Quick question about buying a Disney AP

MrConbon

Earning My Ears
I'm planning on buying a Disney annual pass on the MDE app on my phone. So I assume the pass would automatically be linked to my account that way.

I'm not planning on going to the parks till the end of July though. Will my annual pas "start" once I use it the first time or when I buy it?

Also when would I get my magic band? A few weeks after I purchase it tonight or a few weeks after I use it in the parks?

Thanks!

Your AP starts when you come to a ticket window and activate it.

In general, passholder MagicBands can be requested after the APs are activated.

Your AP won't start until it's used at a gate.

You should get your AP a few weeks after paying for the AP.

The Ap magicband will pop up and be customizable once you go to the park and activate your AP. Once customized it usually ships out the next day so you'll receive about a week after you activate your pass

Sorry, but that's not exactly true.

It's true of regular tickets,
but APs must be activated at a ticket booth or guest relations, fully independent of the park gates.

but APs must be activated at a ticket booth or guest relations, fully independent of the park gates.

That's true, but let's be honest 99.9% of people activate their AP at Guest Services and use it the same day to get into a park.

What about when you renew AP? Do you have to go to guest relations? We have not renewed APs ever - for some reason we have purchased them and then let them expire because we weren't going to use them the next year that much. but this is the first year that we renewed them. Thanks.

You should get your AP a few weeks after paying for the AP.

You actually won't have the option to customize your AP MagicBand until after you activate your pass, not when you pay for it. It will be shipped shortly after that.

Which means that for the first visit with the AP (assuming you enter the park when you activate), you will have to use the AP card or a MagicBand from an earlier trip or that you purchase.

What about when you renew AP? Do you have to go to guest relations? We have not renewed APs ever - for some reason we have purchased them and then let them expire because we weren't going to use them the next year that much. but this is the first year that we renewed them. Thanks.

You do not have to go to guest relations when you renew it is auto applied so you can just walk right up to the gate. Also, the expiration of your pass is based off the activation date of your original ticket. For example, if your pass expires on 6/30, you do not extend your expiration by waiting until 7/30 to renew

Last edited:
You do not have to go to guest relations when you renew. Also, the expiration of your pass is based off the activation date of your original ticket. For example, if your pass expires on 6/30, you do not extend your expiration by waiting until 7/30 to renew

Thank you for the info. Yes I know about renewing up to 30 days after. We renewed early this year - but in the past we would let the AP go for 6 months or so because it didn't pay for us to renew. We would just purchase new ones. Thanks again.

Can you apply it to an existing magic band. My wife and I are going in the fall and plan on getting APs. Since we live out of state we won't get our bands until we come back. I do however have 5 magic bands attached to my name.

That's true, but let's be honest 99.9% of people activate their AP at Guest Services and use it the same day to get into a park.

I was being honest.

I totally agree with @Robo.
I don't get your point.

Can you apply it to an existing magic band. My wife and I are going in the fall and plan on getting APs. Since we live out of state we won't get our bands until we come back. I do however have 5 magic bands attached to my name.
KO
They are added to your MDE Account not your Magic Band. Your Magic Band is like your debit card and MDE is like your bank account. Your current Magic Band accesses your MDE account which will have your AP

You sure can. Bring it with you when you go to Guest Relations to activate your pass. Afterwards, you can use MDE to link whichever band you want to your pass

You sure can. Bring it with you when you go to Guest Relations to activate your pass. Afterwards, you can use MDE to link whichever band you want to your pass

No need to bring the band with you, and you don't link a band to any particular ticket or pass.

As long as a MagicBand is active in MDE, it will work to access the information in MDE. That's why you can have multiple MagicBands that work interchangeably.

No need to bring the band with you, and you don't link a band to any particular ticket or pass.

As long as a MagicBand is active in MDE, it will work to access the information in MDE. That's why you can have multiple MagicBands that work interchangeably.

This!

Nothing, repeat nothing, is actually attached to any Magic Band (unless you want to count sliders or other cosmetic do-dads). Everything is stored in your MDE account - tickets, room access, FP+, dining credits, charging privileges; Everything. Your magic band is nothing more than an access key to your MDE account. There can be multiple keys to that account, which is why multiple MBs can be used interchangeably.

Steve

Well you have to bring your band with you if you want to use it to enter the park

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!