• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rain in a tent at FW - I need HELP!!

disneyfreak1

<font color="blue">Willing to tag for tickets</fon
Feb. 28th will be my first camping trip EVER. We will be in a tent and the forecast is showing rain, rain and more rain. What should I do? Should I cancel? My DH is afraid I will never go camping again if we go and it rains the whole time.

We've camped at FW in the rain many times. We always have a screen tent with us, to put over the picnic area. This helps a lot! That way, your coolers and stuff don't get all wet, and you have a dry place to sit (picnic table).

We've never had a problem with the tent leaking at night. Just be sure to sleep in the middle of the tent, and don't touch the sides! It will leak right where you touch it!

Most of the time, you won't get all-day rains. It usually comes through pretty fast.

I would also bring and extra large tarp and plenty of rope to make an additional cover for your tent. There are plenty of trees so you can tie it to them and this should offer you even more protection from the rain.

We tent camped August of 2001 and that is during the rainy season. Even so they had more rain that week than is normal and some severe storms. Even with all the rain and downed branches we survived. ;) The sites are crushed shells/sand mix and drain really well. The CM are also very quick to get to the clean up if needed.

I have said this many times before and I'll repeat it again. I have never had water in my tent this way.

Set up your tent at home before your leave and use seam sealer on all of the seams and spray the entire tent with Scotch Guard and let it dry for several days.

Purchase a sheet of the cheap painters plastic and put that down first.

Purchase a roll of 6 mil plastic. (Wal-Mart paint section)

Cut two pieces out of that exactly fit the bottom of your tent. (If your tent is larger, you may need two rolls of the 6 mil.)

Put one under your tent over the cheap plastic, then put the second sheet inside your tent.

This will most definitely keep water from seeping up from the bottom of your tent onto your stuff.

I also set up a sun/rain fly (Wal-Mart camping section) just over the entrance to the tent so I can get out of my tent without getting wet. I have several "D-rings" hanging from the poles inside the rainfly to hang ponchos/and or my rain suit from, so I don't have to bring those inside the tent. I also have a small rubbermaid bin that sits just outside my tent door for my shoes so those don't come in the tent.

When you break camp, just throw away the cheap painters plastic that has all the sand on it. and shake off the little bit of water that might be on the thicker plastic and fold it up to use again.

Hope this helps!!

The idea about the large tarp is great. When we went this past Aug we had on that covered 2 tents and extended over the sides and the front so we had some room to sit even if it was raining.

I am so glad that you asked this question! I am planning to talk my DH into going to WDW the 1st week in October, and I know that it will be the end of hurricane season and could get some rain. We went to WDW in Dec. and he said not for another 2 years and I figured if we went camping, he would agree b/c he loves to camp and I have been told that it is a nice park. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter