Reason to purchase "home resort"

momtobrynncess

DIS Veteran
DH and I are contemplating becoming DVC members, as we go at least once a year, and will likely retire to FL or close to it. I have been doing a lot of searching here on the dis. I have noticed some people say that you should buy where you plan to stay. My question is:

Is the only reason to do this because of the 11 month window for ressies? Is there another reason?

We are torn between waiting for a possible CRV (I know it's speculation right now), or to take advantage of some (what appear to be) pretty decent deals at the Timeshare Store. We stay at CR the most, and it is our preferred resort.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.......

there are certain times of the year - when it is hard is not impossible to get a DVC resort unless you own there.

doesn't mean it won't happen - just very, very hard.

wine & food festavial either BCV or BWV.

Dec 1-14, VWL, BCV, BWV - also closer to Christmas (same resorts) Dec 22-31

VB & HH - summer months

so it is more the 7th month time problem.

so if you only want to be in CRV and won't be happy in OKW - then definitely wait for CRV.

that say OKW is a great resort and has lots of benefits.

Things that will vary by home resort:

1) 11-month window
2) Purchase price
3) Maintenance fees
4) Resale price
5) End date
6) Potential to be spun off from DVC system

What am I missing?

Things that will vary by home resort:

1) 11-month window
2) Purchase price
3) Maintenance fees
4) Resale price
5) End date
6) Potential to be spun off from DVC system

What am I missing?
How about:

7) Less expensive room categories (i.e., SV at BWV, value & std at AKV)
8) Guaranteed view/service categories (i.e., Savanna / Concierge at AKV, Boardwalk View at BWV)
9) Transportation options / Proximity to major park

We are torn between waiting for a possible CRV (I know it's speculation right now), or to take advantage of some (what appear to be) pretty decent deals at the Timeshare Store. We stay at CR the most, and it is our preferred resort.

If you really want the CR & are willing to wait a year or so to find out if it will become reality:wizard: ; why not purchase a small resale to test the waters.

You could bank/borrow/tranfer points in from another member to cover you while you wait for the good news.

DH and I are contemplating becoming DVC members, as we go at least once a year, and will likely retire to FL or close to it. I have been doing a lot of searching here on the dis. I have noticed some people say that you should buy where you plan to stay. My question is:

Is the only reason to do this because of the 11 month window for ressies? Is there another reason?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.......
In addition to the home resort priority, some resort will have an inherently greater per point value than others. For the existing resorts, that's easy to judge but not as much so for new resorts. Dues will also vary and likely be higher for some resorts, esp for VB and likely for HH in years to come. Some will also be easier to sell both in terms of home resort and contract size.

In addition to the home resort priority, some resort will have an inherently greater per point value than others.

Hey Dean: Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by "inherently greater per point value".

Just look at the difference in point cost on the resale market between SSR and BCV.
That's the main part. The other part is that some units return a value (cash rate compared to points) higher than others.

Potential to be spun off What does this mean??

What I think the poster means is they think there is a potential that a resort will be released from part of Disney to become it's own entity.

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone suggest this as a possibility. I do not think it is feasible based on three things.

First. Disney owns all the property that DVC resorts rest on. (The land is leased to DVC for a period of 50 years)

second, Disney pays nothing to maintain these resorts.

third. Disney makes alot of money renting unreserved rooms at these resorts.

What I think the poster means is they think there is a potential that a resort will be released from part of Disney to become it's own entity.

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone suggest this as a possibility. I do not think it is feasible based on three things.

First. Disney owns all the property that DVC resorts rest on. (The land is leased to DVC for a period of 50 years)

second, Disney pays nothing to maintain these resorts.

third. Disney makes alot of money renting unreserved rooms at these resorts.

But VB and HHI are already standalone resorts and could survive without Disney.

But VB and HHI are already standalone resorts and could survive without Disney.

And if they would be "spun off", you would no longer be able to book the other DVC resorts. You would just have that resort. It's unlikely to happen, but there is a provision in the contract for it.

Also, if the resorts would be destroyed (say by a hurricane), they could decide not to rebuild, distribute the insurance proceeds to members, and those points would be gone from the DVC system. More likely to happen at Vero or HH than the WDW resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter