Re-Routed Due to Hurricane Jerry.

ChicosWife

The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!
My heart was racing when I saw the email from DCL this morning, worried that they had cancelled our cruise. Thankfully, we were only re-routed to a Western itinerary. We can't change our onboard and port excursions until we board, which gives my uber-planning self anxiety! LOL. Hopefully, the Port Adventures desk will open before we leave PC. Can I also change our onboard excursions through there too?

My heart was racing when I saw the email from DCL this morning, worried that they had cancelled our cruise. Thankfully, we were only re-routed to a Western itinerary. We can't change our onboard and port excursions until we board, which gives my uber-planning self anxiety! LOL. Hopefully, the Port Adventures desk will open before we leave PC. Can I also change our onboard excursions through there too?

In my experience, the Port Adventures desk is open boarding starts. I know the Port Adventures desk handled all the ticketed meet and greets before they were available to book online so I'd imagine they would be able to handle changing those onboard type things. Adult dining and beverage tastings may have to be handled at the separate locations listed in the Navigator for those events but you could always ask at the Port Adventures desk since you will be there to change your excursions.

What
What date/cruise was re-routed?

Be thankful the did this before your cruise! You can research it now that you have internet access and pick what might be best. Go to their website and see what port adventures they have and more than likely that's what will be offered. Also announcing it now will stagger people going to the PA desk rather than everyone herding there at once. Also the other added bonus is you will get 4 stops since they switched it already. They did it late in the game for ours during Dorian and we only got Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It is super disappointing I know but you will still have a great time!

Be thankful the did this before your cruise! You can research it now that you have internet access and pick what might be best. Go to their website and see what port adventures they have and more than likely that's what will be offered. Also announcing it now will stagger people going to the PA desk rather than everyone herding there at once. Also the other added bonus is you will get 4 stops since they switched it already. They did it late in the game for ours during Dorian and we only got Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It is super disappointing I know but you will still have a great time!

I like to research the different excursions also. I now look at excursions for other ports and write down a few that I would want to do just in case we were to have our cruise switched after getting on the ship or at the port. We've done 5 cruises so far and luckily we've only had to miss one port. When we got to the port we were given a letter and told that we weren't going to St Maarten due to a storm. We went to CC instead which may it a lot easier since we've been there several times before and don't really need excursions.

In my experience, things don't go as well as some people like to think.

First, when your itinerary is switched from 3 sea days to 2, you will lose all of the onboard entertainment you have booked on the lost sea day. Second, in trying to accommodate you for those is next to impossible, because they are already booked with the lucky passengers whose sea day reservation didn't change.

Also, I never book ship excursions. So to scramble at the last minute and research new ports is near impossible with less than 24 hours notice till I depart my home. I like to avoid shore excursions in ports that are crowded and when ships change itineraries, there is no way to know how many ships will be in port since DCL may not be the only cruise line to alter their itinerary.

If you look at the ship excursions, you have no way to tell if the ones you want are booked or not, or if they are even offered. Now you will have to be on the ship as early as you can, spending time in line and may still not be happy with what is offered or available. What a great way to start a vacation!

I also book the itinerary I want. Regardless of the reason for changing course, I'm not really happy about it.

I'm so sorry this is happening to those sailing next week. You will have a good time, but it won't be the time you thought you were going to have when you booked on opening day.

In my experience, things don't go as well as some people like to think.

First, when your itinerary is switched from 3 sea days to 2, you will lose all of the onboard entertainment you have booked on the lost sea day. Second, in trying to accommodate you for those is next to impossible, because they are already booked with the lucky passengers whose sea day reservation didn't change.

Also, I never book ship excursions. So to scramble at the last minute and research new ports is near impossible with less than 24 hours notice till I depart my home. I like to avoid shore excursions in ports that are crowded and when ships change itineraries, there is no way to know how many ships will be in port since DCL may not be the only cruise line to alter their itinerary.

