• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recent Accident

SteinsLaFemme

Mouseketeer
On Monday I fell and broke a bone in my left ankle and a bone in my right foot. I now have two casts from my toes to my knees and can't put weight on either foot. I am in a wheelchair for the first time. I am not in any pain at all.

I have a Disney trip planned with my family in two weeks. I haven't decided if I am cancelling it or not. I have many questions about taking the vacation with my family.
- Do I need some sort of documentation to take to the parks to say that I have a medical condition that requires me to be in a wheelchair? (Even though the casts make it kind of obvious.)
- Where can I make arrangements to rent one of those electric scooter things that I can use at the hotel as well as the park?
- Is there any sort of printed material I can read that explains which attractions I can see and which I cant? I can get off the wheelchair and take a few steps.
- How is the bathroom situation? Do the regular public bathrooms fit a wheelchair? I can get on and off of the wheelchair myself. It think I can get to and from the stall if I put the wheelchair close to it.

Any advise you can give me would help. Thank you all --

See the Disabilities FAQ on this board above. This has all of the information you will need.

You don't need any written documentation.

The FAQ includes addresses of off-site scooter rental companies.

I believe the FAQ includes details of access to rides and attractions. some you stay in your scooter, some you will need to transfer to a manual chair which they will provide near the entrance, some you need to walk on. I can't transfer at all, and so have to skip 50% of all the rides. I still have a great time!

The thread 'Confused about boarding attractions' has all the information you need.

You won't get your ECV into regular stalls but ...

There are Handicap accessible stalls in most rest rooms which are larger, there are large restrooms at all the first aid stations and family/companion restrooms dotted around the parks. You will be OK with your ECV. (I always make a mental note every time I see a handicap or family/companion restroom so I know where they are if I need them in a hurry. I sometimes go inside or put my head inside the door just to check them out if they are empty).

Andrew

One other thing to do. If you are back in your doctor's office before the trip have the person who will remove the casts draw lines (with a Sharpie or equivilant) where the casts will be cut. When you meet characters ask them to autograph the casts (again bring along Sharpies) and be sure to not sign accross a line, after the casts are removed you will have an unusual souvenier of the trip.

Cheshire Figment said:
One other thing to do. If you are back in your doctor's office before the trip have the person who will remove the casts draw lines (with a Sharpie or equivilant) where the casts will be cut. When you meet characters ask them to autograph the casts (again bring along Sharpies) and be sure to not sign accross a line, after the casts are removed you will have an unusual souvenier of the trip.

Great idea! My DD12 has kept her hot pink cast from 2 yrs ago because Cinderella signed it at the castle. Luckily, she signed in the right place :goodvibes

I still have my cast from 3 years ago when I shattered my ankle. LOts of characters signed it.

I only know about the ladies restrooms, but all of the handicapped stalls in the Studio and at AK are large enough to have the wheelchair in the stall with you.
Most of the handicapped stalls in MK and Epcot are not large enough to fit a wheelchair into the stall. For those parks, you can find a list of Companion Restrooms in the Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities for each park. You can pick up a copy in any of the parks. You can also find the text from them on the internet. There is a link in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter