Quick and dirty Tokyo DisneySea trip report

mjantz

DIS Veteran
Hello. We only spent 1 day in the park but it was definitely an adventure. Here's a short trip report.

Details: 4 of us. 2 parents & 2 kids (19 & 16). Kids know a little Japanese but parents know none. We like Disney but wouldn't call ourselves Superfans. We went on July 14th, 2017.

We started out a little later than planned so we didn't get there before rope drop. I went to get us FastPasses for Tower of Terror and the rest of the family went to get in line for the new Nemo and Friends Searider ride. One huge disappointment for us was that Journey to the Center of the Earth was closed for planned maintenance. The line for Nemo was the longest of the day. The ride was very cute but, given that we don't speak Japanese, we didn't truly follow the story. After that we stopped for a Ukiwah bun. It was OK but not our favorite. Really cute packaging though.
Next was Tower of Terror. Again, great although we couldn't understand what was really happening. No one offered us an English translation and I forgot to ask.
We lunched at NY Deli. Nice portions and the food was good. I got the Stella Lou dessert which came with a little mug you could keep (I did). We walked around other areas and then set up to watch the Pirates of the Caribbean show that was in the harbor. It was a long wait and our view wasn't excellent but it did give us time to try a few more snacks (sea salt ice cream and the alien mochi) and do a little shopping.
After the show we headed to 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea (and get a Gyoza dog/YUM!) and then into the Arabian area to see Sinbads Storybook Voyage. It was SO cute. I loved Chandu and I wish I could download the song.
We decided to get dinner at Miguel's Cantina. Being from TX we found it not the best Mexican food but it was good and the portions were a great size.
We wandered around awhile longer and were thrilled to stumble upon the new Stella Lou show 'Steps to Shine'. Our viewing location wasn't great but I was just happy to see even part of it.

We left after dark and took the monorail and then the subways home. It was a great day, despite the language barrier.

We've talked about returning to Tokyo in a few years. If we do we will definitely go in December when its cooler. The humidity just about did us all in.

How cool that your kids speak some Japanese! It sounds like you got a nice intro to the parks. You should definitely return in a few years and make time for Disneyland too. I can vouch that May is a good time of year weather and crowd wise. :)

Unfortunately as a teacher, May is off the table. If I don't want to go in the summer I pretty much have to go over Winter Break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!