Quick weekend trip- would you do it?

jpwilson

Earning My Ears
The husband and I have a weekend coming up in March when in-laws have asked fo take our boys (ages 5 & 1) to the beach for a few days. I was able to snag a Priceline express deal for Allstar Sports for less than $100/night and book nonstop fights using reward points. I have been going back and forth on keeping or canceling this trip because 1) I don’t want to break my 5 year old’s heart when I tell him we are going to Disney without him (the 1 year old won’t understand the betrayal yet 🙃) and 2) it will mean arriving at MCO around 7 pm on Friday and leaving around 4 pm on Sunday. To throw a another wrench in things, I was able to score a California Grill Sunday brunch reservation and my husband has been eyeing Cali Grill dining reviews for weeks. We would also love to try Topolino or Jiko on this trip.

Would you take a short, adults-only, non-park weekend trip?? Help! :)

The husband and I have a weekend coming up in March when in-laws have asked fo take our boys (ages 5 & 1) to the beach for a few days. I was able to snag a Priceline express deal for Allstar Sports for less than $100/night and book nonstop fights using reward points. I have been going back and forth on keeping or canceling this trip because 1) I don’t want to break my 5 year old’s heart when I tell him we are going to Disney without him (the 1 year old won’t understand the betrayal yet 🙃) and 2) it will mean arriving at MCO around 7 pm on Friday and leaving around 4 pm on Sunday. To throw a another wrench in things, I was able to score a California Grill Sunday brunch reservation and my husband has been eyeing Cali Grill dining reviews for weeks. We would also love to try Topolino or Jiko on this trip.

I've flown down from Virginia for one and two night trips. Even took a bus for 13 hours once. If you can make it work, go for it. No need to tell your five year old either, just let him have time with his grandparents.

Not only would I do it, I have done it several times. Now, granted, I live in Atlanta, so it's either a not-so-bad drive or a cheap and quick flight away from me, but it's certainly doable.

I would. I have. I will. (Veni, vidi, Disni).
Do you have a family trip planned or at least theorized for some time in the not too distant future? Then you level with the 5 year old in language he can understand. You are taking this opportunity, when grand-folks want to take him to the beach, to meet with Mickey Mouse and assorted Disney officials, Princesses, Stormtroopers, etc... to discuss activities he will be doing on this upcoming vacation. Disney likes to get these things just right and sometimes that means Mum and Dad have to go there in person to set them right on things. Otherwise, how will you know what restaurants serve food he won't like or what rides are too scary?

Good luck. And, Cali Grill is a must do for us on every trip.

The shortest trip to Disney for me has been a 4pm arrival on Friday with a 7am departure on Sunday. It wasn’t worth the 6 hour flight each way. But if I have just one more day I think it’s worth it. Maybe if I had a shorter flight, or maybe that extra half day for that yummy brunch...

I would not do it. From where I am at, it is just too far for really 1.25 park days. I would take advantage of the free time doing or going somewhere else closer to home.

I agree no need to tell the 5 year old anything! It would be a bit short for me (and I would NEVER go to a Disney resort without hitting the parks), but it sounds like you would have fun, so why not?

Heck yeah! I'd do it in a heartbeat! You are getting a couple of days away at an awesome resort, with some fun park time thrown in. You deserve to have adult time, and couple time - I strongly believe that makes you a better parent/employee/boss/volunteer/everything. Anything that brings fun and joy and relaxation into your life is a good thing.

At worst, think of it as a scouting mission for your next trip with your child. "yep, Kid wouldn't enjoy the mimosas at brunch. Make a point to order Kid plain orange juice. Hmm - maybe should try the other flavors just to make sure Kid wouldn't like those either..."

I would. I have. I will. (Veni, vidi, Disni).
Do you have a family trip planned or at least theorized for some time in the not too distant future? Then you level with the 5 year old in language he can understand. You are taking this opportunity, when grand-folks want to take him to the beach, to meet with Mickey Mouse and assorted Disney officials, Princesses, Stormtroopers, etc... to discuss activities he will be doing on this upcoming vacation. Disney likes to get these things just right and sometimes that means Mum and Dad have to go there in person to set them right on things. Otherwise, how will you know what restaurants serve food he won't like or what rides are too scary?

Good luck. And, Cali Grill is a must do for us on every trip.

🤣😃 I love it! We live in NC so our nonstop flight will be around 1.5 hours so not bad at all. We actually have our first Disneyland trip planned for late April (praying Coronavirus ridiculousness is gone by then!) so I think we may be able to make the “planning” scenario work! Thanks for the insights!

The shortest trip to Disney for me has been a 4pm arrival on Friday with a 7am departure on Sunday. It wasn’t worth the 6 hour flight each way. But if I have just one more day I think it’s worth it. Maybe if I had a shorter flight, or maybe that extra half day for that yummy brunch...
Exactly, the way I see it is we would drive 2-4 hours for a “local” getaway which would last 2 days as well. With a short non-stop flight, my (Disney-addict) brain says it makes sense 🙃☺️. Maybe it’s the idea of bottomless mimosas and delicious sushi swaying me...

Heck yeah! I'd do it in a heartbeat! You are getting a couple of days away at an awesome resort, with some fun park time thrown in. You deserve to have adult time, and couple time - I strongly believe that makes you a better parent/employee/boss/volunteer/everything. Anything that brings fun and joy and relaxation into your life is a good thing.

At worst, think of it as a scouting mission for your next trip with your child. "yep, Kid wouldn't enjoy the mimosas at brunch. Make a point to order Kid plain orange juice. Hmm - maybe should try the other flavors just to make sure Kid wouldn't like those either..."

I agree!! I’m in need of a recharge from my happy place! Thanks for the support! :)

My gf and I do weekend trips often. Granted, we live in Savannah, GA, so it's only a 4.5 hour drive. We'll usually just get a cheap Air BnB unless we can find a good deal on a resort (i.e. cheaper than $150/night). We're going down the first weekend in April for a show at the House of Blues and figured we'd just do Disney too. If you can pull it off, go for it!

Not only would I do it, I have done it several times. Now, granted, I live in Atlanta, so it's either a not-so-bad drive or a cheap and quick flight away from me, but it's certainly doable.
Ditto. I do it basically every other month. I was there the last weekend of January & will be heading back down March 27th. I usually prefer coming home on the first flight Monday morning, so I have all of Saturday & Sunday, but if that flight on Sunday is the only one you could do, you'll still have lots of fun!

Yep I would totally do it and in fact I did it last month for the first time. We got a cheap rate at ASMu and cheap non-stop flights. Our kids are all teens and young adults so they didn't care. It's important to spend time together as a couple. This is just an extra long date night. Do it and have no guilt.

Under those conditions (1.5 hour flight, flights on rewards, hotel $100/night)...yup, I'd go for it! Like you said in another reply, at that point it's not a whole lot more cost or travel time than doing a local weekend getaway, and I think it sounds like a opportunity to have some fun time to yourselves and experience things you wouldn't necessarily do with the kids along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter