Rate Increase Coming Now?

We are coming up in our first AP renewal in August. What is an AP voucher? Is that different than just renewing?

So if a buy an AP voucher now but don't activate it until sometime next year, I won't pay any additional price increase when I go to use it?

That's correct. DW and I purchased 4 AP vouchers back in 2011 for $447 each as part of our retirement strategy. Two of these will be activated as a Platinum in Oct for the start of our AP year. If we actually visit a park during our 35 planned days, it would work out to $12.76 per person per day. Best retirement investment we ever made!

We are coming up in our first AP renewal in August. What is an AP voucher? Is that different than just renewing?
A voucher would be the initial purchase. A renewal starts the clock over right away. An initial purchase of an AP gets you a voucher (or online bar code) which then once at the parks activates and your AP "clock" starts.

That's correct. DW and I purchased 4 AP vouchers back in 2011 for $447 each as part of our retirement strategy. Two of these will be activated as a Platinum in Oct for the start of our AP year. If we actually visit a park during our 35 planned days, it would work out to $12.76 per person per day. Best retirement investment we ever made!

Not like you could have known, but if you had bought 20 of them it would have been even better.

Probably no need to increase prices yet, with the rumored incoming pay-for-FP system coming on board this year. Next year after the mob dies down, they can jack up the AP prices.
They have to pay for 50b in Fox acquisition, pay for the failure ESPN, pay for some dud movies, and pay for new rides. You AP folks are some low hanging fruit as you are the most loyal. Plus with so many DVC folks out there, most of which are also AP, makes sense to rob them some more since they are already all-in. I would be shocked if AP rates do not go up before the year is done.

Wow, I'll be buying a few now! How did I miss this?? Is this just for WDW? or is this true for Disneyland also.
I can't find any definitive answer when I search. And thanks everyone for always being so helpful! very much appreciated -- :daisy:
Disneylands AP voucher is usually valid for no more than two years, after which time you would have to pay the difference between what you paid and the current price of the applicable pass.

I called to buy the AP's because I wanted to verify that I understood correctly how the vouchers work.
She said they had to be validated in 2020. I said I didn't think that was true, because I am on this forum and have it from good sources that the expiration date is 2030, which is a place holder date.
She was very nice and asked her supervisor, who also said 2020. Then when I asked her to go a level up and ask another manager, she came back and said I was right. No expiration, 2030 place holder.
So....if you call to buy the AP's make sure you nicely insist that the CM check further. Obviously not everyone knows this...not even the CM's who should!

I called to buy the AP's because I wanted to verify that I understood correctly how the vouchers work.
She said they had to be validated in 2020. I said I didn't think that was true, because I am on this forum and have it from good sources that the expiration date is 2030, which is a place holder date.
She was very nice and asked her supervisor, who also said 2020. Then when I asked her to go a level up and ask another manager, she came back and said I was right. No expiration, 2030 place holder.
So....if you call to buy the AP's make sure you nicely insist that the CM check further. Obviously not everyone knows this...not even the CM's who should!
I think this rule is relatively new, because I know a few years back, you only had two years or so to activate a voucher before it expired, but that was admittedly on a massively discounted AP through DVC.

Not sure how new this rule is, but I thought it odd that not only did she not know, she had to go through two others to verify what I was told here about AP's how long they are valid. It all worked out though. Just wanted to share my experience.

Okay, after talking it over with hubby, we have decided to buy even more AP's since they don't expire and we know we will go enough times to make very good use of them. So we are going to buy a few more as an investment.
My question is, is it correct to link them on MDE and just add them to our names? I mean, will it even let you do that?
Just want to make sure I am doing all this right after spending such a lot of money.
Thanks!

Okay, after talking it over with hubby, we have decided to buy even more AP's since they don't expire and we know we will go enough times to make very good use of them. So we are going to buy a few more as an investment.
My question is, is it correct to link them on MDE and just add them to our names? I mean, will it even let you do that?
Just want to make sure I am doing all this right after spending such a lot of money.
Thanks!

You can do what you said and won't have problems. It's impossible to use the AP vouchers without activating them. The only thing is that you cannot assign more than 1 per transaction to each person.

I link mine in MDE and assign them to 'phantoms'. Like "Phantom Matt" named. And then I dump all my extra vouchers onto them.

Otherwise, keep the email (perhaps in your email account, saved as a PDF, and also a saved printout as well. They can easily find the vouchers using the barcode from the email).

I have a bunch of extra AP vouchers. I did the math the other day on some platinum AP vouchers I bought in October 2017 that I paid $779 for. They are now $894. 15% in 1.5 years is pretty good savings...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!