Reading during dining

AnOtHeRdIsNeYfReAk

Self-Proclaimed Super Genius
Does anyone find it rude to bring a book or read from my phone during a meal- especially at the communal dining spots like Biergarten? If someone speaks to me I'll talk, but I am a true introvert and have a hard time starting conversations with strangers. I have an especially hard time with small talk, so conversations tend to be a bit awkward unless I'm speaking with someone that is very outgoing.

I don’t find it rude, perhaps a bit curious for someone to be reading a book at the park. Certainly being on your phone is quite normal anytime any place!! Enjoy yourself!

Why does it matter what I think? If I say its rude, will you not bring it? If I say its not rude, will you then read? Are you looking for a group think majority vote to make your decisions for you?

I have a split family 2 introverts, 2 extroverts. I'm an extreme extrovert & I don't feel any need to engage an introvert that doesn't want to be engaged. Putting your attention elsewhere will send a message you're not open to discussion. In all likelihood, the others at your table won't speak your language.

I've gone solo several times & I've sat at the communal table at Nomad Lounge multiple times. I don't think this type of seating is done well by Americans, we're just not used to it. I was only bothered when others acted put out, like they were second class citizens that they had to share this table with others. Disappointed they didn't have their very own table, like its a right to have a private table (where NL doesn't take ADR & is first come first served). They made it seem bad to sit next to a stranger like me.

Last edited:
As far as reading from your phone goes, pretty much everyone these days seems to be on their phones whether it’s at mealtime or anywhere else, so I don’t think it would merit even a second glance.

I don't think reading at a restaurant is rude at all. I brought a book with me during my solo trip last year and felt less awkward sitting alone at a table because I had something to do while waiting for my meal. With that said, I generally avoid communal dining options. Do what you makes you comfortable!

I bought a specific bag for my upcoming solo trip that I can fit my Kindle in so I can read at mealtimes! I think it's a pretty average thing to do. If I were at Biergarten with a group and had a solo traveler with us, I'd feel inclined to say something and bring them into conversation - but if you had a book with you I'd see you wanted to be left alone and that'd be totally fine, of course!

Does anyone find it rude to bring a book or read from my phone during a meal- especially at the communal dining spots like Biergarten?

Not at all. It's a time-honored pasttime of solo travelers everywhere--reading a book over dinner out. That being said, I'm also a bit of a people-watcher when I dine alone. Next time you go out to eat, look around the restaurant and see how many parties of 2 or more (couples, friends, families, you name it) are not talking to each other at all, just staring at their phones. You'd be surprised how many people do that these days. At least you have a good excuse, being alone.

Not at all. It's a time-honored pasttime of solo travelers everywhere--reading a book over dinner out. That being said, I'm also a bit of a people-watcher when I dine alone. Next time you go out to eat, look around the restaurant and see how many parties of 2 or more (couples, friends, families, you name it) are not talking to each other at all, just staring at their phones. You'd be surprised how many people do that these days. At least you have a good excuse, being alone.

When I see those families/couples not interacting with each other (which isn't new with cell phones), I think "There are worse things than being alone." I always have a book and my phone and my knitting to entertain myself when solo at Disney. I've also been known to pretend to be hard of hearing to avoid responding to unwelcome overtures.

I always have a book on my phone and if I'm at home and going out to eat solo (which doesn't happen often enough for me) I take my kindle. I read on my phone in lines at WDW as well. It's not unusual at all. I do want to add that sometimes someone is looking at their phone for another reason. Often when my son and I are at WDW something on a building or a person will prompt an "I wonder" question, which one of us will look up which sparks a conversation.

I don't find it rude at all. And I do it all the time.

Especially today when you can sit at Biergarten with a family and each of them is buried in their phone. I suspect that most groups sitting at a table in Biergarten would welcome the solo traveler being buried in a book.
Why does it matter what I think? If I say its rude, will you not bring it? If I say its not rude, will you then read?
Ouch! You are quite the narcissistic. The OP isn't asking for YOU to make the decision. The OP is asking only for opinions.

I read on my phone or kindle often in restaurants when by myself. In a communal dining situation like Biergarten IF I was interested in potential conversation with tablemates (and it's ok if you're not!) I might hold off as I think the "book" could be interpreted as a signal that you aren't interested in conversation.

Ouch! You are quite the narcissistic.

Thank you! You have completely understood the point of my post. If we ask others how we should behave, then we've placed THEM in the position of power and authority. I do not look to the world to dictate my actions. As you can see, I never expressed MY opinion...as it does NOT matter what my opinion is.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s rude. I read or check emails or social media whenever I dine alone.

If I didn’t want to interact with the other diners at my table at Biergarten, I would definitely read from my phone. If I were open to conversation, I would begin by not reading and if the others at the table weren’t interested in conversation I would grab the phone.

When I travel for work I often read during a meal. There are times that I prefer some interaction, that's what sitting at the bar is for. But I don't think most people really care, they'd much rather have a person quietly reading then having screaming kids... so there is that! I say do what makes you happy.

To the original question - I don't think it's rude, but in the past I've found that a book draws more looks than a phone. Bringing a book signals that you're expecting to have to keep yourself entertained, which people who travel in groups don't really do. I've never had anyone actually comment, but I have noticed that it occasionally draws a glance. YMMV.

Re: communal seating in particular, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I also don't think I personally would go to a restaurant with communal seating if I weren't prepared to make conversation. I'm doing Biergarten myself on my upcoming trip and I don't plan to read during that meal; a big part of the upcharge is the atmosphere and I want to take that in.

When I see those families/couples not interacting with each other (which isn't new with cell phones), I think "There are worse things than being alone." I always have a book and my phone and my knitting to entertain myself when solo at Disney. I've also been known to pretend to be hard of hearing to avoid responding to unwelcome overtures.
There have been times when my housemate and I have been at a restaurant and have both been on our phones, more or less ignoring each other while we wait for our food to come. We're very close with one another and love spending time with each other...but sometimes when we've been traveling and overstimulated by a lot of things we both need a few minutes to retreat into our own heads. More or less the same thing happened last time my mom and I went to WDW--midway through the trip we had an evening or two where we got back to our room and each got out a book or an iPad or whatever and didn't interact with each other even though we were only five feet apart. Honestly, I've always been glad that the people I travel with most often are good about mutually claiming those moments of introvert recharge, since it helps us enjoy each other's company throughout the whole trip without getting overloaded and ceasing to enjoy it. At WDW (or Disneyland, or what have you) you end up spending more time in close proximity with your family and friends than in normal life--sharing a place to sleep as well as all your meals, all your entertainment, all your everything...it can get rough. So I look at couples who are taking a moment to ignore each other and I assume they're probably doing what's needed to keep themselves fresh and happy.

I've seen plenty of people reading books, and I don't think it's rude. It might be a bit off-putting in a communal table setting, but it's always been about 50/50 whether the other parties will even engage with me, so it may not even matter. Keep in mind, that it may dissuade people from trying to talk to you and it may also encourage it as they may think they need to draw you out. It is a bit dark in Biergarten, so keep that in mind. In a non-communal setting where you are at your own table, I doubt anyone would even give you a second look.

Last edited:
In my opinion it's a waste of money and time to go to a WDW restaurant and then ignore the surroundings and just read the whole time. There are details in the theming that you can perceive if you really look around. I often notice these more as a solo. At Biergarten there is a live show you can watch. I'd rather be fully present where I am, or not go. YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!