If you look at the ship excursions, you have no way to tell if the ones you want are booked or not, or if they are even offered. Now you will have to be on the ship as early as you can, spending time in line and may still not be happy with what is offered or available. What a great way to start a vacation!

I also book the itinerary I want. Regardless of the reason for changing course, I'm not really happy about it.

I'm so sorry this is happening to those sailing next week. You will have a good time, but it won't be the time you thought you were going to have when you booked on opening day.

So I have a couples massage scheduled on the day that changed from a Sea Day to the Port Day are you saying I'll lose that?

So I have a couples massage scheduled on the day that changed from a Sea Day to the Port Day are you saying I'll lose that?

No, the spa is open every day , I believe. You should be fine.

Some of the activities are only offered on sea days, like Palo brunch. Other activities are still offered on port days, but then you have to make the choice, are you going to remain on the ship or go enjoy a port stop?

ETA: To give an example, my cruise was rescheduled exactly like this one. We were supposed to go to Tortola and St. Thomas with 3 sea days. I had my activities booked, as I wanted, but now they can't switch my granddaughters Frozen Meet and Greet because they were no available slots, since they were down 1 sea day. It was on the only day of the Western Caribbean port I wanted to do an excursion. We did the Meet and Greet, we disembarked rather late because of it, the beach we went to was a madhouse and I feel like my time and money was wasted. I won't do that again.

Last edited:
No, the spa is open every day , I believe. You should be fine.

Some of the activities are only offered on sea days, like Palo brunch. Other activities are still offered on port days, but then you have to make the choice, are you going to remain on the ship or go enjoy a port stop?

Our massage is close to the all aboard time for the day, we can do a morning excursion or just go ashore and do some shopping. Thanks.

I bet the overplanners are panicking right now.

I bet the overplanners are panicking right now.

And deeply disappointed.

To be fair, Disney makes you plan, for the most part. If you wait to book onboard, some things aren't available, depending on when you get on the ship. You're going to have a better time if you're early, but I can't say for sure that they're always available. It hasn't been my experience, as I mentioned in Post 10.

I'm only working with not disappointing one grandchild. What if you have 2, 3, 4 children or more?

Hi. I’m currently on the Magic - transatlantic sailing. We are changing course to avoid Hurricane Humberto. We are going to skip both Canada port days, arrive in New York 1 day early, and overnight there. It’s been a bit bumpy so far.

Thanks for the update. Hang on!

Hi. I’m currently on the Magic - transatlantic sailing. We are changing course to avoid Hurricane Humberto. We are going to skip both Canada port days, arrive in New York 1 day early, and overnight there. It’s been a bit bumpy so far.
Define “bit bumpy!”
An overnight in NYC is actually kind of cool.

And deeply disappointed.

To be fair, Disney makes you plan, for the most part. If you wait to book onboard, some things aren't available, depending on when you get on the ship. You're going to have a better time if you're early, but I can't say for sure that they're always available. It hasn't been my experience, as I mentioned in Post 10.

I'm only working with not disappointing one grandchild. What if you have 2, 3, 4 children or more?

Going to be extra tough to get things on board too because they are going to have to reschedule the people who booked brunches/tastings/M&Gs from three port days to two, so that will for sure use up a lot of not all of the spots held back for first-day onboard bookings.

Thanks for posting! I have family on this cruise and I’ve been thinking about them. Hope the rest of the trip is wonderful for you all.

This is what happened to us on the WBTA in 2017 with two storms brewing. We only had one Canadian port (Newfoundland). We docked in NYC a day early and used it as a floating hotel.

Remember, if you know what you want already, you can also book at the guest services desk. That's what we did on the Southern Caribbean this summer. They cancelled San Juan a couple days before the cruise and substituted in St. Thomas. The line for the Port Adventures was huge, and while I was at Guest Services on Embarkation Day I just booked the SkyRide to Paradise Point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter