• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reading Challenge/Goals for 2024

March:

#15/75: Three-Inch Teeth (Joe Pickett #24) by C.J. Box (4/5) (mystery)

A rogue grizzly bear is on the loose, killing people. And Dallas Cates has been released from prison, intent on revenge against those he blames for putting him away, including Joe and Nate.

Really unhappy with what he did to the one character!

#16/75: Troubled Blood (C. B. Strike #5) by Robert Galbraith (4/5) (mystery)

Strike is asked to find a woman who went missing in 1974 under mysterious circumstances. Although he has never tackled a cold case before, he takes on the case in addition to what he and Robin are working on.

#17/75: The Fury by Alex Michaelides (3/5) (fiction)

A reclusive movie star and her friends are stranded on a private Greek island during a storm. When a murder occurs, it obviously is someone on the island.

#18/75: The Ink Black Heart (C. B. Strike #6) by Robert Galbraith (3.5/5) (mystery)

When Robin is approached by a distressed young woman who is being persecuted online, she turns her away as she feels that they cannot help her. So when Robin finds out that she has been murdered, she is horrified. The agency ends up in a quest to unmask who was responsible.

#19/75: The Running Grave (C. B. Strike #7) by Robert Galbraith (4/5) (mystery)

A worried father hires Strike to rescue his son who has joined a cult. On the surface, it appears that the group has humanitarian goals, but something sinister is under the surface. Robin goes undercover to try and rescue the young man, but she is unprepared for the dangers that await her.

#20/75:Deadly Anniversaries edited by Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini (4/5) (mystery anthology)

#21/75: When a Stranger Comes to Town edited by Michael Koryta (4/5) (mystery anthology)

Two collections of short stories by bestsellers and award winners from the Mystery Writers of America.

April:

#22/75: Argylle by Elly Conway (3.5/5) (thriller)

A Russian magnate's dream of restoring his country to greatness threatens the world. Argylle, a troubled CIA agent may be the only one with the skills to defeat him, if he can get past his troubled history.

#23/75: Iron Lake (Cork O’Connor #1) by William Kent Kruger (4/5) (mystery)

Cork is the former sheriff of a small Minnesota town struggling to deal with the breakup of his marriage that takes him away from his children. When the town judge is murdered a a local teen goes missing, Cork takes on the case, which unveils secrets that shock.

#24/75: Boundary Waters (Cork O’Connor #2) by William Kent Kruger (4/5) (mystery)

Cork is hired to locate a missing young country singer. While he leads a group to try and locate her, another group also searches for her - but with the goal of killing her.

#25/75: How to Solve Your Own Murder by Kristen Penn (3.5/5) (mystery)

1965: Frances Adams receives shocking news from a fortune teller - one day she will be murdered. Frances spends her life trying to solve the murder that has yet to occur. But one day, she is found murdered. Her great-niece Annie arrives, determined to catch the killer.

#26/75:Drift (Rachel Hatch #1) by L. T. Ryan (4/5) (mystery)

Rachel Hatch has been drifting since leaving the Army as a criminal investigator. But when her twin sister is found dead, she returns to her hometown to uncover the truth.

First book was a free read on Kindle, but the rest of the series is only free for Kindle Unlimited.

#27/75: Purgatory Ridge (Cork O’Connor #3) by William Kent Kruger (4/5) (mystery)

When an explosion kills the night watchman at a wealthy industrialist’s lumber mill, the local tribe is blamed. Cork agrees to help investigate.

#28/75: A Calamity of Souls by David Baldacci (4/5) (legal thriller)

Virginia 1968: A local male white lawyer and a Black female lawyer from Chicago team up against a deeply unfair system to find justice for their innocent Black clients, accused of murdering a prominent white couple.

I finished a couple of good books this week.
#6 - The Woman in Me by Brittany Spears
This was an interesting read, though poorly written. I really felt sorry for her and wanted to just give her a hug. I learned a lot about her that I didn't already know.

#7 - The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens
Very good book. It was hard to put down. Never a dull moment. Very suspenseful. I think I went through every emotion. Highly recommend.

#6 - The Woman in Me by Brittany Spears
This was an interesting read, though poorly written. I really felt sorry for her and wanted to just give her a hug. I learned a lot about her that I didn't already know.
That's exactly what I felt about that book. I was very surprised at how poorly written it was.

32/75 Mal Goes to War by Edward Ashton. The newest by the author of Mickey 7 which I also liked. Mal is an A.I which was just THINKING about a body, trying one on for a few minutes..then he gets stuck there in a meat suit. Lots of augmented humans and adventure.

Wow! What a great thread! And what fun! Thanks for hosting this!

Mostly a Fantasy, Sci Fi reader, but always looking for new things to read.

Since it is my first time, I'll go with 36.

1/36 Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist (a re-read)
2/36 Servant of the Empire by Raymond Feist (a re-read)
3/36 Mistress of the Empire by Raymond Feist (a re-read)
4/36 I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (new read)
5/36 The Rest of the Robots by Isaac Asimov (new read)
6/36 The Complete Robot by Isaac Asimov (new read)
7/36 The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov (new read)
8/36 The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov (new read)
9/36 The Robots of Dawn by Isaac Asimov (new read)
10/36 Robots and Empire by Isaac Asimov (new read) The current read.

More to come.....

Mostly a Fantasy, Sci Fi reader, but always looking for new things to read.
Ooh! I'll watch what you read! I read a lot of different genres but Fantasy is a big favorite of mine. I don't read much Sci-Fi but always ready to give it a chance.

#29 - Triple Cross: Book 30 of the Alex Cross series by James Patterson.
Genre - Thriller 5/5
A killer strikes under cover of darkness, triggers no alarms, and leaves no evidence behind.
Detective Alex Cross is on the hunt of a killer who is targeting entire families around Washington, DC.
But Cross isn't the only one investigating - a charismatic true-crime author has spotted patterns in the case of 'The Family Man' killer that others have missed.
It's up to Cross to determine whether the writer's theories are fact or fiction - before another family falls victim.

We finally find out who the mysterious "M" is!

12/32 - Rich Waters by Robert Bailey

Description:
"Now that attorney Jason Rich has returned home to Guntersville, Alabama, the 'In an accident? Get rich!' lawyer is anxious to leave his checkered past behind. Jason hopes this next chapter in his life will be a chance to confront his personal troubles while making amends with his family.

But when a former high school football star stands accused of killing a police officer, Jason is unwillingly thrust into the chaos. The local meth king blackmails Jason into defending the alleged murderer, and Jason knows he can’t refuse. With the lives of his family and closest friends on the line, he takes the obviously unwinnable case.

As Jason dives into the investigation, he vows to dismantle the meth empire gripping his hometown. But as he confronts alternative suspects and follows new leads, Jason realizes that everyone has secrets to hide and interests to protect—at any cost."

This is book #2 in the Jason Rich series. I really enjoyed it! The 3rd book in the series is coming out next Tuesday, and I look forward to reading it soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter