insurance buying process AND the reps st the insurance agency.

Read, and call to get answers. Did you purchase a policy that covers pre existing conditions? Does it cover if only certain people are ill or...? Who do you call with a sudden need?

We can't answer specifics at all.

this is whatever trip insurance Disney offered at the time we booked. i dont recall getting anything specific from them, but its possible we did and we just put it aside.

Over the years we've been in a similar situation twice, and both times we've been kept ignorant -- which was the kindest thing, given the circumstances:

- We went to Florida (Seaworld actually, not Disney) for a short vacation, and my grandfather died suddenly on our last full day of vacation. My mother chose NOT to call us. As soon as we got home, she told us everything, and we had to hurry to prepare for the funeral, which was the very next day. However, by NOT telling us, we were able to enjoy our last full day of vacation and drive home with a calm mind. We could not have done anything to help my grandfather, and his funeral was pre-planned.

- We took our two nephews on a cruise. When we returned to the US, we called the boys' parents as soon as we disembarked, loaded the car, and made it to the interstate. Their parents told us that the boys' grandfather had died the day before, and they asked us not to tell them. What would have been the point? To make them cry in their last few hours with their cousins and be unhappy on the long drive home?

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. If you can do something, great -- go home -- but so often, your presence makes no real difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter