Real or Artificial?

Snowwark

DIS Veteran
We have an artificial tree for the living room, and a small one here in my "office" ;).

We always get a real tree for the family room, usually a Scotch Pine, but last year we bought some kind of Spruce. That was difficult for me to do, I'm so traditional about these kinds of things. Not sure what we'll get this year, probably the SP again.

What do you put up, artificial or real? If real, what kind of tree?

:)

Always artificial. The one year we tried a real tree, my sister ended up in the ER.

until one year hubby proved a point on how dry the trees get and how dangerous they are......he took a branch and put it in the tub and threw down a match.......the branch went pooooooooooof......and scared me to death.......we have a beautiful artificial and it looks like a real tree.......I love it

Always real, usually a Douglas fir. DH is partial to Noble fir's (his mom always had one) but I prefer the tree to be fuller. I love the smell of the tree and I love the smell after Christmas when I run the vacuum cleaner over the needles.

Real in the living room or TV room, where ever we decide to put it this year. it was a real pain the year DJ decided to hire guys to paint the whole house the week before Christmas....we moved that #$(*^& tree from room to room.

We also have a prelite fake one in our bedroom, we have awesome windows facing the front and it looks great from outside...it becomes a gymnasium for the cats.

We have one artificial in the hall and another smaller in the great room. We used to get live balled trees (Scotch pines) and plant them after Xmas. When our kids came along I became more aware of the fire risk of a real tree and bought a good looking artificial. I miss the smell but not the mess.

We have artificial trees in both our Ohio home, and in our Cape May home. For years we bought balled trees and planted them, and there are some gorgeous trees planted at our former homes as well as at some of our relative's homes. We gave DS and DDL an Alberta spruce 6 years ago, an already decorated small live tree from a mail order nursery, and it's now successfully transplanted in Boston. I have lots of growing memories! I appreciated this thread, and I paused to remember some loved ones. Thank you.

Bobbi:D

Always had a real tree until a few years ago. Purchased one at 50% off, even at that price it was 4 times the price of a live tree. This is my brake even year.

Kim those scotch pines are a killer to decorate. Purchased one may years ago, had always purchased spruces. When my fingers started bleeding I figured I'd better where gloves.

Wow Heather, what the heck happened? An allergic reaction? :eek:

I hear you Mamu. When we get scotch pines I have to wear long sleeves and gloves to decorate it, or my hands and arms are quickly covered in thousands of red bumps. I think it's the sap. They are prickly too!

Deb and Bobbi, do you put little plaques or something, by the planted trees? Something that says...."Christmas of 1991", that sort of thing? :) How nice it must be to see the holiday spirit live on! :)

A Christmas tree in the bedroom must be very cool, Vanessa. Snuggling at night, the room lit only by the lights of the tree....very romantic!! ::yes::

Pumba, it's always wonderful to see you here!! :wave2: Your DH set a branch on fire in the tub?? :eek:

I don't think my artificial tree (for the living room), is going to be put up this year. I'm just so behind with everything. :rolleyes: :D

We like a very large tree, and about 10 years ago it became cost prohibitive to buy a 12-16 foot tree. We purchased a very good looking 12' tree and placed it on an elevated stand that made it about 14' tall with plenty of space under for the packages. The branches come down so far, you can't even tell it is elevated. We did decide we will be buying a new one at the end of the season this year for our new home next year.

The large trees are very expensive, Diane!!!

Well, it's finally up and decorated. Another Scotch Pine, first one we looked at actually, but the trunk was straight, and that's so important. A little bigger than I'd planned on for our small family room, but it looks nice. :) Now I need to put the Xmas train I bought, around the bottom of it. :)

On a sad note, my parent's widowed neighbour's (they've lived next door to each other for over 40 years) daughter passed away suddenly last week. We grew up with her and her siblings. She was only 43, and leaves behind a heartbroken husband, and a beautiful little 3 year old daughter. :( :( It's so very sad....:(

Damn cat climbed the fake one and snapped the top off...need to figure out a creative way to reattach...damn cat.

very sad news kim, especially at this time of year.

That is such sad news, Kim. :(

Were you able to reattach your tree top, Vanessa? And make it cat proof? ;)

Last year, I decided I was tired of putting up our old 6ft artificial tree (which I sold this past summer) and bought a smaller 4 1/2ft one. I made a bag for it and store it in a corner of the basement the rest of the year. The ornaments and lights remain on it except for the more fragile ones. This has worked out quite well not only because it is so easy to set up but it also takes up far less room in my living room and doesn't shed "needles" like the big tree always did.

Duct tape, Vanessa!!! :p :D

Julie, I wish I had room in our basement to do that. It's a great idea! Unfortunately our basement is such a mess, we don't go down there without wearing a Hazmat suit. :rolleyes: ;) :D

My North Pole Express Xmas train has suffered a few derailments. I have to quit making tunnels with the Christmas presents.....:jester:

How about NO tree? Since Travis is all grown up and mother is in a nursing home, we are going to Houston for the holidays so, we sort of skip Christmas. No tree :(

Hopefully next year mother will be well enough to come home again and Travis will be married and will come home for the holidays. We will celebrate, then.

Aww Katholyn, I'm sorry. {{{{ Hugs }}}} I can tell that the spirit of the season is in your heart, and that is what really counts.

My Mother gave us a scare the other night. I'm just going to copy and paste from the Canadian board, what happened. :(

~Unfortunately Friday's shopping marathon turned out to be a very, very long day. After shopping DH and I went to my parents so I could show my Mom they gifts I'd bought (most of this shopping is her gifts to give to people). DH and I went home, and 15 mins. later my Dad calls to say my Mom is having chest pains. This is the first time this has happened!! We tell him to give her an aspirin and head back there as quickly as we can (they live quite close by), to take her to the hospital. The good news, no heart attack (prayers answered!), although they aren't sure what happened. She nodded on and off during the night, while we waited for test results etc. I sat in a chair, looking at her, and thinking about how much I love her. She is truly the center of the universe for my family, we adore her.

We got home at 5:30 this morning, tired, but so relieved. ~

Oh Kim,..what a terrible scare! i hope that it won't repeat itself and it's too bad you didn't get some answers. I hope your mom is ok!

Thank you, Vanessa. :) It wasn't her heart, but we will be checking everything out after the holidays.

In case you missed it on the other thread....lol...

xmastrainornamnts1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter