Questions re:first trip to DL

VernRDH

Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mi
Hi-

We (DH, myself and DD6) are considering a trip to DL in Dec. 2007 (specifically the week of Christmas). We are WDW experts, having been a number of times, but know very little about DL. Here are some of our questions:

How long does it usually take to see all that both parks have to offer? 3 days, 4???

What other attractions etc do you recommend in the area? I know KBF is nearby and it is not too far to SD Zoo etc.

What Good Neighbor hotel would you recommend in the deluxe/suites category? I am not interested in a cheap place to crash, but a nice, clean hotel with amenities. I am not really thrilled with the 3 "on site" choices as they seem much more expensive.

Any other info that might help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Veronica

If you want to see everything, at least 4 as that's a pretty busy week. Get to the parks early, make use of FP, etc...

VernRDH said:
How long does it usually take to see all that both parks have to offer? 3 days, 4???

Usually? 3 days. The week of Christmas might need an extra day though.

We just got back from a trip to DL. We were at the parks for four days. We did just about everything that we wanted to do. Skipped a few things and some were closed (POTC). Four days was just right.

Veronica:

I am a DLR vet on my first WDW trip at this moment. I am planning to write up a guide to DLR for WDW vets and post it here in a week or two so keep an eye out.

VernRDH said:
Yes, three or four. The answer depends on how many parades and shows you want to see. If you can spend four days, especially with the crowds that will exist at that time, you will be better off.

Absolutely, positively see the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks/laser/special effects show. I just saw Wishes at MK a couple nights ago, and enjoyed it. But Remember is way beyond that. You have to see it to understand how awesome this special 50th celebration show is.

VernRDH said:
What other attractions etc do you recommend in the area? I know KBF is nearby and it is not too far to SD Zoo etc.
If you are planning some extra time, then here are options to extend your stay:

- Hollywood
- Universal Studios
- Sea World
- San Diego Zoo
- Knotts Berry Farm
- Wild Animal Park (in North SD - related to the SD Zoo - a lesser version of AK when I was there 15 years ago)

Plus a host of other things like Mission San Juan Capistrano, the La Brea Tar Pits, La Jolla in San Diego, etc.

VernRDH said:
What Good Neighbor hotel would you recommend in the deluxe/suites category? I am not interested in a cheap place to crash, but a nice, clean hotel with amenities. I am not really thrilled with the 3 "on site" choices as they seem much more expensive.
I like this map of local hotels:

http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

One of the big differences between WDW and DLR is that you can remove transportation from the equation - and you should. Just stay at a nearby hotel - a DLR hotel or a good neighbor - and walk. The good neighbor hotels on Harbor are as close as a one minute walk to the DLR entrance and 5-7 minutes to the DLR gates.

When we went early August 2005, we parked our car on day 1 and never got in a car, bus, tram, or anything other than our feet for four days. You can walk to DL and DCA, as well as DTD. Just stay as close as possible.

We stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn twice in 2005, and that worked for us. Nothing fancy, but close to DLR (as close as you get, BTW)and clean. We have stayed at the DL PP hotel in the past and found that we use the hotel only for sleeping and it is not worth it for us - if we are awake we are at the parks.

VernRDH said:
Any other info that might help would be greatly appreciated.
If you are ride warrior of any stripe and know how to use WDW FastPass (FP) note that the DLR FP system works similarly but has idiosyncracies that differ from WDW and are worth understanding. I explained the DLR FP system here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132

Lots of folks on DIS DL have found my link above to be the best info on DLR FP available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter