Quick Cali Grill Dining Review

exwdwcm

wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling
well had to travel down to Tampa last week on business for the Special Operations Forces show. I convinced my friend and coworker to drive up to Orlando with me to have drinks and do dinner. So we made the hour long drive to Orlando with a quick stop at the outlet mall and then Downtown disney where we both enjoyed a drink from the margarita bar.

Next stop was the Contemporary, we had no ADRs, since this was a spur of the moment decision to drive up. We checked on availability and they offered the bar/lounge area, which we were fine with. We decided to take the monorail around first though, as my friend has never set foot on any disney property. We did the Epcot monorail and then back to the TTC and through the resort loop. Quick stops at Poly for a drink (that lava pina colada was heaven!) and then the GF for another drink and we were then ready for dinner. It was about 8pm.

I realized WISHES was at 10pm, so we stretched out our dinner and our waitess helped. We immediately grabbed a primo spot in the lounge right by the window and enjoyed a beautiful sunset with storms and lightning in the far distance. Mo was our waitress. My friend enjoyed the sushi sampler and ate every last bite, saying it was fabulous. I had a cheese platter with 3 selections, i know one was the queso, one was the bleu cheese and one was the messo I believe. All very good.

I am a big 'meat and potatoes' type of girl, and love the filet here, but just had steak the night before. I am not a very exotic eater, I am in fact very picky, I don't eat salad or seafood of any type. told you I was picky! I have read the pork loin is good, so I went for it. The cheese polenta with it was excellent, I could have eaten 2 more helpings of it! The pork was also very good, but too underdone for my liking. I was already full as it was, so I didn't send it back. My friend enjoyed more sushi for her dinner and finished all 10 pieces! Again, loved it. Then, trying to stretch out our time for WISHES, we ordered dessert. We shared the chocolate molten cake with cherry ice cream and raspberry sauce. It was delicious, but so rich, we couldn't finish it between the two of us and we were so stuffed.

We caught the electrial water pagenant making its rounds as we finished up dinner.

We did manage to catch WISHES with a great view. I am disappointed they don't turn off the lights like they used to, but I understand the reasoning. They did dim them some, but just barely. I could still see quite a reflection of the restaurant in the window that I had to look past. We didn't go out on the viewing deck since we were enjoying our dessert. We even got to see Tinkerbell fly. They did have the music piped in, but it wasn't loud enough to hear it very clearly.

Overall a wonderful meal and experience. My friend was very impressed with the view, the service and the food. Again CG is one of my favorites, especially when its a meal I get to expense and have the company pay for! :banana: :wizard: We finally made it back to Tampa about 11:30pm, but well worth the trip!

Thanks for the review. We have ressies for the first time in August and I can't wait. We've been to DW so many times, but always seemed to pass up CG, but not this time. :goodvibes Glad you enjoyed it!!!

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the review - my girls really want to try the Cali Grill but purely for the kids sushi rice krispie dessert - not sure whether it would be worth it just for that :rotfl:

wilma-bride said:
Thanks for the review - my girls really want to try the Cali Grill but purely for the kids sushi rice krispie dessert - not sure whether it would be worth it just for that :rotfl:
it's actually a great idea to just go do dessert and enjoy the view or fireworks! :cool1: :goodvibes

My husband and I did the California Grill when we went in April, had a FABULOUS dinner, and watched the Wishes fireworks. We can't wait to go back! I recommend it to everyone!

Thanks for the review. We always eat at CG on our trips. We will be eating there again on our upcomming trip in October. :)

Great review. I must be the only person that did not have a good meal at this place. Maybe we will have to try it again.

Can anyone recommend an entree at Cali Grill. We aren't really steak lovers but we do have an ADR there in Oct. Also, is the Electric Water Pageant before Wishes or after. Wishes is at 9pm the night we are going. Is EWP on every night?

just made an ADR there in sept when me and my DH take a solo trip without the kids!!! A friend at work suggested it and got a time close enough that we may see the fireworks at the end of the meal ....looking forward to eating there in september

Thank you for the review. I believe I have decided on Cali Grill for a 2 credit DDP dinner with my mother on our trip, but like always I keep second guessing myself (I want everything to be so perfect on this trip).

So happy to hear that you had a good meal there. I was there a few weeks back and ordered the filet mignon rare. When it came well done and I sent it back, I waited an hour and never got a replacement and the manager could offer no explanation other than an apology.

sjpvac said:
So happy to hear that you had a good meal there. I was there a few weeks back and ordered the filet mignon rare. When it came well done and I sent it back, I waited an hour and never got a replacement and the manager could offer no explanation other than an apology.
I had that happen at Concourse Steakhouse!! Awful, awful!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter