Questions about driving from Philly to WDW

Kim&Chris

DIS Veteran
We're seriously considering driving to WDW in the beginning of December.

However, we're having some problems deciding whether or not to drive straight-thru, or to stop somewhere along the way (like GA or SC).

For any of you that have done this, can you give me your opinions? Also, if you have stopped along the way, can you recommend a nice hotel?

We personally haven't tried this, so take my input with a grain of salt!;) We've considered driving (southern NJ), but my husband would only do it if I agree that we'd drive straight through (we have two young daughters, and I don't think it would be fair to them to be confined to a car for that long).
My concern is that we'd be so exhausted that we'd waste an entire day in WDW just recovering from the drive.
If you have the extra time, my advice would be to stay overnight somewhere. If you belong to AAA, they can plan it out for you very easily and suggest places for you to stay overnight. I'd love to know what you decide!

We have driven from the Allentown area a couple of times but flew the last 2 times we went. What we did when we drove 5 years ago (kids were 4 and 2) was we left at about 2 AM and drove to the Smyrna, Georgia area. We got there around 4 or 5 PM. We grabbed some supper and went swimming. Got to bed early. Got up and on the road by about 8AM and were in Disney by noon. The stop over in Georgia allows the kids to get some energy burned up by swimming and a good nights rest refreshes the grownups.

If I had my preference I'd fly, but it isn't really that bad doing it that way if you drive.

Good Luck!

We almost always drive to WDW & don't mind it. We have stopped along I95 at some very nice Hampton Inns (Florence, SC; Richmond Hills, GA; someplace in NC, etc.). They are clean, we feel safe & you get a continental breakfast starting about 6 a.m. On our last drive we stoipped both coming & going at Clark's Inn in Santee, SC. It is family owned, & there is a restaurant in front of the motel. Have fun!

Since we are retired we drive down twice a year, we leave around 5AM and drive to St.Marys GA stay at the Country Inn & Suites, very niceplace, there is also a Best Western & Hampton Inn they are all great places to stay, and all have a continental breakfast. We usually arrive there about 6PM, this is exit 3, just 3 miles from the Florida state line. The next day it takes about 4 to 5 hours to WDW, once you get past DC the drive is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter