RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

Some airlines make it more difficult. Besides the obvious issues with more time to book, the airline will be less inclined to help a couple as a group if there's a problem. I frankly prefer a single confirmation number, although some airlines like Southwest give a separate confirmation number for each passenger, although I think they allow all passenger on the same reservation to check in together.
Just an FYI, you have some erroneous information in the bolded. I fly Southwest. They do not give separate confirmation numbers for each passenger. I just double checked our flight to MCO on New Years and all 6 of us have the same confirmation number.

Just an FYI, you have some erroneous information in the bolded. I fly Southwest. They do not give separate confirmation numbers for each passenger. I just double checked our flight to MCO on New Years and all 6 of us have the same confirmation number.

I've got an itinerary pulled up from where I save all my travel info on my computer. I'm looking at my booking for Dec 2012 all on the same itinerary, but I see three different confirmation codes. That was the last time I flew Southwest with the family though, so maybe it's changed. Since then I've only flown WN solo on business.

OK, I found copies of the Southwest boarding passes I saved for my MIL and FIL in 2014, and their boarding passes have the same confirmation number. So it changed.

I've stated and restated on this thread that everyone should pay for their own seat & not expect others to give up theirs. The fact that the cost difference between seats can be a lot (yes, we actually have an upcoming American Airlines 3-hour flight that costs $133 plus a $68 seat upgrade) is one of my stated reasons for refusing to be pressured into switching seats.
I agree. I always choose Southwest if that is an option for where we are going. Even though I am eligible to pre-board with our daughter, I always purchase EBCI for the entire family. I could buck the system and pre-board and then just save seats for everyone else. But I feel that is cheating, so I do it the right way and purchase EBCI even for myself and my daughter that pre-boards. After playing by the rules and paying the extra money, it would have to be an extreme case to get anyone of us to give up our seats. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but I would have to evaluate the circumstance.

And having that EBCI helped one time when we had a late flight causing our connection to be perilously close. We boarded dead last. But because I talked to the flight attendants on the late flight about the need to have at least 2 seats together, and I had paid for EBCI, they graciously called ahead and made sure we had what we needed. Boarding dead last, there were two seats with reserved signs on them waiting for us. It was incredibly easy, I just mentioned our situation and they took care of everything else. I am pretty sure they preferred to take care of it before hand than having to ask people to move seats to accommodate someone who needed 2 seats together.

I've got an itinerary pulled up from where I save all my travel info on my computer. I'm looking at my booking for Dec 2012 all on the same itinerary, but I see three different confirmation codes. That was the last time I flew Southwest with the family though, so maybe it's changed. Since then I've only flown WN solo on business.

OK, I found copies of the Southwest boarding passes I saved for my MIL and FIL in 2014, and their boarding passes have the same confirmation number. So it changed.
I just pulled one up for 8 people from 7/13/06. One confirmation number for all 8. Are you sure you are not looking at the account number/rapid rewards number? Those are all different and listed next to each name.

I just pulled one up for 8 people from 7/13/06. One confirmation number for all 8. Are you sure you are not looking at the account number/rapid rewards number? Those are all different and listed next to each name.

I've got all this stuff archived. I mean - I basically save almost everything including confirmations and boarding passes as PDF files for reference.

I'm looking at one for Feb 2012 for my wife and her parents (who were staying with us) to go visit my BIL in Seattle. My kid went as a lap infant. It's all one confirmation email that I saved, but it literally has a different "Air Confirmation" number for each passenger and even repeats the identical itinerary. FWIW - it was booked with points, so the only costs listed are the $2.50 each way fee for a points-only trip. This is what it looks like (with names and ticket numbers blocked out):

Upcoming Trip: 02/04/12 - Seattle

AIR Itinerary

AIR Confirmation: IV6*** Confirmation Date: 01/7/2012

Passenger(s) Rapid Rewards # Ticket # Expiration Est. Points

Earned

[WIFE] - None Entered - ************* Jan 6, 2013 0

Date Flight Departure/Arrival

Sat Feb 4 2120 Depart OAKLAND CA (OAK) at 12:15 PM

Arrive in SEATTLE TACOMA WA (SEA) at 2:15 PM

Travel Time 2 hrs 0 mins

Mon Feb 20 3284 Depart SEATTLE TACOMA WA (SEA) at 3:15 PM

Arrive in OAKLAND CA (OAK) at 5:20 PM

Travel Time 2 hrs 5 mins

Air Cost: $ 5.00

Fare Rule(s): Valid only on Southwest Airlines. All travel involving funds from this Confirmation

Number must be completed by the expiration date. Unused travel funds may only be applied

toward the purchase of future travel for the individual named on the ticket. Any changes to this

itinerary may result in a fare increase.

OAK WN SEA0.00T/TFF WN OAK0.00S/SFF 0.00 END AY5.00$OAK2.50 SEA2.50

Important Check-In Reminder

PHOTO IDENTIFICATION IS REQUIRED. Southwest Airlines Ticketless Travel is

nontransferable. Be sure to arrive at the departure gate with your boarding pass at least 10

minutes before your scheduled departure time. Otherwise, your reserved space may be

cancelled and you won't be eligible for denied booking compensation.

AIR Itinerary

AIR Confirmation: IMH*** Confirmation Date: 01/7/2012

Earned

[MIL] -Non Entered- ************* Jan 6, 2013 0

Travel Time 2 hrs 0 mins

Travel Time 2 hrs 5 mins

Fare Rule(s): 1234 VALID ONLY ON WN

Valid only on Southwest Airlines. All travel involving funds from this Confirmation Number must

be completed by the expiration date. Unused travel funds may only be applied toward the

purchase of future travel for the individual named on the ticket. Any changes to this itinerary may

result in a fare increase.

OAK WN SEA0.00T/TFF WN OAK0.00S/SFF 0.00 END

nontransferable. Be sure to arrive at the departure gate with your boarding pass at least 10

minutes before your scheduled departure time. Otherwise, your reserved space may be

cancelled and you won't be eligible for denied booking compensation.

AIR Itinerary

AIR Confirmation: IC6*** Confirmation Date: 01/7/2012

Earned

[FIL] -Non Entered- ************* Jan 6, 2013 0

Travel Time 2 hrs 0 mins

Travel Time 2 hrs 5 mins

Fare Rule(s): 1234 VALID ONLY ON WN

Valid only on Southwest Airlines. All travel involving funds from this Confirmation Number must

be completed by the expiration date. Unused travel funds may only be applied toward the

purchase of future travel for the individual named on the ticket. Any changes to this itinerary may

result in a fare increase.

OAK WN SEA0.00T/TFF WN OAK0.00S/SFF 0.00 END

cancelled and you won't be eligible for denied booking compensation.​

The purchase confirmation email is shorter though, and lists three different confirmation numbers in a table.

I was thinking that one way to avoid this would be if seating faced sideways and there would be a long row of middle seats. Might not be compliant with safety rules though. Most cars on the Disneyland Railroad have such a seating configuration, although a few face forward.

Sure. I don't see why an airline might not waive the fee in order to be ADA compliant.
MUCH less safe in a crash hard ladning situation----and riding sideways tends to make those prone to motion sickness far more so.

Okay, yes, it's your child. Do you never let your child farther than arm's length from you, ever?
Second, what is your expectation in an emergency when your child is not within your perview and why do you have so little/no faith that anyone physically adjacent to your child not to help in an emergency
Third, about 90% of what people consider stranger danger is actually acquaintance danger.

No, my child is not with me every second of every day. My expectations in an emergent situation when my child is not with me are the exact plans that are outlined in school and extra curricular activities policies. Like I said before, in my line of work, I've seen a lot so my faith and trust in humanity is little. In today's world many people only look out for themselves. As for your third point, it has very little relevance in this situation because like I said, I plan, prepare and pay so my family is seated together. In every other aspect my child is talked to and examples are given.

Yep. DH and I flew SWA last Monday and had the same confirmation number. Makes it much easier to check-in online together.

Yep. DH and I flew SWA last Monday and had the same confirmation number. Makes it much easier to check-in online together.

I'm thinking about it, and the only thing I can think of that was different was that it was a points redemption. I've flown Southwest enough times on business, but they were always solo.

It wasn't even much of a big deal. I remember when I checked in, it automatically asked if I wanted to check in other passengers on the same reservation. The copies of the boarding passes are all multiple pages, since they print out together.

I agree that many airlines are doing everything they can to get every nickle they can out of fliers. Most posters on this thread know that, too. It isn't right, but it's the way many airlines operate now, & fliers have to deal with the realities of current American air travel.

But the issue being discussed on this thread is people being asked to give up seats they paid extra to choose in advance, for the benefit of those who chose not to pay extra in advance. That is simply not fair to those who paid extra for the privilege of sitting in those seats. You've got to admit that.

I agree airlines should have better policies, but pressuring other passengers to give you their premium seating isn't the way to get the airlines to change. Only customer complaints to the airlines, complaints to legislators to lead to & maintain consumer-friendly legislation, & refusal of passengers to fly on non-family-friendly airlines is going to change the airlines' game.

Until the change happens (if ever) those who refuse to pay to ensure their families sit together, while at the same time claiming that their families cannot sit apart, shouldn't fly at all.
I agree, anyone who doesn't want to pay for seat selection has no right to ask others to give up their seat so they can sit together. And notice it's always someone sitting further back doing the asking.

I'm thinking about it, and the only thing I can think of that was different was that it was a points redemption. I've flown Southwest enough times on business, but they were always solo.

It wasn't even much of a big deal. I remember when I checked in, it automatically asked if I wanted to check in other passengers on the same reservation. The copies of the boarding passes are all multiple pages, since they print out together.

Whether you have one conf number for the whole group or individual ones totally depend on how you booked. With the points redemption, you probably booked individual tickets for each person using that person's points. With a regular transaction when you select X number of travels and make one individual payment, you'll get the same confirmation number. Basically, for each time you pay (with points or cc number) you get a new conf number.

I've heard some couples stare down anyone looking to take the empty seat, or make the "interloper" feel unwelcome.

This made me laugh. I commute by public commuter train to Manhattan. When the train is crowded and the only seats left are the middle seats, I always look for the one where the people sitting at the window and aisle seem to know each other. More times than not, the aisle person scoots over and I get the aisle but if not I take the middle seat and deal with it. I've also had times when one person sitting at the window try to save the aisle seat for their spouse by having a bag on the seat. Again, if it is crowded I will tell them I am taking the remaining seat because their spouse (who may or nay not even make the train) is only entitled to one seat. Usually that means I get the aisle seat but again if I get stuck in the middle I don't care if they stare me down. I put my headphones on and ignore them.

We fly the most hated airline in the US regularly...the dreaded Spirit. I have never been split up from my kids. Even now that they are older we always get our three seats together...sometimes DH might be a row behind or one of the kids is with him. Recently did a longer trip on Spirit and I did paid for our seats because I need the aisle since I am 5'10. I can take the cramped seats but I need to stick my legs out occasionally. That said, I am more inclined to pay for seats now. I can't imagine if something went wrong and I wasn't near my babies/now teens. It is worth it to me.

Trigger Warning: for some folks the headline below might possibly cause severe anxiety. Proceed at your own risk....

WSJ Capture.JPG

LOL. I read this article. I do think the airlines have created this problem (by selling "seats") and that's their problem to solve. Stop selling seats OR create a system which automatically refunds (maybe DOUBLE refund) if they are unable for whatever reason to honor the seat charge. You shouldn't have to ask! Good grief.

I'm just excited about the possibility of relaxing on the flight home while a stranger gets to deal with sitting next my inquisitive 6 year old. Is this something we can request at check in?

I'm just excited about the possibility of relaxing on the flight home while a stranger gets to deal with sitting next my inquisitive 6 year old. Is this something we can request at check in?
There are times I would pay extra for that!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter